“Cannot fault the hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Kremasti
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Cannot fault the hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

We have just spent a month at the Bayside met lots of people to whom we give the same advice if you have a problem or complaint do not tell others tell the staff whoo will do everything in their power to ensure your stay is a pleasant one, we yet again had a fantastic time, the staff are just great Mr George is a gentleman who likes things done correctly, Mrs Sadie likes the place spruce and clean, Nick only to happy to ensure your stay is a good one, Steve does a great job at the snack bar and takes pride in his cooking and presentation, Nickos what a fabulous bloke never a dull moment, Irene what a hard working lady who really does care what people think of the food and service, Freda and Jenny do all they can and more to make the rooms clean and tidy I wanted to bring Jenny home with me, then there are people like Natalie who helps in the kitchen she can teach a few people on how to clean a kitchen, and monnelis the gardner he just great. The hotel is what you make of it, but let me assure you of this if you are willing to mix with all nationalities, live and let live you will have a great time. Next year the hotel is going self catering so perhaps the people who have not enjoyed the food might like to see what they can afford on the same budget.

Room Tip: We prefer room off the ground floor
4 Thank keithybaby57

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

We have just been on a budget holiday for a week in Rhodes at a hotel called the bayside which is run by a greek family, on booking the trip we were a little concerned at the price because for a week at the bayside half board, flights and transfers for a cost of two hundred and eight pound each we thought a little dubious at such a small cost, but we were wrong, it was a fantastic place and so central to Rhodes etc, the rooms are very basic but liveable and we had a balcony which gave us a sort of view of the sea. It really was only when we got to know the people that ran the hotel, Nick and his wife Irene and his brother Steve are lovely people and nothing was too much trouble, they made our holiday so much more. The cleaning staff came in every day with clean bedding etc and they are so honest.I remember on one occassion we had a cooked breakfast outside in the gardens and I left my egg due to the fact I dont like the white of the egg, the next day we ordered a breakfast and low and behold the had carefully cut the white from the eggs and presented us with a great breakfast, its the little thing that matter when you are on holiday and for them to remember our dislikes came as a good surprise, I had also lost my wedding ring and thought that I would not see it again, but that evening Nick looked at my hand and asked me if I had lost my ring, on answering yes he presented me with my lost ring, the maids had found it under the bed and handed it in, now that is honesty, greek people are good people and if you show them respect you will get it back by the bucketfull.The hotel is only 50 yards from the pool and its warm waters are very enticing. We hired a quad bike and rode it through the mountains to the other end of the Island it was brilliant. I did not think much of Rhodes new town but the old town is fantastic surrounded by castle walls and cobbled narrow streets with the locals sat on there steps watching the world go by, it is greece at its best and I would recommend it to anyone, we are going back next year and its almost seems like we are visiting family at the bayside. The food is home cooked and for some people like myself that is very fussy about my food I found that if you dont eat with your eyes but just taste with your mouth you will be pleasantly surprised, the only negative thing I found was the breakfast as it is a continental breakfast consisting of sliced meats and cheese etc, but you can have toast and conservatives. Try this hotel and you will want to return again and again. Great place nice and hot 30-36 degrees in september. It wont be to everyones taste but for such a small price what do you excpect costs are cut thinly but as I say for 200 quid each we really cant gripe. well done Nick and family we will see you again next year.

1 Thank dennis048
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

We have just come back from the bayside hotel after a week in the greek sun, and all in all in we had a lovely holiday.

The hotel is a family run affair, and all staff were always pleasant and helpful. It wasnt too busy, which was good as it meant it was not swarming with people and but it did mean the dinner and breakfast was limited (and of average quality) also we are vegetarians so there was a night or two when there wasnt anything we could really have apart from salad due to everything else containing meat.

Room cleanliness was average, clean towels and sheets every day but on the last day we moved the bed and there was a empty condom wrapper on the floor that wasnt ours! So make sure you have a good look at your room before you settle in in case you find the same!

The pool area was excellent and always clean, very cold but ideal for cooling off after sunbathing. You may also see the cat that visits the hotel pool area (and sometimes inside the hotel!) regularly as well, very clean, tame and friendly despite it actually being a stray! The owners hate it but its funny watching them chase it off and it sneak back in a few minutes later!

In the photos there is a bar in the centre of the pool, this wasnt open at all when we stayed and didnt look like it had been used for a while.

Air-con is an extra charge on arrival if you wanted it, which was the first time we'd had to do that, but it was nice having it! Also there is a set of pay-as-you-go computers downstairs if you need to update facebook when you are away :)

There are shops nearby and stuff like cans of drinks, bottles of water, food etc were all well priced. And if you are like us and couldnt/didnt want to eat in the hotel, there is a lovely restaurant over the road and the main bloke there is a legend - very funny and friendly - however if you are on a budget the hotel has a small seaside cafe between it and the beach that is cheaper than the nearby restaurant - but of the same great quality.

The surrounding area including the beach wasn't bad, but there was a lot of litter about - this may be true of all of Rhodes but it was quite bad outside and around the area we were in. Beaches were mostly pebble stones but some were quite pretty.

If you are a light sleeper, then this part of Rhodes in general may not be for you as you get quite a few planes flying overhead.. quite loud at times - also this hotel does karaoke a few nights of the week (one night till 2:30am!) which was very loud and wasnt for us at all - annoying trying to sleep over someone seeing "my way" really badly haha

All in all it was ok, fine for the amount we paid really so if you just want cheap greek sun then go for it - if we went again we would probably pay a bit more and go for somewhere a bit better and in an area that wasnt directly under the landing route for the airport!

Room Tip: Sea view is much prettier, but no sun on your balconys! We were facing a field but woke up to the su...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GemAndOl
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We have just returned from a week’s stay at the Bayside Hotel so whilst the memories are still fresh we thought we'd post a review on here.

Firstly people should not complain about the additional cost of air-conditioning and safety deposit box as this information would have been available to you at the time of booking or had you done some independent research. We were lucky enough to acquire a fridge in our room without paying for this luxury. What a small bonus that turned out to be, I’ve never appreciate cold drinks more! I do think that a fridge should be included in a room as standard though.

Breakfast is exactly what you would expect - ham, cheese, bread, jam and cereal - filling and fairly pleasant however it become a little repetitive by the end of the week. My only gripe was that that there was no fresh fruit and the bread was almost always hard/stale however on the upside this meant that it required one less rotation on the extremely slow toasting contraption.

Dinner was actually very nice so don’t be deterred by some of the comments posted on here; very tasty home-cooked, traditional Greek meals which were always accompanied by a fresh salad-bar buffet. We were however disappointed by the puddings - with the exception of the chocolate mousse and ice-cream; jelly and watermelon were a very poor effort.

My main issue with the dining experience at the Bayside was at times you were made to feel as though you were eating school dinners at the lunch-hall with very stern looks and crossed arms from one of the co-owners. We have no issue with clearing our own plates however it seemed no matter how we stacked them on the trolley there would be a huff and tut from the miserable man stood in the corner.

The apartment itself was cleaned daily and very comfortable in general however there was always a smell from the drain in the bathroom and on the last evening we couldn’t get our hot water to work. Thankfully we chose not to pay for the air conditioning in the room and we found that it was never stuffy enough in the evening to need it. We seemed to be the only ones without a private balcony, on the odd occasion we would find other guests stood outside our room using it as a vantage point however this wasn’t really a problem. Perhaps because we were on the top floor the mopping and sweeping of the balcony and communal areas did seem a little neglected.

The pool area could really do with some updating; some of the pictures on this site and in the brochure are somewhat misleading. Every single lounger we used was cracked in some place or another and the covers have definitely seen better days. However the pool itself always seemed very clean and was bathed in sunshine all day. As others have mentioned it was disappointing that he pool bar was never opened.

Being directly under the flight path and being so close to the airport caused us absolutely no problems the planes are noticeable and do take you by surprise on the first few days but after a while the noise just fades into the background. However if you are a light sleeper I would recommend taking earplugs for the night time as if your unaffected by the planes the neighbourhood dogs WILL certainly keep you awake as they seem to be barking at each other all night, we heard a lot of other guests complaining about this during our stay.

"Entertainment" is almost nonexistent - karaoke three nights a week! Please don’t get your hopes up. In fairness I guess it is coming toward the end of the season but a little more effort could have been made.

4 Thank review86London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

my wife and i have just returned from a two weeks stay and what a fabulous time we had we arrived at 2 in the morning and were greeted with the smiling faces of both ireene +nick .we were shown to our room which was bright and spotlessly clean.the breakfast was more than adequate however treat yourself to a lye in and have it in the garden over looking the sea theirenglish breakfast is as good as they get for 5euros
the hotel is situated in between rhodes town and krematsi with a bus service at the top of the road a 5 minute walk
the poolside is excellent and kept spotlessly clean with more than enough sunbeds for all if we brits werent so selfish throwing a towel on and then disappearing for the day WHY DO YOU DO IT? then moan there are not enough.
the evening meals we found where exellent real greek home cooking with a choice of fresh salad or soup as a starter the mac donald brigade found this totally baffling.
the entertainment on the evening with george singing the kareoke was excellent had a great time and met a lot of nice people in there.
we are both in our sixties and have travelled extensively and this is the first review i have ever done but i felt it necessary because of the negative reviews on this site.
so for the folks who moan about the food isuggest you should holiday in blackpool!!!!!
for the folks who moan about the noise book into a old folkshome!!!!!
for the folks who moan about the lack of sun beds stop leaving your towels on them!!!!!
and hopefully when we return there next year we can do so without your miserable lot
once again thank you ireen; nick;and all your family
tom&di

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank tommyc281
Blackpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

We have just come back from our first trip to this area in Greece, The best part of the holiday was the weather and the pool!

Seen as though in the brochures it says its a 3* hotel and then the signs say its a 4* hotel it does not even come close to a 3*. On arrival it was around 3am when we arrived, we were taken to our room which was in the basement as we called it room 90, next to where all the washing got done and where the empty bottles from the bar were stored. The room had 2 twin beds pushed together, and a bathroom we had no towels on arrival and had to ask 3 times for some towels. They could only move us if we paid for the air con. so we did just so we could have the room we paid for with the balcony.

The breakfast the next day consisted of toast, cereal, cheese,salami, cold boiled eggs, mini hot dog sausages. The hottest thing at breakfast was the coffee.
If you want the air con in your room for a week its 56 euros, a safety deposit box is 25 euros for a week which is kept in reception.

Tea was cooked by Irene the owner, she was supposed to make 2 greek dishes a night however this did not happen, it was a canteen style once you had finished your tea you had to scrap your plate once you had finished no staff to take your plates.

The best food was at the back of the hotel which is the owners brother steve its his snack bar and the food is complete opposite to inside the hotel. The pool bar was not open as they have no staff to work in it. Entertainment consisted of karaoke from 9 30, that was all.

On check out you have to leave your room by 12 midday but if you are on a trip or an early morning flight this still applies to keep your room till 10pm that night its an extra 50 euros!
There is not a room to get showered or changed in to freshen up before you leave home we had to use the toilets near the pool with a shower and get changed by the poolside. Our suitcases were left on view in the reception not locked away in a safe place.

We will not be visiting this hotel again!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Emma927

Travellers are raving about these Kremasti hotels

Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

My boyfriend and I have just returned from the Bayside hotel in kremasti. After reading the reviews I was starting to get quite worried about what we had booked ( I don't know why I let it bother me, as working in a 4* hotel back home, I am very aware of how ridiculous some people can be, and this hotel proved it)

When we first arrived the lady behind reception seemed pretty fed up and I was quite shocked to our welcoming. It wasnt until the next day and evening I realised why. We arrived at approx 5am, very tired after a long journey. When we woke in the morning the same lady who checked us in was serving breakfast, she was also serving dinner, then breakfsat again, then dinner again. The poor woman worked every hour god sent. So I dont blame her for being probably shattered at 5am when we arrived.

The hotel room was just what we needed, it was clean, there was more than enough room for a young couple and we had a beautiful view of the beach. The rooms got cleaned very often, we had fresh towels every day. Which I have never had before in any other hotel.

The first night we went for dinner we weren't impressed. My boyfriend is a chef in a fine dining hotel so we are use to eating beautiful meals at home and going to fantastic restaurants. So we ended up eating out most nights (which didint bother me at all, as I love to get dressed up and go for a meal with my boyfriend, as I dont get much chance back home to do so) We found a few lovely little local restaurants in Kremasti where we ate shark, which was beautiful. We also ventured into Rhodes town a couple of nights and found some fabulous little greek tavernas. After experiencing proper greek food we realised that the food served in the Bayside was traditional greek meals. So clearly different to what we are all use to back home, we gave it another chance and ended up loving the food in the Bayside. The majority of people who have slated this hotel are those kinds of people I think shouldn't bother going on holiday. If you want chips, burgers and pizza go to America, it's cheap and u get huge portions, if you want fine dining you have to pay the price.

The pool was kept clean at all times. The gardens kept nice. The only thing I was a tad dissapointed about was the pool bar wasnt open at all throughout our stay.

This was our first holiday together, and what a holiday it was. We had a fantastic time. We did so much, we went on boat trips, we went to Lindos twice (once as an excursion and the second we found our own way there, jumped on the local greek buses, which is quite an experience) We went to Turkey for the day, we rarely spent much time in Kremasti as we were too busy exploring and seeing the islands of Rhodes. If you are the kind of person who likes to go on holiday and make the most of it, by getting up and out of ur hotel, this place is spot on. If you are one of those people who my boyfriend and I call 'the benidorm crew' then your going to have a pretty crappy holiday. If you want to waste your entire holiday in the walls of your hotel, then you need to book a 5* all inclusive, or, even better, stay at home.

Over all for what we paid I was very happy. I am almost positive not a single couple staying in the Bayside paid more than £350 for a week in Greece. And honestly people, what do u expect to get for £350? Gold toilet paper?

The hotel is directly under the flight path, but wow, I love it. I dont see that at home and even at the end of the week after seeing 100's of planes fly over, I was still stopping and watching.

Please do not be put off. The staff are lovely. Very helpful, they helped us find our way round nearly the whole of Rhodes. I am a 21 year old girl who has probably seen more of Rhodes than those who go back year after year and this was my first visit.

Make the most of your holiday.

ps. For the younger people staying in Rhodes. Take a trip to Falaraki. Crazy night out.

Room Tip: Top floor. Sea facing. Can't go wrong
3 Thank CasCon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kremasti
Pylea Beach Hotel
Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes
Amathus Beach Hotel Rhodes
#9 of 129 in Rhodes Town
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,882 reviews

Been to Bayside Hotel Katsaras? Share your experiences!