“Good Wholesome Food”

Cuisines: Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We visited as a group of 4 adults on a Friday steak night and we could not fault the service or the food. Everyone enjoyed their meal, I was the only person to have Salmon which was melt in the mouth delicious, everyone enjoyed their large steaks and at a cost of £21.50 for a 3 course meal this was excellent value for money. Well worth a visit and we will be back.

1  Thank BelfastChipndale
There are newer reviews for Billy Andy's

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Well the BFM had a meeting in Billy Andy's, a licensed spirit grocer, in the countryside of Antrim.

66 Browndod Road
Larne
BT40 3DX
United Kingdom
028 2827 0648

The Spirit Grocer,brings me back to time gone by!! This is a lovely countryside pub,meeting place and restaurant in a real authentic old Irish place,just like olden days.

I was greeted very warmly and given menu and ordered my usual water,which came promptly with ice and lemon. For my food I ordered the Rare Breed Pork platter and apple. This had five different types of pork- loin, hock, bacon, crackling and black pudding served on a rectangular white plate and then the place mat was a black slate, so impressive. I have wanted to try Billy Andy's since February as I was told it served great Irish food. So you cannot get more Irish than five types of pork especially black pudding, cabbage and of course spuds. The mash was mustard mash and creamy and fulfilling. The whole dish was well constructed and presented and was well worth the 25 minute wait,another indication of food cooked fresh and to perfection.

In short this was the best plate I have eaten all year. I'm looking forward to sampling more. This is a gem off the beaten track and Must be tried.

Once again the BFM shares the food love!!! Ciao down now!!!

2  Thank BelfastFoodTravelMan
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Set just outside Larne this bar/restaurant is easily the best in the area..the Friday night steak night which we attended was superb with excellent food and service, after the meal we enjoyed music from 3 local musicians who played very well and made it a great night...def one to go to.

5  Thank Paul461
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have always dined in Billy Andy’s for many years until recently when I noticed a large decline in quality and service. On several occasions I have tried to book a table and be refused due to being fully booked only to arrive anyway to have a drink to then discover the restaurant was more than half empty! Finally after 3 months I was able to book a table. When I arrived I felt unwelcomed by the manager and waiting staff no one seemed to know where I was to be seated although there was plenty of tables. I also felt throughout the evening a waitress named Zoe was very ignorant and never asked was everything fine with the meal for her then to find when clearing our dishes that we had ordered chips which we still had not received when finished. We were very disappointed with this visit however we still though the food was of good quality so we returned a few weeks later without booking. We were told we had to wait half an hour which we were happy enough with because we had not booked so had a drink and read the menu while waiting. We were then called to our table by the manager with the restaurant half empty AGAIN we were asked would we like a drink which we replied we had read the menu so we were ready to order our meal. The manager then told us “Well we are not ready for you yet”. I was shocked at this comment as it was surprising why he had called us into the restaurant, I then waited a further 20 minutes before being able to place my order. I had ordered the roast beef as my main to be told I was lucky as this was the last roast beef of the night. When I received my started I was then told they had ran out of roast beef and I had to reorder as well as trying to eat my starter. Yet again … disappointed. My father wanted to try this restaurant on father’s day to which I was unsure about his choice so when I rang to book I explained to the man on the phone I was worried about arriving and the full menu not being available, he assured me they were prepared and this would not be the case. When I was seated with my menu I was then told there was no roast beef at 6pm. To say the least I was fed up. This weekend I then returned at an earlier time than usual due to thinking they would have sorted this problem with the roast beef seeing it kept reoccurring to then be told when handed the menus by the manager “hello folks, the soup tonight is spring lamb broth and as usual there is no beef…”. We nearly decided to leave for a different restaurant. We noticed the standard of even the sides had fallen as the roast potatoes were hard and the chips were burnt.
I think the management of this restaurant is turning into a shambles as even I can see that they are unprepared and there are simple things that could be changed to prevent these problem. Due to all these bad experiences I feel like I have given this restaurant to many chances. It used to be always full with a great atmosphere and no issues. I personally feel that it has gone downhill and is not the 5* restaurant I once knew and loved so well.
I really did not want to come to writing this review about such a good place so I hope these comments are taken on board as it would be a delight to see the restaurant back to the way it used to be.

18  Thank Food-NI
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Food was absolutely beautiful ,very pleasant surroundings ,had to wait five or ten minutes for seating ,but well worth the wait ,the food was five star .cant wait to go back

2  Thank Martin D