“Amazing instructor”
Review of Kontiki Divers

Kontiki Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Scuba Diving in Cebu, PADI Courses, Recreational & Technical Diving
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Amazing instructor”
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

I spent a bit more than one month doing my divemaster with Greg at Kontiki's

In some of the previous reviews I see that people complained about the equipment, the shop and lodging. I'd like to ad my grain of sand on these topics.

I've seen the staff maintain the equipment for a month and they are without reproach. Is the gear a bit used...yes but it is in perfect condition. The shop could look better yes but overall are we diving in the shop or in the water? The lodging was basic but I stayed there more than a month and never complained and there is AC in every room which is rare in the rest of the Philippines. I also should point out that the lodging is in no way related to Kontiki Divers.

Now the good bit! Greg! I had the most fun filed divemaster and Greg will take you from a mediocre at best diver to expert divemaster giving you more than is required by PADI standards.

I flew through my instructor course after because Greg taught me that well.

The diving spot is perfect for learning and diving and believe me it is rare to find a spot where you can do everything in such a small area. Nice sandy patch to learn skills, nice coral area to observe and be mesmerised by the wildlife and a nice wall drop for deep diving. Wrecks and caves are closely too!

Oh I have to add that all of this is only 20 minutes away from Cebu City's centre and the water is pristine!

Visited March 2013
3 Thank Superded

Manila, Philippines
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A typical Philippines dive shop”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Dive with Kontiki a few months back. Nothing special. Mismatch equipment, maintenance seemed just average but the crew usually makes up for all of these drawbacks.

For the beginner divers, do not get your expectations high as being a PADI 5 stars establishment is not a sign of 5 stars services and equipment. It just mean you ticked a few boxes and paid for the right to use the name.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank The_pinay_traveller
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Overrated”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Kontiki divers is listed as a 5 Star PADI dive shop, but if falls short of the standards of a 5 star dive shop. Though the staff was very welcoming as the Philippinos are known to be, there were many problems. The equipment was not properly maintained and salt deposits were clearly visible. We were not asked to show our dive certificates. The dive master only briefed us before the first dive, and there was no briefing before the second dive. The dive master was in charge of 5 people and allowed the group to be separated during the second dive. Eventually, he surfaced with one part of the group and hopped on the boat while by friend and I were still diving...alone. On arrival back at the shop, the tide was low and some slippery ramps were exposed. One employee of Kontiki Divers was in charge of informing the customers not to use the ramps because they were slippery, but instead of positioning himself as to block access to the ramps, he watched while one after another (3 in total) fell on the same slippery ramp. Eventually, one person got seriously injured and had to be taken to the hospital to get stitches on her chin as a result of the fall. Overall, I would 'not' recommend Kontiki Divers and I believe their 5 Star rating is incorrect and overrated.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Zulumbi
KontikiDivers, Manager at Kontiki Divers, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Zulumbi,

Thank you very much for your honest review of Kontiki Divers.
This was really not the best moment in our history. Right after all the incidents we conducted a staff meeting during which we have discussed all the things that went wrong on that day. We have already implemented new procedures to avoid such incidents including the slippery ramp which unfortunately is a public one. We have spoke with the property owner already and improvements will be done withing this week. I am not going make any excuses here however to be fair to our business we have been doing a great job for the last 3 years under new management with lots of very happy customers who wrote nice reviews about us. I hope that people will give us a little credit and not judge us just by this one bad day at work.

Manager
Kontiki Divers Scuba Adventures
Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Everything is just better than expected”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I participated the AOW course provided by Kontiki diving shop. Things (transportation, communication,lessons. etc) are all well arranged in a professional way. Thanks for all the efforts made by the whole team.

Visited May 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

1 Thank Qin G
Hong Kong, China
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“long week end diving”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Well, from HK everything is closed in Asia... and Philipinnes like Thailande are excellent playing grounds for divers :-), so I book a package with Kontiki divers. Must be honnest contact 2 dives centers. Kontiki and Scooty divers.... I still wait for an answer from Scooty, when I got my answer from Kontiki divers in the 24 hours following my first email..... And I don't regret it :-)
I have dive the 3 days with OLE, very good DM. Kontiki staff are really looking to safety and the following of rules... And it's really a pleasure.
Thanks to all the Team for your very nice welcoming, your help and kindness

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Lafusee2
KontikiDivers, Manager at Kontiki Divers, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you very much for this nice review.
We are glad that you have enjoyed diving with us.
Hope to see you again.