“Don't get your hopes up, you get what you pay for”

Bayside Hotel Katsaras
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Kremasti
London
“Don't get your hopes up, you get what you pay for”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We have just returned from a week’s stay at the Bayside Hotel so whilst the memories are still fresh we thought we'd post a review on here.

Firstly people should not complain about the additional cost of air-conditioning and safety deposit box as this information would have been available to you at the time of booking or had you done some independent research. We were lucky enough to acquire a fridge in our room without paying for this luxury. What a small bonus that turned out to be, I’ve never appreciate cold drinks more! I do think that a fridge should be included in a room as standard though.

Breakfast is exactly what you would expect - ham, cheese, bread, jam and cereal - filling and fairly pleasant however it become a little repetitive by the end of the week. My only gripe was that that there was no fresh fruit and the bread was almost always hard/stale however on the upside this meant that it required one less rotation on the extremely slow toasting contraption.

Dinner was actually very nice so don’t be deterred by some of the comments posted on here; very tasty home-cooked, traditional Greek meals which were always accompanied by a fresh salad-bar buffet. We were however disappointed by the puddings - with the exception of the chocolate mousse and ice-cream; jelly and watermelon were a very poor effort.

My main issue with the dining experience at the Bayside was at times you were made to feel as though you were eating school dinners at the lunch-hall with very stern looks and crossed arms from one of the co-owners. We have no issue with clearing our own plates however it seemed no matter how we stacked them on the trolley there would be a huff and tut from the miserable man stood in the corner.

The apartment itself was cleaned daily and very comfortable in general however there was always a smell from the drain in the bathroom and on the last evening we couldn’t get our hot water to work. Thankfully we chose not to pay for the air conditioning in the room and we found that it was never stuffy enough in the evening to need it. We seemed to be the only ones without a private balcony, on the odd occasion we would find other guests stood outside our room using it as a vantage point however this wasn’t really a problem. Perhaps because we were on the top floor the mopping and sweeping of the balcony and communal areas did seem a little neglected.

The pool area could really do with some updating; some of the pictures on this site and in the brochure are somewhat misleading. Every single lounger we used was cracked in some place or another and the covers have definitely seen better days. However the pool itself always seemed very clean and was bathed in sunshine all day. As others have mentioned it was disappointing that he pool bar was never opened.

Being directly under the flight path and being so close to the airport caused us absolutely no problems the planes are noticeable and do take you by surprise on the first few days but after a while the noise just fades into the background. However if you are a light sleeper I would recommend taking earplugs for the night time as if your unaffected by the planes the neighbourhood dogs WILL certainly keep you awake as they seem to be barking at each other all night, we heard a lot of other guests complaining about this during our stay.

"Entertainment" is almost nonexistent - karaoke three nights a week! Please don’t get your hopes up. In fairness I guess it is coming toward the end of the season but a little more effort could have been made.

4 Thank review86London

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2011

my wife and i have just returned from a two weeks stay and what a fabulous time we had we arrived at 2 in the morning and were greeted with the smiling faces of both ireene +nick .we were shown to our room which was bright and spotlessly clean.the breakfast was more than adequate however treat yourself to a lye in and have it in the garden over looking the sea theirenglish breakfast is as good as they get for 5euros
the hotel is situated in between rhodes town and krematsi with a bus service at the top of the road a 5 minute walk
the poolside is excellent and kept spotlessly clean with more than enough sunbeds for all if we brits werent so selfish throwing a towel on and then disappearing for the day WHY DO YOU DO IT? then moan there are not enough.
the evening meals we found where exellent real greek home cooking with a choice of fresh salad or soup as a starter the mac donald brigade found this totally baffling.
the entertainment on the evening with george singing the kareoke was excellent had a great time and met a lot of nice people in there.
we are both in our sixties and have travelled extensively and this is the first review i have ever done but i felt it necessary because of the negative reviews on this site.
so for the folks who moan about the food isuggest you should holiday in blackpool!!!!!
for the folks who moan about the noise book into a old folkshome!!!!!
for the folks who moan about the lack of sun beds stop leaving your towels on them!!!!!
and hopefully when we return there next year we can do so without your miserable lot
once again thank you ireen; nick;and all your family
tom&di

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank tommyc281
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We have just come back from our first trip to this area in Greece, The best part of the holiday was the weather and the pool!

Seen as though in the brochures it says its a 3* hotel and then the signs say its a 4* hotel it does not even come close to a 3*. On arrival it was around 3am when we arrived, we were taken to our room which was in the basement as we called it room 90, next to where all the washing got done and where the empty bottles from the bar were stored. The room had 2 twin beds pushed together, and a bathroom we had no towels on arrival and had to ask 3 times for some towels. They could only move us if we paid for the air con. so we did just so we could have the room we paid for with the balcony.

The breakfast the next day consisted of toast, cereal, cheese,salami, cold boiled eggs, mini hot dog sausages. The hottest thing at breakfast was the coffee.
If you want the air con in your room for a week its 56 euros, a safety deposit box is 25 euros for a week which is kept in reception.

Tea was cooked by Irene the owner, she was supposed to make 2 greek dishes a night however this did not happen, it was a canteen style once you had finished your tea you had to scrap your plate once you had finished no staff to take your plates.

The best food was at the back of the hotel which is the owners brother steve its his snack bar and the food is complete opposite to inside the hotel. The pool bar was not open as they have no staff to work in it. Entertainment consisted of karaoke from 9 30, that was all.

On check out you have to leave your room by 12 midday but if you are on a trip or an early morning flight this still applies to keep your room till 10pm that night its an extra 50 euros!
There is not a room to get showered or changed in to freshen up before you leave home we had to use the toilets near the pool with a shower and get changed by the poolside. Our suitcases were left on view in the reception not locked away in a safe place.

We will not be visiting this hotel again!

2 Thank Emma927

Travellers are raving about these Kremasti hotels

Devon
Reviewed 27 September 2011

My boyfriend and I have just returned from the Bayside hotel in kremasti. After reading the reviews I was starting to get quite worried about what we had booked ( I don't know why I let it bother me, as working in a 4* hotel back home, I am very aware of how ridiculous some people can be, and this hotel proved it)

When we first arrived the lady behind reception seemed pretty fed up and I was quite shocked to our welcoming. It wasnt until the next day and evening I realised why. We arrived at approx 5am, very tired after a long journey. When we woke in the morning the same lady who checked us in was serving breakfast, she was also serving dinner, then breakfsat again, then dinner again. The poor woman worked every hour god sent. So I dont blame her for being probably shattered at 5am when we arrived.

The hotel room was just what we needed, it was clean, there was more than enough room for a young couple and we had a beautiful view of the beach. The rooms got cleaned very often, we had fresh towels every day. Which I have never had before in any other hotel.

The first night we went for dinner we weren't impressed. My boyfriend is a chef in a fine dining hotel so we are use to eating beautiful meals at home and going to fantastic restaurants. So we ended up eating out most nights (which didint bother me at all, as I love to get dressed up and go for a meal with my boyfriend, as I dont get much chance back home to do so) We found a few lovely little local restaurants in Kremasti where we ate shark, which was beautiful. We also ventured into Rhodes town a couple of nights and found some fabulous little greek tavernas. After experiencing proper greek food we realised that the food served in the Bayside was traditional greek meals. So clearly different to what we are all use to back home, we gave it another chance and ended up loving the food in the Bayside. The majority of people who have slated this hotel are those kinds of people I think shouldn't bother going on holiday. If you want chips, burgers and pizza go to America, it's cheap and u get huge portions, if you want fine dining you have to pay the price.

The pool was kept clean at all times. The gardens kept nice. The only thing I was a tad dissapointed about was the pool bar wasnt open at all throughout our stay.

This was our first holiday together, and what a holiday it was. We had a fantastic time. We did so much, we went on boat trips, we went to Lindos twice (once as an excursion and the second we found our own way there, jumped on the local greek buses, which is quite an experience) We went to Turkey for the day, we rarely spent much time in Kremasti as we were too busy exploring and seeing the islands of Rhodes. If you are the kind of person who likes to go on holiday and make the most of it, by getting up and out of ur hotel, this place is spot on. If you are one of those people who my boyfriend and I call 'the benidorm crew' then your going to have a pretty crappy holiday. If you want to waste your entire holiday in the walls of your hotel, then you need to book a 5* all inclusive, or, even better, stay at home.

Over all for what we paid I was very happy. I am almost positive not a single couple staying in the Bayside paid more than £350 for a week in Greece. And honestly people, what do u expect to get for £350? Gold toilet paper?

The hotel is directly under the flight path, but wow, I love it. I dont see that at home and even at the end of the week after seeing 100's of planes fly over, I was still stopping and watching.

Please do not be put off. The staff are lovely. Very helpful, they helped us find our way round nearly the whole of Rhodes. I am a 21 year old girl who has probably seen more of Rhodes than those who go back year after year and this was my first visit.

Make the most of your holiday.

ps. For the younger people staying in Rhodes. Take a trip to Falaraki. Crazy night out.

Room Tip: Top floor. Sea facing. Can't go wrong
3 Thank CasCon
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

just come back from this hotel ,words of advive to anyone thinking of going DON,T my husband and i are far from snobs but this hotel was a real eye opener for us.We had to pay out over 100 euros even before we got into our room for air con safe and a fridge the fridge being needed to keep medical supplies in .We had no choice but to pay up.The food well thats astory of its own ,we just did,nt eat it apart from toast for breakfast ,cost us a small fortune eating out,but we could recomend the food in the cafe in the garden ,cooked in front of us so we knew what we were going to eat ,no complaints at all there.Due to my husbands ill health we have to be so careful foodwise but it was all fine no probs.Having said all that if you are looking for a hotel near the beach and pool will eat anything thats looks vile don,t let me put you of,we will never ever go there again.

Room Tip: ground floor so you are not up and down stairs all day
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Before leaving to go on this holiday, I constantly read the reviews and became increasingly worried. Me and my girlfriend wanted a nice week away, where we could relax, be lazy and just genuinely not do a lot. And with that in mind, that side of the holiday was great. We met some great people, had a good laugh and had the holiday we wanted with a great pool as well.
Reading the reviews I can understand everything people have said although in saying that, the price we paid for the hotel we knew before going it wasn't going to be a 5 star hotel.
Here were the most disappointing things:
Being fussy eaters that me and my girlfriend are, if you don't like the food on offer, there wasn't a lot of choice. And seeing as we paid for half board where we were expecting choice and different food, that was disappointing. I think we ate at the hotel once out of 7 nights so we basically paid for a service we didn't get. Instead we went just over the road to a food bar where the food was lovely so it wasn't the end of the world. On the nights we did eat in, you have to buy a drink with your evening meal, which I think is a little cheeky. I have read that a few people complain about clearing your plates and scraping leftovers into a bin or having to share dining tables with others, to me that's not a big deal but I might be a minority.
Breakfast is very basic. And as I love my sleep, I occasionally skipped breakfast and again went over the road for a full English.
The pool bar wasn't open for the duration of our stay. When we asked the rep, he turned round and said it will be open in the next few days when the bar man recovers from an illness. Turns out a few days later that this bar man had picked up and left and now they were looking to employ someone else. Again, although this was disappointing, they did have a supermarket just over the road, and a snack bar about a 30 second walk away so again, to me it wasn't a big deal.
The rooms are very basic, you have to pay around 50 Euros for air con, After having conversations with those around the hotel, if you were on the lower floors they seemed not to need it. However, we were on the top floor, with a great view of the sea, and we needed it as during the day the room got very warm and stuffy!
It can get noisy throughout the night depending on where your room is because of the planes. But again, I knew the noisy planes might be an issue when booking so I'm not going to complain about it now.

Would I go to Rhodes again? Definitely. Would I stay here again? No. But what I did have was a great holiday with my girlfriend as we made it one. Sure its easy to come on here and complain about the above, but it was nice to get away and just relax.

Room Tip: Ask if you can get a room with a sea view. Although it can get noisy because of the planes!
2 Thank James J
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2011

we stayed here for a week It was part of a surprise present for my husband.It is a family run hotel. The rooms are very basic but clean and as we only use d it as a base they were ok. We had a lovely view of the sea.The meals are very basic but home cooked Salad is lettuce tomatoes and pasta. there is usually a choice of two things for your meal and it is put on your plate for you after lining up .Be prepared to clear your plates and scrape leftovers into a bin. Also be prepared to share dining tables with others .
There is kareoke in the evening .we didnt go to it as its not what we go on holiday for.Some people did enjoy it though .The beach is very stoney,take some beach shoes,the sea is warm and the sunbeds on the beach 3 euros each but worth it.We hired a car via Rhodos cars on line before we left uk. Christine made it very easy and we would recomend them for car hire. A holiday is what you make it and we enjoyed ours fully.It is a good base for exploring the island but think three star is exagerating . The family themselves are really nice . There is a lovely pastry shop at the top of the road. Personally,we would never go back ,but if you do enjoy pool(if you can get a bed),kareoke ,basic food and staying by the hotel all day it will be fine.I dont enjoy clearing away my own plates as i do that at home and dont expect it when im on holiday.planes are low but you do get used to it.

1 Thank gill p
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kremasti
Pylea Beach Hotel
#31 of 126 in Rhodes Town
Electra Palace Rhodes
Electra Palace Rhodes
#2 of 31 in Ialyssos

Been to Bayside Hotel Katsaras? Share your experiences!