“Beautiful sunset wedding at the Warwick Fiji”
Review of The Warwick Fiji

The Warwick Fiji
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Coral Coast
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beautiful sunset wedding at the Warwick Fiji”
Reviewed 11 April 2006

We stayed for a week at the warwick in march 2006. We arrived late on a monday night (ring ahead to check if your flight is running late, we didn't!) and our wedding ceremony was on the friday. I'm glad we had a chance to acclimatise to the humidity, as it was really warm. The heat was wonderful though, very relaxing.
The warwick isn't a posh hotel, nor is it a complete bogan hang-out, its somewhere inbetween. There were a fair few middle-aged people, but also quite a lot of families. The service was pretty good, after you get your head around Fiji Time... you really have to go with it. Order lunch an hour before you actually want to eat it, make your own adjustments... as there really is no point in trying to hurry the staff. And the food was very good. We ate at all the restaurants, and our favourite was the wicked walu island.
The absolute magic of our stay was being on the all-inclusive food and drink package (booked through travel agent). The wristband wasn't the most stylish thing to wear, but if you ask to put it on yourself, you can attach it loosely and slip it on and off at will. This meant that all our drinks and meals were included... and very good value, as the food was sydney restaurant prices. One thing that they don't let you know (we found out when organising our wedding reception) was that they had just introduced a set menu at both the seafood and italian restaurants on the all-inclusive package. This means we weren't limited to the buffet, and didn't eat there once. I really don't think this was a well-known fact, as it wasn't written in the information you get on check-in.
The facilities were great, the pool was wonderful... 35 degree water you just slip into, and no complaints about the swim-up bar and the delicious free ice-creams!
The guys in our party got into all the adventurous/physical things on offer like the scuba diving ($135), archery, snorkelling, mountain biking, squash and tennis etc and had a great time. Likewise, did the girls who just took it easy by the pool.
The rooms were fine, my only quibble was the mustiness of the pillows and a slightly damp odour. It is a tropical climate, though!
The wedding co-ordinator was wonderful, and the wedding itself was a dream.
A tropical storm cleared just in time for us, and the wet-weather alternative wasn't very good (opening up the nightclub). So lucky the rain cleared to a beautiful sunset.
It was sunny for at least a major part of the days, although on half the days we got a lunchtime shower for a couple of hours. Keeps the sunburn to a minimum anyway. A good time of year to go, I think. It wasn't too windy at all.
A great place to stay with a group of people, and a beautiful setting for a wedding.

• Stayed March 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brad D, General Manager at The Warwick Fiji, responded to this review, 15 April 2017
Bula from Warwick Fiji,

We note you stayed with us sometime ago and wanted to let you know we have invested heavily into the resort and its team members to make Warwick Fiji one of the leading resorts in Fiji.

You should see us now and we welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again when next looking to visit Fiji and the famous Coral Coast.

The Warwick Fiji team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 15 March 2006

We stayed at the Warwick Fiji for 4 days en-route to New Zealand last July. I liked the hotel - couldn't fault it - but, as with all "resort hotels" it is like being in a very comfortable prison. If you're the type to go off exploring then Fiji is not for you full stop. We hired a car at Nadi airport and it spent all its time sitting outside the hotel. Whilst we did try to sightsee, the island is really small and very underdeveloped and mountainous so the roads inland just stop!

The coral reef is amazing, as are all the freaky fish, and sitting on the beach, looking at the strange night sky was really memorable. If you like to flop on a sunbed, read a book and look at the (ridiculously) pretty scenery then this type of holiday is a winner. The Warwick is a nice resort and the staff are really friendly and welcoming. The room was very basic, but clean and nice, food was great and the gardens are blooming lovely.

My advice for anyone visiting Fiji would be to stay in a few different places and to make sure that you spend some time island-hopping. If, however, you do have to stay in one place, then you won't go far wrong with the Warwick.

• Stayed July 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 13 March 2006

I don't have a lot to add to the other reviews, as we only stayed for a single weekend. We found the breakfast buffet to be the best breakfast we've had in Fiji. Finding a good breakfast in Fiji can be difficult. The rooms were clean and air conditioned. The pools were clean and the beaches were OK.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bula from Warwick Fiji,

We note you stayed with us some time ago and wanted to let you know we have invested heavily into the resort and its team members to make Warwick Fiji one of the leading resorts in Fiji.

Reviewed 28 February 2006

My wife and I and my 2 boys aged 12 and 15 stayed at the warwick last year. This was the first overseas trip for the boys and given the unrest in other countries and recommendations from friends we decided Fiji and the Warwick were the go.
We booked 2 rooms one for us and one for the boys in the Nandi wing on advice from friends. I emailed the hotel a month prior to our holiday and requested ground floor rooms opposite each other(across the corridor) This gave the boys a room where they could walk straight out of their room to the pool and us a room on the quiet side of the hotel with a ground level balcony looking out over lush manicured tropical gardens. We also had the advantage of being able to go through the boys room to ours rather than using the hotel corridors.
Now for the tricks.
When we arrived we asked for both bar fridges to be cleaned out and not refilled till after we left. While we had paid for our meals before we left Australia we were not on an all inclusive package that included drinks which I had worked out would actually be more expensive than how we did it. Beer at the resort was about $6.00 a stubby and soft drinks a bit under $3-00. About a kilometre back towards Nandi there is a service station that sells beer and soft drinks beer was about $35-00 a slab and the soft drinks a dollar and a taxi there and back was about $4-00 You do the maths. On eack floor there are ice machines, pack a small 6 pack esky and you have your own portable bar, we did this for the 2 weeks we were there the staff didn't mind and even gave us glasses form the bar when we had our gin and tonics.
Next if you are a wine drinker it pays to take some wine in or if you need to buy it in Fiji take a day trip to Suva early in your stay and ask your driver to take you to the bottle shop up in the diplomatic area of town, allowing for exchange wine was cheaper there than in australia for some brands. Wine at the resort is very expensive even for average wines. You can take your own and there is a $10-00F corkage charge it works out a lot cheaper.
If you are there for a few days check out Ma Blus she is opposite the front gate of the Naviti resort. Blue house can't miss it. She does washing, massage and has a great range of crafts for sale all a lot cheaper than the resort and a cultural experience to boot. Her husband has a toyota camry and is a great driver and guide, works out the same price as the tour bus trips but he knows the area and all the people and special little places the buses miss. There is a free shuttle that runs between the Warwick and the Naviti every couple of hours so take the opoportunity and have a look and a day by their pool.
Mostly the food was great we had pre purchased meal vouchers and rather than use then at the buffet we went mostly to the italian and wicked walu restraunt where the vouchers were worth a $35-00 credit more than enough for a quality main course and waiter service as opposed to the buffet.

Finally do everything, we snorkelled, kayaked, scuba diving lessons in the pool, horse riding , small fee but well worth it,Karoke and sunset drinks on the balcony, went to the local catholic church (incredible singing) and visited a couple of local villages. We got to know some of the staff and my wife attended a wedding and on another day one of the staff invited us to his village (if invited to someones home you should take kava root as a gift) and took us on a walk to the local waterfall with his family, on our final night we had to go to both eateries for farewell songs and ended up the night at Wicked Walu dancing with the staff and drinking kava.

• Stayed May 2005
27 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Sydney
Reviewed 9 February 2006

Ok, seriously. Stop looking. I stayed at The Warwick for 7 nights in May 2005. From the moment I arrived I was treated with respect and courtesy. I spent the previous week at the Sheraton on Denarau Island, and while it is a very classy resort, the staff weren't as friendly and the experience not as memorable.
I was 24 at the time and travelling alone. The staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable.
Heck, one of the staff members even took me back to his village to meet his family and indulge in a Kava ceremony.
The rooms are not outstanding, but still very clean, which is all you really need when you stay in an exotic location and the only time you are in your room is to catch up on Zzzzs.
Although I had a ball, it's probably not a place for singles. It would be ideal for families with young kids or teenagers. Mum and Dad can enjoy a Fiji Bitter on the balcony while watching their kids in the pool.
The food is also surprisingly good. I was on a meal/drink plan, which entitled me to all I could drink (limited spirits), as well as meals in the restaurants up to a certain value. I would recommend taking that deal if you can get it.

You won't be disappointed if you stay in this hotel.
They even sent me a postcard when I arrived back in Australia, thanking me for staying there. Now how many places do that??

Stayed May 2005
9 Thank Big_Mick81

Canberra
Reviewed 9 February 2006

I just got back yesterday from a wonderful holiday at The Warwick with my partner. I had read many of the bad reviews and it nearly put me off staying here but I'm glad I went with my gut instinct. We had a package deal (all inclusive) which was excellent value.
Arrival
The first night we arrived rather late(the bus ride was slow and with The Warwick being the last of the drop off points we arrived around 10pm). We received a cooling drink at check in and made it just in time for the end of the buffet. I was pleasantly suprised by the room, located on the first floor of the Suva wing, it was spacious and had a gorgeous ocean view.
The breakfast buffet had a great choice (pancakes, eggs, cereal, toast, bacon etc) and the chef in the Japanese restaurant was happy to fry an egg to your liking or make an omlette of your own creation. The wait staff were attentive and friendly.
Lunch was always nice at the pool deck (steak sandwiches, hamburgers, salads etc).
I couldn't complain about dinner either. Most nights we ate at the buffet at the cafe but we also tried the italian restaurant.
Weather
It was gorgeous the entire time- I had a great holiday working on my tan- It rained twice, once at night and once when we went to Kula Eco Park.
Activities
There is so much to do at the resort, we lazed around on lounges by the pool and beach, snorkelled, went canoeing bascially just relaxed. We took the glass bottom boat ride offered by the resort, it cost $20 FJD each and the boat ride took around 1 hour, out to the breakers. Me and boats do not agree and the rocking motion teamed with peering into the water while circling the coral reefs made me queasy and desperate to get back to land. Others on the boat seemed to enjoy themselves and the staff were happy to answer any questions.
We also went to the firewalking show (held on Mondays and Fridays) the cost was included in our package but I think the price per head was $15. The show was good and we were able to have photos taken with the firewalkers.
The shopping trip to Sigatoka was also included in our package. We went on a Saturday on a bus arriving at 10 and picked up at 1:30. It was very hot the day we went and we covered all the shops in around an hour. We filled in the time by having a drink in one of the air conditioned shops and going back through all the shops. We were warned not to go to the markets which we didn't however were approached by pushy store owners on numerous occasions. I would recommend the shopping trip but not for time we spent. You can easily see the town in an hour. We has a lovely lunch in the cafe next to Jacks.
Kula Eco Park- I was put off by the brochure but we felt we should go and see the local wildlife. Well worth it. A free bus took us to the park which is located opposite The Outrigger, entrance price was $20 per head. The staff were so friendly and knowledgable, we were able to hold the iguanas and luckily we managed to start a conversaton with one of the staff and he walked around with us. He let us hold some of the birds which was great and he was happy to answer any questions. We were also there for turtle feeding which is at 11am every day. The park have a commuity awareness program and offer the chance to sponsor local schoolchildren to visit the park. We did and it cost $20.
At the end of the resort on the Nadi side there are about 6 or 7 shops which have been set up by the locals in which they sell souvenirs. I got some great necklaces, sarongs etc (much cheaper than shop prices), take change because they don't have any. I ended up spending $50 and they were so grateful they threw in a few thankyou gifts.
Local entertainment at Hibiscus Nightclub
One night the resort offered entertainment in the nighclub, traditional song and dance- entertaining and free.
Sunday Choir- A local choir sung for around 40 minutes on Sunday- lovely to watch.
All in all I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday. I think it would have been a little hard if it had rained and I am so grateful we had perfect weather. I don't really have any negative comments. Some of the older staff seemed a little grumpy at times but I think that was the stress of busy dinner service. I also was a little confused at times about booking activities, each staff member would tell you something different and you would book and turn up and then be told you needed a receipt or that it was at a different time etc.
I would totally recommend The Warwick and if you have any questions I am happy to answer them.

• Stayed February 2006
13 Thank Stacey L

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2006

My wife and I got married with friends and family at the Warwick in early September '05. We stayed 1 week at the Warwick with our guests and spent the next week off at Mana Island having our honeymoon.

Overall, the Warwick was a great resort for a first time destination to Fiji. Whilst travelling we saw a number of other resorts and cosmetically, we thought the Warwick was up there with the best.

Breakdown:

Hotel: 5/5

The hotel was very good, and in a better location (ie. away from the Coral Coast) would be really hard to beat. We found it clean and quite refreshing. Plenty of places to sit and have a drink.

Staff: 4/5

The staff can be a mixed bag. Most Fijians are wonderful people, very friendly and open and the same can be said of the majority of staff at this resort. Some of the staff at the Warwick seemed to give you the tone of voice or look in their eyes that they really didn't enjoy helping you, and would probably prefer it if you didn't ask them any questions. This only happened a couple of times, but overall they are a very nice people.

Room Service was okay if you dont mind waiting - the old 'Fiji Time' really kicks in. We got used it, being laid back Aussies, but sometimes if you are out of toilet paper, the clock is really ticking!

Rooms: 3/5

The rooms are what you'd consider average apartment style lodgings. We were placed on the east wing toward the back. This wouldnt have been so bad (the room was tidy, and it looked a lot newer than the original West wing which smelled a bit musty/mouldy) however right outside is a power generator. On the first two nights this was going until about 2.30 in the morning. I dont mind a bit of 'white noise' but a generator going full steam ahead outside does not make for the best sleeping conditions. The facilities in the room were adequate and well maintained.

Facilities/Entertainment: 5/5

There's a fair bit to do at the Warwick if you never want to leave the resort. There's two main pools and we stayed around the Eastern smaller pool (closer to our rooms). This was quite good as there was a bar nearby and most people flocked to the bigger pool which has an in-built bar. No matter which you prefer, there's plenty of lounges.

Activities for the adventurous are aplenty - tennis, archery, canoeing, snorkelling (though nothing to see in the dead coral), massages, a hairdresser and more.

At night there is fire walking, dance shows and a nightclub. The nightclub isn't half bad - the local DJ has limited music, so after we heard Will Smith for the 3rd time we offered him some of our own CDs which he was happy to play to add variety. Overall there's plenty to keep you active.

There's some shops for those looking to shell out their cash but the prices are much more expensive than those in Sigatoka or Nadi, so perhaps save your money unless you really need it (such as Gastrolite to help those tummy upsets).

Access outside Warwick:

There's plenty to do if you want to experience some of the Fiji culture.

I don't recommend taking the 3 hour return trip to Suva - there's really nothing that's worth such a trip on the bus, and it will cost you $90 return to take a private taxi.

Nearby Sigatoka (20 mins each way, about $20 return) is a nice way to experience the culture in Fiji. It is heavily populated by Indian-Fijians who want to sell you everything they have. If you can get past their attention seeking, you can find a nice bargain such as fake clothes (cheap for vacation!), a supermarket if you want to take some snacks/drinks (much cheaper than the hotel bars and shops), and plenty of souvenirs. Just make sure the wood is treated and stamped, otherwise customs will snatch it back off you. Pig skin drums seem to be a favourite for wood bugs to make a habitat, and of the 4 our family brought back in, only 1 was allowed through.

Also, if you want to use some internet time for loved ones, i definetely recommend stopping in the little cafe next to Jack's in Sigatoka. The per minute rates are excellent (compared to the hotel), and they do a really nice fish burger!

One other thing everyone should do is a trip to the local schools. Seeing the little kids is a real heart warmer and they are such a beautiful group of young individuals with open hearts and loving attitudes. It's only an afternoon and you'll have a great time.

Food & Beverage:

Food at the Warwick was very good. The buffets are... buffets and the food is decent for being quickly served up. We had our wedding reception at the Wicked Walu and their meals were delicious. The Tepanyaki bar is very nice, and the Italian restaurant is good but a little pricey. We tried them all and they were great.

On a note, if you are looking for a great seafood, there's a seafood restaurant 10 mins toward Nadi from the Warwick. The food is very safe to eat, cheaper than the Wicked Walu, and a greater selection. Well worth a stop!

Having a Wedding: 5/5

We decided about a year before we went to Fiji, that it was going to be our wedding destination. We were treated really really well, and when comparing costs to having it back home, we saved money, time and stress!

Organising the wedding through the co-ordinator at the Warwick (Una) was easy as pie. They handled everything from location to the celebrant to certificates, champagne, hair and makeup... the lot. We saw a wedding almost every day we were there and they all looked as great as ours was.

The reception was at the Wicked Walu and the meal, drinks and cake were fabulous - the cake is huge by the way, so unless you like a lot of cake, it's best to just take a single tier. It still looks great.

We received some gifts and a massage from the place, and throughout the whole time we really felt as though we were treated amazingly well. Anyone who is considering a wedding at the Warwick couldn't go wrong.

Weather: 3/5

The weather is a mixed bag. It was really windy for half the time we were there, so we stayed in areas were we were shielded from the wind - the pools are good because they are nestled in between the tall buildings.

Fortunately we received only a little bit of rain, but at times the dark clouds coming from the mountains threatened a dumping of wet weather. On the clear days it was quite warm, around 30-32 degrees which is comfortable, and a much drier heat so you don't feel as if you can eat the air.

Overall: 4/5

Would we go back to the Warwick again? If we didn't go anywhere after the Warwick, I'd say yes. If I had a family to take there with children, I'd say yes. Certainly the cost is reasonable and the experience overall is quite good.

If you venture out to the islands though, you will see the type of Fiji that is advertised on brochures and television - "get the Fiji holiday feeling". In experiencing that side of things, it will be difficult to convince myself to stay on the Coral Coast instead of the lush islands. Don't let this deter you though, as the cost between the islands and the Warwick can differ considerably.

Overall the experience at the Warwick was very pleasant and one which I still remember fondly when I think back to what was the greatest time of my life (getting married) and the whole Fiji experience.

If you have any questions about the Warwick or Fiji i'd be really happy to answer based on our experiences.

• Stayed September 2005

Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,859 reviews
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The Warwick Fiji? Share your experiences!