“Rough Start to a Great Ending”

Mykonos Ammos Hotel
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ornos
Reviewed 9 July 2014

When we arrived at the Mykonos Ammos Hotel after two days of traveling, the hotel did not have our reservation starting until the next night. You can imagine our disappointment and frustration. We had our reservation confirmation emails printed and the staff was apologetic. They put us up in their "sister" property down the road and assured us they would upgrade us to their "finest suite" for the following 3 nights. I was very skeptical. The sister property was awful - horrible odor, next to a construction site. But the next day the staff came through - with deep apologies we were led to a huge, beautiful beach side suite. The room was great but the real gem was Esmerelda. Her restaurant and activity suggestions really made our trip to Mykonos so memorable. Every single suggestion she made was exactly perfect.
Thank you, Es!

Room Tip: Rooms are sound proof so the outdoor noise is very minimal.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EJG111

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just returned from a week at Ammos arranged through Secret Escapes. Excellent holiday, great location. Our room over looked the larger of the two pools, close to all amenities. Staff could not have been more polite or helpful. A special mention to Mirranda who was brilliant. She recommended some fabulous restaurants, arranged hire car and advised on beaches to visit. A trip to the old port and little Venice in Mykonos town is a must and easy to reach on the bus. Lovely meal at Kiki's at Agios Sostis.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have been to Ammos for the last two summers and it was even better than i remembered. The hotel itself is modern, chic with everything you could need. The restaurant Kuzina is one of the best on the island and the small italian Farina does amazing pizza and pasta. The hotel is located on one of the best beaches in Mykonos (ornos) and they provide gorgeous sunloungers here. The day starts out very relaxed and by the afternoon it is busy with a great DJ but still very chilled out atmosphere. The staff both at beach and hotel are lovely.Could not love this hotel more! Only downside for us was there was no gym but there is a great one about 1km away so not a big problem.

Room Tip: if yiou can get a ground ocean view room you will have a small patio which goes onto the beach which...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I went to Ammos Hotel 2 years ago and it had just opened. So I decided to go back as the location is great, and so is the hotel. So yes Ammos is still a beautiful hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. the shower is great. The design is really wow! I love it. And very important, once you close the door to your room (we had a room by the pool) you didn't hear a sound of the music on the beach or from the other room except once the door from the room next to ours.

Breakfast is good, a good variety of breads, croissants, cakes, local specialties, eggs, fresh pineapple, melon and watermelon, but for some reason they had canned fruit salad which I found hard to understand. The restaurant is excellent, but quite expensive.

The beach is always great, but the music was louder than before and getting louder ever hour which is fun the first day, but then gets boring as the DJ plays the same songs again and again.

A few things that went wrong on the three times I had to deal with the reception of Ammos.

I sent an email to ask them to send a car to the port and signed my email by my name, the person who answered me referred to me with a completely different name. When I asked her if she had read it correctly she apoligised saying she had had a long day... If I did that in my job, I wouldn't last long!

Then when we arrived at the port, they called to ask where we were because the driver had been waiting for us for 'very long'. The ship was late as it was a long weekend and lots of people and cars had to board. Again when I reached I mentioned that I didn't really appreciate being called on a foreign number as I was already in the car and she argued that a lot of tourist didn't look properly.

And last, the day before I left, I went to reception to ask them to arrange for the transfer and to prepare the check-out. She looked at her list and told me that I was on her check-out list, then pulled out my reservation and told me I was to leave the next day. I explained to her that I had changed my reservation two days after I first booked, she started arguing and when I showed her my reservation on my phone she apologised.

To me this is a lack of professionalism. For a hotel which is part of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World, they need to be more centered and professional and not behave like amateurs.

The other things we noticed, and I'm Greek origins but not the the friend who was with me, was that Greeks had a far better and quicker service on the beach, but that a detail.

Internet worked better than two years ago in the bedrooms, but hardly ever worked in the restaurant or on the beach. But then didn't work in most restaurant on that beach.

In short, the prices have gone up by at least 50% in 2 years if you book in advance or get a good offer on internet, much more if you try a last minute booking, but for no extra service and still have to pay for your sunbed which I find quite hard to accept.

I would recommend Ammos, especially for it's location and design. And had a great holiday and Mykonos is always a beautiful island.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, as on the beach it's very noisy!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Was here one week had a great experience here all staff were lovely . Was given a different room to the one I booked but they offered to move me but room I was given was fine and they gave me free sun beds for the week . The breakfast buffet was delicious and sushi in afternoon a must . Thanks for a nice week to all staff

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were allocated the Ammos on arrival as our chosen hotel had building issues and what a wonderful result. We were upgraded to a suite, free sunbeds and 15% off of food in the beach side restaurant. The staff were excellent, very attentive and keen to ensure we had a wonderful stay. The hotel is right on the beach which is in a horseshoe bay, on the beach are free soft sofas and chairs along with beds and cabanas. The hotel is about 4 minutes from Mykonos town with a bus stop just yards from the hotel, fare is €1.60. Taxi is approx €10 but not as much fun as the bus. The supermarket and Pharmacy are about a 10 minute walk along with other small shops but as there are no pavements you have to be a bit warey of the few cars that come along.
Mykonos town is wonderful it's so easy to get lost in the little streets but that is part of the fun, little Venice is lovely but expensive, the harbour has at least 10 restaurants to choose from as well. Overall a really nice holiday, will come back and will definitely choose the Ammos. We wanted a relaxing break and this was the perfect place for it but also very easy to get to the town.
Ask for a room upstairs as they have a view over the beach or a beachside room but they will be a bit more expensive. If you can upgrade go for the suite,it's worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if available or a room upstairs above the bigger swimming pool as these rooms are...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BobbyboyLondon
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We had three wonderful days at Ammos. Modern nice decorated rooms, nice pool area, super breakfast, nice restaurant, amazing coctails and the perfect beach area. Very welcoming staff. Buses takes you to town in 10 minutes.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank EMKM63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ornos
Kivotos Mykonos
Mykonos Blanc Hotel
#12 of 22 in Ornos
Myconian Ambassador Relais & Chateaux Hotel
Kensho Boutique Hotel & Suites

Been to Mykonos Ammos Hotel? Share your experiences!