“One word: GO!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Gryon B&B and Inns
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“One word: GO!”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Quite possibly my favorite hostel that I have ever stayed at. It's got character and personality that so many hostels these days do not have. For me, it came at the perfect time in my trip--I'd been backpacking around Europe for a few weeks, and I wanted (maybe even needed) the chance to get OUT of the city and see some truly beautiful nature. Chalet Martin is perfect for that. Absolutely breathtaking views from every angle in and around the hostel.

I mentioned the atmosphere already. It's very homey and welcoming. And comfortable, relaxed. We were greeted by one of the owners, with his 1 week old baby strapped to his chest when we checked in. There was no key to our hostel room, no lockers in the room, and as far as I could tell, the front door was never locked either. But I felt 100% safe and trusting there. At least when I was there, staying at Chalet Martin felt like it was one big family living there. (I think in the summer, there ARE quite a few people who stay long term and get to know each other).

The kitchen has everything you could want--tons of refrigerator space, 2 ranges, 2 sinks, counter space, every utensil, pot, and pan you could want, spices for community use (for a donation), just everything. There are 2 big game rooms, a book exchange, a movie room, and an awesome patio with a ping pong table and a fire pit--which DOES get used!

We only were able to stay for one night, but if (when) I get back to Europe, I would love to plan a much longer stay and really take in all that the Chalet and Gryon have to offer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2013

When my boyfriend and I stayed at Chalet Martin for a few nights in May, we were absolutely blown away with the view (10,000 ft above sea level). From the cog-rail to get up to Gryon, to the stunning views of the Alps from our balcony and the great hospitality, we couldn't have asked for a better stay! Since it was off-season and the weather was +20 degrees Celsius, the chalet's hosts (Merlin and Gemma) took us on an incredible hike into the Alps. We'll never forget that experience and can't say enough great things about them or their hostel. Very cosy, tons of character, a full kitchen, living room, outdoor deck, laundry etc.

Room Tip: We chose the double private room on the first floor - it has a balcony with a view of the Alps and i...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Great view, service and facilities!
We were treated very well and had a great time. The staff was very helpful when planning our day trips, and provided equipment for us. I would recommend this hostel for everyone.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank NeilShipley
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Chalet Martin hostel really has it all - incredible views of the Swiss Alps, a friendly homey atmosphere, and the most helpful staff imaginable. The location couldn't be better, on a mountainside high in the Alps with a large selection of surrounding hikes, climbing routes, biking trails, and skiing in the winter. The other great thing to note about its location is that it was still fairly easily accessible for my friends and I who were travelling by train, as the Cog-rail travels directly from the Bex train station and stops a 2 minute walk from the hostel. What impressed me most about my stay at the hostel though was the helpfulness of the staff; they instantly provided us with all of the equipment that we didn't have and were eager to give us advice and directions. Overall an amazing stay, and I would definitely recommend Chalet Martin to anyone looking to explore the Swiss Alps.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Katherine, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I arrived at Chalet Martin at a bad time of year - too late to go skiing, to early to go hiking. But I still had an excellent, relaxing time.

The managers Merlin and Gemma are lovely, friendly and very welcoming. In fact, they kind of took me in and showed me what to do on a rainy day in the Swiss Alps! They also gave me directions for a beautiful hike to Solalex. Unfortunately conditions weren't great, but it's clear that they both know and love the region.

For 25 Swiss Francs this place is a bargain. Sit by the fire and read, or go for a walk, or skiing, it's great value for money, especially considering a crap hostel in Geneva is 40 Francs. This has much more character. Also has a great kitchen and really fun, cosy hang out areas, and guitars to play!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Incredible views, great and friendly service and picturesque setting, my stay at Chalet Martin has been one of the best Swiss weekends I have had yet. I would highly recommend Chalet Martin for anyone who is looking for a weekend outdoors a little off the beaten path, but still easy to get to.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
ChaletMartin, Manager at Chalet Martin, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Thanks for the Awesome review, we hope to see you guys again soon
Enjoy the rest of your time in Europe!
Merls
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Initially contacted them via e-mail and they responded very quickly with useful information about everything from how to get there to staying. I love the fact that they are not so strict about their check-in and check-out timings. Very kind managers, friendly and love to talk, have fun, and help with how to enjoy your stay. Outstanding views of the mountains and the valley. All you could hear in the morning is the birds singing. Fully equipped kitchen, enough dishes and cookers, many oven and lots of cooking ingredients you could use for your cooking basically for free. This place is like encyclopedia, once you are there, you have access to fast internet (if no laptop or smartphone, no worries, they have fast desktop computers), anything you wish for. They have everything, skis, snowboards, cycles and hiking stuff for very very cheap price. I definitely recommend this to cyclists, hikers, skiers and those who would like to see incredible countryside of Switzerland. Perfect place for group as well as couples, you will love staying there. Thank you guys, Rafal

Room Tip: Dorms rooms are like five star rooms, with incredible views of the snow capped mountains ... double...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
ChaletMartin, Manager at Chalet Martin, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
So glad you enjoyed your trip hope to see you again in the summer! Safe travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gryon
Chalet RoyAlp Hotel & Spa
Hotel Le Grand Chalet
Eurotel Victoria
Eurotel Victoria
#5 of 8 in Villars-sur-Ollon

Been to Chalet Martin? Share your experiences!