“Excellent location to explore the village”
Review of Hotel Appenzell

Hotel Appenzell
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Appenzell
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed here for one night, though I made a mistake in the reservation at busy times the owners were very helpful to sort everything out to make it work. We had a room with view to the Landsgemeindeplatz, though busy at night with some singing (didn't really bother).

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The location of the hotel- pastry shop is very nice, right on the Landsgemeinde Platz. Might get a little noisy if your room gives onto the square. The rooms are comfortable and big enough. Nice bathroom. Curtains too thin for me as I like to sleep in total darkness...no real guess reception there.
Nice breakfast but the service io slow, the staff is made of very young girls, and a special requirement might be too much for them.
The evening meal was good enough but we wondered if there was a real kitchen in this hotel as my husband who ordered a Swiss dish of Rosti and veal in sauce felt it was ready made then microwaved! My dish was supposed to be "carpaccio" and everyone knows it is a dish of raw beef, instead they gave me roast beef instead, which is not at all the same. I don't know why I did not say anything.
Nice local wine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FranMilano
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

A three-star hotel with very tasteful classical-style furnishing. The room is very clean and sleep is excellent on a comfortable mattress. The full range of toiletries that one would normally expect in hotels is missing, however. Thus guests should be prepared to bring most of their own.

Thumbs up to the F&B department for superb plating and meticulous serving at competitive prices (Swiss standard ) in cases of even simple dishes such as a green salad for accompaniment, a poached egg for breakfast or coffee. Smiling breakfast services were memorable as was the service for lunch.

There is still room for improvement in guest reception and check-ins as well as concierge. F&B staff not having to take up the additional  role as front-desk staff might contribute to the improvement.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank VinaSG
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Europeans know about the quaint village of AppenZell--I had been here 40 years ago and it is still charming.. Great hotel in all respects, nice shower and breakfast very helpful friendly staff. Outstanding location to stay a week as we did and do short day trips to Zurich, Luzern, St.Gallen, the Bodensee, rheinfalls. Do the ebenalp cable car. But stay here.

Room Tip: All are great. Don't worry about noise: we were here the weekend when 8000 teenagers came into t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wisconsinnative
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had a great two-day stay at the Hotel Appenzell. The staff could not be friendlier. The rooms are spacious by Swiss standards, and they offer a wonderful breakfast with eggs made to order (you have to try the Appenzeller cheese!)

The only downside is the fact that there is quite a bit of street noise with the windows open. However, this will true no matter where you stay in town, as none of the hotels offer air conditioning and there is traffic through the town at night. We prefer Hotel Appenzell over another nearby hotel where we previously stayed. The location can not be beat!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sola7
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the warm hospitality of the entire staff at Hotel Appenzell. We are thrilled that we took 4 days of our 5 week travels through Switzerland to come to Appenzell. The quaint shops, the exquisite church with its unique cemetery, the fresh air and the clean drinking water, the gentle green slopes of the ever-present hillsides, Mother Nature's flower gardens growing wild, the cable car rides to the tops of exquisite peaks, the happy cows with their bells ringing...all of this and more...brought this fairy tale experience to life. Stephan and his staff at Hotel Appenzell made us feel right at home from check-in to our reluctant check-out.

Room Tip: We are glad that we stayed in a room away from the square. We had a lovely view of a peaceful hills...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janet g
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I returned to Hotel Appenzell for the fourth time in less than two years. My return was for strictly R and R reasons. I can't tell you how happy I was to walk through their doors. The staff, rooms and food are unique. Everything was superb, however the service is why I continually return.

The Soutter family, in concert with their staff, could not be more responsive to my needs. They are absolutely wonderful!

I will return, no matter what season it is. I have been there all seasons!

Stayed: February 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Appenzell
Hotel Hecht Appenzell
#12 of 16 in Appenzell
Hotel Hof Weissbad
Hotel Hof Weissbad
#1 of 7 in Weissbad

Been to Hotel Appenzell? Share your experiences!