“A wonderful b/b”

Derrin Guest House B&B
Ranked #1 of 7 Larne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2014

If your looking for accommodation in Larne there is no better place to stay nice friendly people excellent food cooked fresh for you good choice ,highly recommended and handy for the town too
Very handy if your catching the ferry from Larne it's around 20 miles from belfast

Room Tip: I would say that all rooms are very good
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hazzop

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We have recently returned from a trip to Southern Ireland and Northern Island and once again spent two nights the Derrin Guest House in Larne, Northern Ireland. We were given the same warm welcome by the hosts who remembered us from our previous visit last year. Ivy is very knowledgeable about the surrounding areas and recommends lots of places to visit and things to see. The rooms are very tastefully furnished and spotlessly clean and the breakfasts each morning are cooked to order with special treats on offer. We think Derrin Guest House is a little Jewel in the Crown and have no hesitation is recommending a stay there.

Room Tip: There is a beautiful family room which has two double beds if that is what guests are looking for.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Linda C
Reviewed 26 June 2014

could not have asked for anything better. Room was very comfortable and clean. Our hosts couldnt be more helpful. Breakfast delicious. I would thoroughly recommend staying here to anyone. Perfect base for visiting Northern Ireland.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Auntsally2014
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I had a long trip and i was to arrive late. I got in around ten and the owner welcomed me and my family. Very helpful, full of advice and guidance. We were to have an early rise before breakfast so he showed me where continental breakfast was going to be laid out. The sitting room has a mini fridge that has cans in it. All you leave is the cost. My girls loved this
The bed room was beautiful and i have to say my girls were in love with it. I slept like a baby in fact we all did and hated getting up. we went down stairs and found all we could need to have a simple breakfast, cereal, toast, fruit, juice. I Highly recommend this accommodation and it is only a short distance to the ferry

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Probably the best guest house I have ever stayed in. Beautiful room, home from home but better because every need is catered for. Lovely finishing touches which we really appreciated. The owners were incredibly helpful and were happy to spend time chatting, nothing seemed too much trouble. Breakfast was excellent with a varied choice. The house is beautifully renovated and the décor is lovely. Just wish we had known how good it was because would definitely stayed longer. Larne is a lovely place to explore. We would highly recommend Derrin Guest House.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed in this lovely B&B while travelling around Ireland. This was our base and from there we travelled by train into Belfast. We also one day travelled to the many quaint towns around Larne. We had dinners at the Spice Café and The Wine Bar. These were recommended by the owner. We were given lots of ideas of things to see that you normally wouldn't find in a tour book of Ireland.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank HeatherG1949
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Booked this guest house over 2 months prior to trip. Explained in the booking that we were bringing 87 and 89 year old parents with us on a reminiscing break. Arrived at 12.15 off ferry and phoned landlady to advise her we were here but we were going to have a drive around Larne before checking in. She said she only had 1 room booked for us even though our confirmation showed 2 rooms. She said she would see what she could do for us by the time we checked in. When we arrived back at 17.30 she told us she had managed to get another room down at a B&B at the harbour and that our parents could go there. We again explained that due to their age they would not be able to be separated from us as they are both unsteady on their feet. Her reply was "well you didn't say that when I explained I only had 1 room" . I told her she hadn't made it clear that by sorting the problem she was going to look for alternative accommodation for our parents. Anyway she directed us to an alternative B&B and told us that she could accommodate all of us the following evening if we wanted to return but that if we decided to stay at the other place to let her know as she likes to have all her rooms booked and she will open them up for booking. She said she was sorry but that she was. Personally I think it is very poor management that a landlady does not check in advance what bookings she has for the forthcoming week and then realises she has a double booking prior to our arrival. To only realise this after we have arrived in larne is poor. Had we known in advance we could have searched for alternative accommodation instead of having 2 elderly relatives, tired after 6.30am start for the ferry arriving to find out she had double booked.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Footiewidow
OptimisticLarne, Owner at Derrin Guest House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hi. You have written a review although you didn’t actually stay with us. Unfortunately, when entering your online booking in my diary I inserted one room instead of two which I apologised for when you rang me. I arranged alternative accommodation for you a couple of minutes drive away and I understand that you all had an enjoyable stay there. I have since implemented an on line channel manager to synchronise bookings which should prevent this situation recurring. I am sorry that I made an error on such a special trip which involved such elderly people. Best wishes. Ivy.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Larne
Ballygally Castle
Seaview Guest House
Seaview Guest House
#5 of 7 in Larne
Billy Andy's Bed & Breakfast

Been to Derrin Guest House B&B? Share your experiences!