“Great gourmet evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Staith House

The Staith House
Ranked #5 of 106 Restaurants in North Shields
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great gourmet evening”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We booked for the monthly tasting menu following a recommendation from our son who had enjoyed lunch at the Staith House. This particular evening there was an eight course tasting menu with six wines from Bon Coeur to accompany the food. Each course was perfectly cooked and presented and showcased the talents of the chef. The stand-out dish was the chilled pea velouté with lobster, coconut and pistachio nut. But every one of the dishes would have graced the tasting menu of the very finest restaurants. There was a brief talk about each wine from the representative of Bon Coeur and this definitely added to the whole experience. Afterwards the proprietors John and James visited every table to chat with the customers. John has worked in some of the best restaurants in the country as well as reaching the final of Masterchef and regaled us with many interesting stories.

This was a wonderful evening and we will be back soon!

Visited August 2014

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Birthday meal on a whim - 31st July 2014 (Wednesday)”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

It was my birthday and we had just picked up my brother to go for a family meal and we had decided to try The Staith House as it was fairly local to where my brother's house was situated on the fish quay and there were seats available within the pub/restaurant.

We walked in and chose where we wanted to sit, where it took roughly 15 minutes before we got given menus and asked to go to the bar if we wanted to be served drinks. After fully deciding what we had wanted to eat within 10 minutes, it took a further 20 minutes and another round of drinks later before we even got served!

I was the only one on the table who decided to go for the 3 course meal special they had there, which was £10 at the time, albeit cheap, the food I got after the starter was not satisfying whatsoever. After 15 minutes my starter arrived, which was a lump of paté with 2 pieces of toast and some cress, now fair enough it is just an appetiser, so I awaited my main course which was fishcakes and hand cut chips, which on the surface sounds lovely.

When my main course came around I was greeted with 3 small balls for fishcakes in a bowl and 4 hand cut chips in a side pot with another pot of tartare sauce. I was not impressed whatsoever. Regardless of the fact I was paying £10 for a meal, I should not receive such small portions based on this. Also to make it worse, my Dad didn't receive his food until 10 minutes after we had waited a further 20 minutes for the food to be served and I had finished by the time his food was serviced. He had ordered the Cod and chips and the fish turned out to be undercooked...this made me even more annoyed that we had decided to go here given the poor service and food.

After everyone was finished their meal I awaited the arrival of my 3rd course, which was an Eton mess and after roughly 15-20 minutes there was still no dessert being served. I decided to ask the barman where my dessert was for the table, he stated he was aware of the fact that I had ordered a dessert but he was waiting for other people on the table to order the dessert, even though 1. No dessert menus had been given to the table. 2. Not a single waiter had asked us if we wanted desserts within that time period. Customer service at its best. I would sincerely hope that this restaurant has the potential to be decent given its location and some of the other great reviews it has received but for me my experience was awful, I have never experienced such poor service in a restaurant in all my life and I hope to never make this mistake again.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank DuckyBrown
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Whenever we have eaten here the food, atmosphere and service have always been excellent. It was the same again for the meal we had last night. Cannot fault it.

• Visited August 2014
“Light lunch and a drink”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We went to the restaurant for a light snack and a bevvy. This is a great little place with good quality food. My wife and decided to go for the specials board,,, mackerel sandwich for her and a hot roast beef sandwich for me. Fabulous. Lovely cooked chips with a light battered onion rings and a cucumber and fennel salad. The fish and beef were on a great crusty bun. All washed down with a local pint. Great lunch value..all for around £20..would recommend.

We would go back for an evening meal..that will be my next review..

Visited August 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best meal I've had in England in a looong time.”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I live in the States, so I'm not able to visit this place as often as I otherwise would, seeing as how my second visit here just blew my mind. I popped in for lunch, and you can tell from the ambitious (and possibly slightly intimidating, since much of it is rather unusual, unless you're a gourmand) that the chefs here care about food, quality ingredients, and flavor. I never really feel like spending a lot of mo ey at lunch (big dinners are more my bag), so I chose the very reasonably priced Hot Beef Sandwich with Hand Cut Chips, a steal at just £7.50. It was, as I mentioned in the synopsis, one of the best meals I've had in England. The meat was sooo tender and flavorful, surrounded by a beautifully rich gravy, and served on a light but still crusty roll, and flanked by a simply-dressed mixed-herb salad, and a small copper pan, holding lovely golden chips, and a couple of onion rings, just for variety. It was absolutely perfect, and I had to tell the chefs directly :P I'd be here all the time if I lived within 50 miles of it!! Visit, and trust the cooks.

P.s. I neglected to mention the lovely service and decor too, simply because, to me, food is always king, and the main event and reason to visit any establishment. But the servers were cheery and attentive, and the decor is beautiful too, with plenty of reclaimed and exposed wood and brick, and nautical elements, in keeping with its quayside location. Sooo, 5 stars all around, then :)

• Visited August 2014