“Cosy place and service plus good food”

Restaurant Pirkon Pirtti
Ranked #3 of 19 Restaurants in Saariselka
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Helsinki, Finland
“Cosy place and service plus good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

If you fancy a cosy place, good food and familiar service, this is a place for you and your family. Take a nice dinner by the fire place and relax. Wine selection could be better but the wines are still above the average.

Will go again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank mikkohoo

• Finnish first
  • Korean first
Bucharest, Romania
“Good Lapland food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We went there quit late for Saariselka time (around 8pm) and had a very nice dinner. This is one thing that people should be carefully in this village: everything closes quit early in the evening! This was my son's first encounter with raindeer meat. He said that the sauted meet he had was the best ever!!! :) We also had sauted raindeer with pickles and some berries and a fish dish: Smoked salmon, roasted whitefish and griddled arctic char. Both excellent! They also have a nice selection of wines.
Very nice atmosphere, good service, friendly personnel. I recommend it for dinner in Saariselka!

• Visited February 2014
Guernsey
“Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Lovely meal and good value in comparison to other restaurants we tried. This was by far the busiest restaurant we went to in the village and I think it is because of the great service and varied menu. Well worth a visit.

Visited February 2014
“Very traditional, nice meal in lapland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I visited with my boyfriend on a day trip to saariselka following recommendation in lonely planet. We started with a Russian style fish soup and a beetroot soup with dried pork. The fish soup was very nice. The beetroot soup was a bit controversial but still worth a try if you want something different. Main was delicious. We had a fish plate and reindeer steak.

Sadly we didn't have time for dessert... The whole dinner came to around €85, two starters, two mains and a glass of wine. Give this place a go if you are in saariselka!

London
“An Oasis in Our Hour of Need”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

We (a family of 5) were staying at a hotel in the area where the food was pretty average (possibly the understatement of the year), and, having consulted the hotel reception about what was going to be served for dinner that evening (the 4th and final of our stay) the adults decided we all needed some 'culinary relief' so waited for ages in the cold and dark for the bus to Saariselka.

I'd heard there was a very good pizza joint in the town, and, being a small town I just assumed we'd find it. As it happened, the bus dropped us a fair distance from the centre (thanks Drives!) and my youngest child had fallen asleep so I carried her all the way back to town, much of the way through deep snow. The place seemed absolutely deserted (4.30pm-ish) and we were concerned that everything was shut! Just then, out of the gloom, a fellow came came striding in my direction carrying a pile of pizza boxes and I stopped him in his tracks and demanded to know where he'd got them. He pointed toward a deserted-looking building a hundred years away and assured me that the restaurant there-in served the BEST pizzas in town. I could have cried.

There were only a handful of people seated and you could have heard a pin drop in the room but the restaurant was cosy and toasty warm. It looks to me like a husband and wife team own and run the place (with the odd bit of help) and it took a while to get our orders in but I didn't care at that stage -- and the large beer I ordered never tasted so good. The pizzas are a decent size and reasonable value (not that the prices were relevant at that stage). While not being in quite the same league as a top Italian pizza they were very tasty, and, most importantly, hugely enjoyable. I was stuffed to the gunnels by the time we left. Two rounds of drinks (adults), five pizzas (one size) and four desserts came to just over 90 Euros. The lady who runs the front is good fun -- her English is sketchy but she's very friendly and guffaws heartily at everything she says.

If you're in the area and you've had it with moose, elk, reindeer etc, this is definitely the place for a change in ambience (if not diet). Just remember the name and someone will direct you -- assuming you can find anyone.

• Visited December 2013