Lapland Hotel Riekonlinna
  • Breakfast included
Javri Lodge(Saariselka)
Hotel Kieppi(Saariselka)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewstoboggan rungala dinnerviewing roomwelcome meetingnorthern lights viewingover christmasthomson repsadjoining roomshot berry juicebuffet stylesanta tripsofa bednuggets and chipskids entertainedgreat funapartment blockhusky ride
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here with Thompson's from the 22nd until the 26th December and had a magical stay from start to finish. I cannot comment on the rooms in the hotel as we stayed in a 2 bed apartment which was well worth the extra money (having read reviews before we booked about tired rooms). The kitchen area couldn't have been better stocked and the sauna was amazing. Even the balcony faced the right direction, which would have been perfect had the clouds not hidden the northern lights (not something I can blame the hotel for!).
We stayed full board & overall we were really happy with the food. No it's not Michelin standard (which I have eaten plenty of times), but it was more than edible & there was a great selection for both breakfast & dinner. My 1 year old loved the Finnish potato galettes every morning & my sometimes fussy 8 year old enjoyed trying herring cured different ways, reindeer and plenty of salmon. I write this having read the negative reviews about the food - you're staying literally in the middle of nowhere and the majority of the food was local specialities - at least try it before you criticise!!
My one complaint was the Gala dinner. Firstly, we queued outside the dining room for 45 minutes before we sat down as we all had our names on our tables, whilst a lovely touch, with other people eating in the dining room & no names it worked much better so I'm not sure why the daft queue! Now to the food- As most people didn't touch the cold selection (which was extended for the night) there was only one part for the hot dinner. The queues were ridiculous & having queued for 25 minutes for the hot dinner I was more than a bit disappointed to find out they had run out of turkey, so had covered left over ham (from the Lappish feast the night before... Which was amazing!) with gravy. I know the hotel is not to blame for greedy people piling ridiculous amounts on their plates,
but they've had 2 tour operators there for at least 2 years so should know by now.
As for the elves and the Thompson staff, they were fantastic, Koko and Baz made a point of getting to know every child's name as soon as possible- a small thing but means a lot. We didn't go on any additional excursions as we felt they weren't suitable with a 1yr old, but Santa resort was incredible & I would highly recommend anyone with children visiting. Saariskella is a beautiful little village with well stocked shops and perfect to get bits to keep you stocked up on.
I panicked before we left because the bad food reviews made me worry & the food was fine. So, to the people leaving the terrible reviews... If you are so picky, stay at home, or go to a Toby Carvery next year... It's Christmas... Get a grip and smile if only for your children's sake!

• Stayed: December 2013
6  Thank littlekirst
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed here on a Santa trip booked through Santas Lapland. Can't fault the trip or the location, really magical. BUT the hotel was not acceptable, not very clean and the food was a disgrace. I can put up with cultural and local culinary differences, but the offer here was cheap and in short pretty disgusting. Only good thing about it was the bread we toasted in the morning! We had no choice ut to opt for a la carte despite being on a half board package because the buffet was so poor. That was passable but extortionately expensive. Santas Lapland let themselves down by using this hotel and should insist they get their act together. Also didn't like being shoved into a second rate upstairs restaurant for two of our three meals because Thompson guests had taken over! Pull your finger out Lapland Hotels and Sanat's Lapalnad, you could both do better!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Wow! What a fantastic time we had in Saariselka! We were originally booked in the actual hotel. When we got to the room it was all nice and clean with mini bar and drying room for clothing but we felt that the double bed and sofa bed being in the same room may be a bit of a tight squeeze when myself, husband and 2 kids were all changing in and out of our snowsuits etc.
We were lucky enough to upgrade to an apartment for just 50 euros per night and were really delighted with the whole apartment.
Kitchen had hob, fridge freezer, microwave, dishwasher, toaster and kettle. Sofa bed in spacious lounge with great TV with English channels and a good size separate bedroom with lots of space for clothing. Both beds were really comfy and its really cozy and warm in the apartment. We had a balcony where we were lucky enough to watch the northern lights from. Totally magical experience! The sauna in the bathroom is fabulous and just what we needed after a cold day out in the snow! The only downside to being in apartment is the walk to the hotel restaurant at meal times. It's a very short walk but it does mean having to get all your layers on and off each time.
The food on offer is tasty but selection is minimal. Usually 1 meat, 1 fish and 1 veggie option each meal. Kids food tends to be chicken nuggets, burgers and chips. Breakfast is good and the kids loved making their own waffles each morning. Bacon, sausages, cereal fruit etc avail as well as cheeses and cold meats. Drinks are expensive in the hotel, about 8 euros for a decent glass of wine or a beer. About 3 euros for a soft drink. If you go to the supermarket you can get a nice bottle of wine for about 12 euros. (Food is very expensive!)
The toboggan slope is awesome and we had great fun here. There's loads of sledges lying around at the bottom of the slope which you can use or you can hire them for just 2euros at the hotel.

Would we go back? Most definitely! In fact I'm saving up already :-)

Room Tip: Definitely go for an apartment if you can!
1  Thank Chellebellep
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just read most of the reviews and agree with most of them. In a nutshell the hotel was very tired and was surprised how tired it actually was. We stayed for 2 nights and I was too scared to have a shower incase something fell on me. It was spacious enough to get changed and the hotel was very warm. The buffet food was very disappointing on the first night which made us worry about the gala night however it was held at the Tuturi Hotel across the road and it was much better. The actual experience of Santa Lapland was absolutely amazing - I was so surprised of how many activities are included and no adult could escaped the elves, the singing and dancing around like a penguin (or was it a reindeer?!) What impressed me the most was the Santa Lapland Check In Desk!! - When we arrived in Gatwick and looked at the EasyJet check in queue, I grimaced until I saw a big sign 'Lapland Check In' - Santa had thought of everything. The plan journey was good and the airline kept us amused throughout the journey. I would def recommend this experience to all young families, it is expensive but they would not be disappointed!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights with Thomson from December 8th, myself, my daughter and my 21 month old grandson and had a lovely time, but found the hotel to be very basic. The room was very small and the beds were not very wide, though quite comfortable. The bathroom was a bit on the small side, but loved the under floor heating.
Disappointed with the choice of food on offer though we did find something to eat, breakfast was the same every morning and we didn't rate the gala dinner at all.
The reps were very nice, especially Tracy, Koko and Andy, very friendly and very helpful. Felt very sorry for them the day we visited Santa as it was -42 and believe me, that is cold, we were able to sit round the fire, but the poor reps and elves had to work outside in it.
Saariselka is a lovely resort, so pretty and so quiet, we really enjoyed it there and enjoyed a few hours at the Angry Birds Activity Park. Food and drink is very expensive as were the souvenirs.
Loved the northern lights viewing room at the hotel and we were lucky enough to see some activity on 2 nights out of the 3.

1  Thank BournemouthMomo