“OMG! Slimy salad!! This place USED to be great - not now!!”
Review of The Priory Pub

The Priory Pub
Ranked #47 of 111 Restaurants in North Shields
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We've had 2 good meals here and taken visiting family, but that was a few years ago. We visited Tynemouth today and went to The Priory for lunch. We ordered a burger and a panini, which come with salad and chips. We've never been served a salad like that - the chopped bits of lettuce were slimy and brown on both of the chopped ends. We had paid before the meal at the bar. I hardly ever complain - I'm not bothered if there are a few browned edges on lettuce - but this was really gross - the type of slime that probably harbours bacteria....... So we said to the waitress that we thought the salad was out of date - she went to see the chef, then returned and said 'thats just the way the salad comes' - we told her no way, and she said 'well what, do you want a new salad?'. We left soon after - we will never return - it was shocking - we were so disappointed.

2  Thank aduggan101

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Went for Sunday lunch with family over the Bank Holiday. The only vegetarian option was a goats cheese tart with salad and potatoes. Nothing else on offer, even soup had bacon in it. The tart was really terrible and the salad was the worst salad I had ever had in my life. Would not return to this place, and would not recommend it to anyone. Best avoided!!

1  Thank ttarpe
Reviewed 4 May 2014

In March my family was looking to head home from a week-end break via the coast and having a traditional Sunday lunch and when a pub at Tynemouth was recommended we opted for there. The staff at the Priory Pub & Restaurant were very helpful with booking a table and very friendly when we got there - confirming it a good choice. We were not disappointed by the meal - which was excellent value and with a good range of choices. That was confirmed by the number of obvious 'locals' who were in for lunch. Some were accompanied, in the bar, by very well-behaved friendly dogs - which my grand-daughter thought was fabulous so the four of us - age range 5 to 60+ really enjoyed the lunch. The experience was made even better when the Manager spotted that some of our menu choices (when sweets were added) would have qualified for 'package' prices and reduced a bill that we already thought was very fair.
After such a pleasant lunch, followed by some useful gift shopping, we all thought that - despite the aggravation, on arrival, in parking - we would return as often as possible. Then things went sour! It had taken me so long to try to park that I had needed to drop my family at the pub and resume trying to find somewhere. If the visitor parking is totally inadequate in March what must it be like in the Summer and/or when major events are held! After conscientiously avoiding residents' parking areas and now overdue for lunch I thought I had found somewhere that was OK (as away from Front St. and outside commercial premises that definitely don't operate on Sundays). However we came back to a parking ticket. In the rush due to being so late, I had missed yet another 'permit only' sign.
Because I had seen cars that apparently exceeded the 2 hour limit elsewhere apparently avoid 'tickets' and because even worse I had seen a car parked for at least 90 mins. in a dangerous place, on 'double yellows', apparently avoid penalty, I have to feel that parking control is inconsistent and coupled with a shortage of parking spaces, the local authority is not worried about discouraging visitors. It makes me feel very sorry for the excellent local traders that, in addition to the pub manager, we met on our visit. Not everyone is in a position to visit Tynemouth by bus or by 'Metro' - especially tourists from outside the area.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I drink in this pub in the evening about once a week. At that time it has a great 60's atmosphere and good beer.
In daylight it's not so pretty and there are a limited number of 'dining' tables, where you can sit upright away from the draughts of the outside doors.
I would also wonder about the hygiene of dogs in the eating area, although those there were well behaved.
The toilets are pretty basic.
To the food: the soup-of-the-day (mushroom) was home-made, but took a while arriving considering it was the ONLY soup. It came with a large soft burger bun and frozen butter. Warm French bread would have been nice and would have justified the wait.
The main menu, like many pubs today seems built round burgers, but there was probably just enough options. When it came it was well cooked and plentiful.
Although the food was good, I suspect that the other factors of ambience and animals will put me off eating there again.
A pity.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

My wife and I took lunch at The Priory on Monday 14th April 2014. We order the fish and chips and bacon and Brie panini. After about 20 minutes I went inside to see what had happened to them and was told that there is a minimum waiting time of 20 mins and our was just being plated up. The food arrived after another 15 minutes and was in a very poor state. The chips in my plate were almost black, soggy and limp. The bacon on my wife's was thick and fatty, she had to open up the panini and cut out the fat as it was just disgusting. I can't believe a chef and put that into a sandwich assuming that people will eat it, it just shows a total lack of care and skill. We won't be going back!

1  Thank Richard W