“Good Old Fashioned 3* Hotel with a 5* View!”
Review of Voramar Hotel

Voramar Hotel
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Benicasim
London
“Good Old Fashioned 3* Hotel with a 5* View!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My initial impression of the Voramar was one of disappointment. For a start my 'additional requests' had been ignored, or at least they could not be fulfilled. I only asked for a non-smoking, double not twin and higher floor room and received a smoking (judging by the ashtrays and smell) twin bed room on the first floor room.

Granted, there is a floor below but that was definitely the ground floor with rooms that open directly onto part of the outdoor patio area, so I imagine in Summer when the patio is filled with drinkers and diners enjoying a drink, chat, meal and cigarette just a few metres from the Mediterranean sea waves crashing gently onto the shore, it might be a bit noisy for anybody wishing to get some sleep before the early hours.

Apart from that. The reception was... er brusque, I guess would be the correct word!

In the course of the evening I was surprised by the lack of choice in the restaurant according to the menu that was on display at the seating station and a little surprised the team in the Cafe downstairs did not have a good grasp of English! Now I know that sounds a little old school colonial but I do not mean it that way. I was in Spain for the first time in twenty years and had decided to come just 36 hours earlier, else I would have at least found a phrase book and tried hard )))

Anyway... at the end of my first evening, I was of the opinion that, should I write a review, I would give one star... as you can see,, I have given more )))

My reasoning is this. The hotel does not even pretend to be a five star establishment. In my opinion, it could be with some investment, but heh, it isn't. It is a perfectly decent three star hotel though.

It is dated, the doors have to be slammed shut but then, this is not summer yet and the doors are made of wood. maybe they close more easily in the long dry summer.

Not to mention, the restaurant does actually have a better selection, but I did not see the two metre high poster until I was leaving the hotel. So... maybe it's just they are not too hot on marketing themselves. Certainly there was none of the usual hotel information in the room, I mean nothing, except something about charges for the telephone.

As you'll see from my photos, the rooms are wood heavy and it looks as though the sea air has taken its toll, but the room is still functional even if the mattresses are a little solid, good for the spine... right? and the LCD screen is a bit of an antique, but I was on holiday... in Spain... *next* to the Mediterranean sea... who needs a TV!! Although I was curious quite how part of the TV in my room had melted, but I just assumed some freak accident!

For a room with a minibar and a hammock I was a tad surprised to find the minibar contained just four bottles of water, one for each night of my stay I assumed, and the hammock was somewhat conspicuous by its absence. Given the size of the hammocks (when looking at neighbouring rooms) I would like to have seen the suitcase it left in!! But a replacement was quickly brought to my room, not as cool looking as the originals, but functional. The verbal instructions I was treated to were excellent, probably, but as they were delivered in Spanish I found it fun trying to follow, anyway, how hard could it be to get in a hammock )))

There is a safe in the room. Cool!

And when I left, the nice girl at reception was very helpful. She helped arrange a taxi for me and stored my luggage for later in the day, all with a wonderful warm and helpful demeanour.

But what really wins it for this hotel. What is really worth staying here for and worth ignoring any of the minor irritations is this... it is *on* the beach. You can step out of bed and be swimming in less than two minutes! And at night, the sea air and the sound of the waves lapping the beautiful sandy shore just outside the window are soporific in the extreme. It is incredible to have such beautiful sounds, sights and fresh air to enjoy and yet these very things send you into a deep a relaxed sleep! It was unfortunate that I had a number of neighbours that tried really hard to actually party all night, but even they were no match for these natural sleeping pills!

Couple of minor bugbears. It seems the housekeeping smokes during making up the room, either that or there is a serious plumbing problem in the hotel, I suspect the former is more likely.

The bath is only a bath for those around 1.5 metres, but the shower is fine. Mildew on the bottom of the shower curtain... I can even live with that because of the view!!

Breakfast was included and is fine. You might have to rush to get the bacon and eggs and peculiarly there are no potatoes available! And you'll need to get a crash course in working the coffee/tea machines and you might need to learn how the orange squeezer works but it is not rocket science )) And the toaster is cool, in a design way that is ))

Bottom line. I'd go back, certainly during low season the weather is great and the beaches empty.

Room Tip: Get an room facing the sea, it is worth the extra! Learn some Spanish, take a phrase book.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Turkish first
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 25 January 2014

When we thought we had seen it all, we found this unexpected little wonder on the beach on our way to Valencia. This historic hotel has been renovated since it's opening in 1930. Very clean. Great service with restaurant view on the sea. Each experience in the dinning room was consistence. Thank you to all the staff. We will come back. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: all room facing the sea although mountain side is beautiful with it's red rocks.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Travelling with our chihuahua makes it sometimes difficult to find hotels that accept pets. Searching for pet-friendly hotels, we were very lucky to find this one right on the beach in Benicassim which is scarcely a couple of blocks wide. Run by the same family for 4 generations, the spectacularly located hotel has had a colorful history including serving as a hospital during the Spanish Civil War. It is only 3 stories high so you feel you are in an intimate setting. We opted to pay extra for a room facing the Mediterranean (it was 90 euros/nite) and so glad we did as we had our own private terrace with table and chairs to sit out and even a hammock to relax in! At night, we left the door ajar and fell asleep to the soothing sounds of the waves on the beach one level below. The hotel's restaurant (white tablecloths, yet!) offers first-class cuisine and my hubby had a first-course of very flavorful rich thick lentil stew with pork while I had the most beautifully presented appetizer of duck pate foie graced with warmed goat cheese resting on a yummy biscuit. For entree we shared the traditional Paella Valenciana with chicken, rabbit and veggies which was absolutely delicious. For dessert, Carl had the house-made yoghurt with whipped cream cheese and rasperry sorbet nesting on cookie crumbs and I had the "Five Different Chocolates" which was a chocoholic's dream and included chocolate ice cream, a brownie, a sliver of dark chocolate, some chocolate mousse and all lathered with chocolate sauce. We were enjoying the experience so much that we decided to give up Tarragon to stay an extra night to relax before our final leg back to Barcelona. The hotel is right at the beginning of a 1.6kilometer esplanade along the beach into town center and along which are the famous (infamous?) "Villas", over-the-top and sometimes frivolous holiday homes built by wealthy Valencianos at the end of the 19th century and into the 20th. One set of these villas are referred to as "Hell" because of the wild scenes of social events and partying that went on in them during their heydays. Hemingway stayed in one while serving as a war correspondent and according to local lore, where he enjoyed a love affair with another American war correspondent. Fine Art Photographer Henri Cartier Bresson and author John Dos Pasos also stayed in the same villa which was turned into a hospital during the Spanish Civil War. As our second day was the Feast Day of St. Anton, the town was having a medieval market and a 10k run which went right past our hotel. We enjoyed the walk into town with the dog and saw some fascinating items for purchase at the medieval market including some delicious local cheese we bought and some beeswax candles to take home as gifts. Breakfast (included in the 90euro room-rate) both days in the hotel's lovely dining room overlooking the sea and both night's dinners were fabulous. We'd stay here again on our next trip!

Room Tip: Definitely pay the extra for an oceanview room!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank InnkeeperSandra13
Javea, Spain
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This Christmas decided not to stay at home due to a family loss so at the last minute booked 5 nights in this hotel. Although very upset on finding out they were not open for Christmas day meals or Christmas eve only breakfasts the hotel itself did not disappoint. Lovely sea-view room with balcony (fantastic morning sunrise) Staff were extremely helpful and we hired two bikes to go along the promenade. Had two days golf at Campo del Mediterraneo at Borriol where again the staff were brilliant as one of our booked days the weather was so windy we had to abandon play but they changed out day without any problems.
The food in hotel was excellent both with the morning breakfasts and the evening Menu del Dia which we had for 3 or the 5 nights. The cafeteria on the beach was ideal for an early evening drink and game of cards - I am sure this hotel is much more suitable to summer weather and sunshine but it suited our particular needs at a difficult time

Room Tip: Higher rooms overlooking the sea
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We went for lunch today to this place. It is amidst such an amazing location and its restaurant is just by the silver sand and the sea.The bright winter sun added to our experience.

We had very delicious Boccadilas.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Naresh T
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights when my husband became ill while on a driving holiday. Everyone of the staff here are fantastic! The housekeeping manager who organised our laundry in super short time, the room cleaner who was warm and friendly at every interaction, the receptionist who organised a doctors appointment for us ... We think their service was tops! We had an ocean facing room with a balcony, while the rooms are compact, they are made to feel more roomy by being able to use the balcony. The view was fabulous and the absolute beachfront location was great. My son and I swam every day. This hotel has old fashioned charm and real, old fashioned service.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Slightly disappointed on arrival not to have been placed next door to our friends as requested who had an upper floor room with uninterrupted beach/sea view. By the end of our visit our room and view had grown on us and we didn't want to leave and would definately visit again. Would probably agree that food was maybe a little pricey but we loved our stay. Hotel has a stunning position and the staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly in reception.

Room Tip: Sea view beautiful. Maybe not ground or first floor if you don't want to be aware of restaurant...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends