I stayed at Kakslauttanen for two nights in early April 2014 and I stayed in one of the glass igloos.
This place is stunningly beautiful, especially as it was still completely under snow when we were there. (I'm guessing it's under snow for most of the year...?) The igloos are quirky (to quote one other reviewer here) but functional. Check out the virtual tour at the place's website to get a better idea. They can be configured to a double or twin setting, but the beds were pretty uncomfortable. Still, the igloos are well-heated and being able to see the sky while in bed was quite a novelty.
And we did see the northern lights on our second night so that showed the igloos' real advantage to perfection.
Each igloo has a tiny bathroom containing a toilet and basin and a handheld apparatus which can be used for washing (while making a very big mess) but not really for showering unless you're able to contort yourself into odd shapes in the tiny space. In the igloos one is only provided with a hand towel, not a bath towel. There is a shower/sauna block a few minutes' walk away, which in the snow was quite an experience, and the showers are communal (no private stalls) but there are separate men's and women's facilities. Bath towels are provided there.
Meals are served in the restaurant in the main building, some minutes' walk away in the snow as well, and these were well made and tasty. The breakfast was excellent.
Staff were a little reserved but still very polite and there were no language problems.
There's no wifi in the igloos but free wifi is available in the restaurant/reception building.
So it was an amazing experience to visit this place and stay in the glass igloos, but be prepared for a walk to your meals and your showers, and be prepared for sharing them both with others.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Booking.com so you can book your Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kakslauttanen Hotel And Igloo Village
- Kakslauttanen Hotel Igloo Village
- Kakslauttanen Hotel Saariselka
- Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort Saariselka, Finland - Lapland