“One of the best hotels I've visited in Norway”
Review of Scandic Grimstad

Scandic Grimstad
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Grimstad
Stavanger, Norway
“One of the best hotels I've visited in Norway”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

What a great hotel. The staff always greet you, the rooms are clean and nice. Excellent beds. Nice ambiance in the lobby and dining room. Good breakfast, fresh smoothies. The staff always asks if you need more coffee. The ony negative thing was that they serve a small bacon slice on top of a fried egg. With a buffet like that this was a let down. But it's a great hotel! We will visit this hotel again for sure!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Kristin S, Reception at Scandic Grimstad, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
We are glad to hear that you want to visit us again here in Grimstad, you are always welcome! We appreciate your kind words and we hope it won't be too long before you want to visit us again. Best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 28 January 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located in the middle of town, with walking distance to many of the towns restaurants. Rooms are nice and staff are always smiling and helpful. Great breakfast with lots of dishes, meat and fish, to choose from. Looking forward to the next stay.

• Stayed January 2013
Kristin S, Reception at Scandic Grimstad, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Thank you so much for your review and kind words. Nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us in Grimstad and we are hoping to see you back soon!
UK
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The hotel is in a great location and the first room I had was clean, compact with a smart shower room and lovely view. My experience of the hotel was marred by a combination of extremely inexperienced staff, faulty wiring and a truly awful evening meal in the restaurant.
On arrival there was only one member of staff who was completely overwhelmed by a party of around 6-7 people who had already checked in but were asking for help/directions. So I waited a pretty long time to be checked in - I would have had a drink in the tiny bar beside reception but there was no-one available to serve.
I found my room, there was no-one to help with luggage, and unpacked. I then called reception and requested the use of an iron. The girl asked me to come down for it. Anyone else would have brought it to my room but no, so I collected the iron and the iron board and carried it upstairs. There was only one plug in my room immediately behind the door so had no choice but to put the ironing board up there. I no sooner plugged it in than it blew the lights in the room. I'm now in the pitch black unable to get to the door. I call reception and explain the situation. They leave me there in the pitch black for 20mins while trying to find someone to fix the lights. This person never materialises, so I call back and suggest they might need to move me to another room - the receptionist was clearly put out by this. She asked me to come back down to reception and I explained again that I couldn't get out the room and was reluctant to try to move a faulty electrical appliance in the dark.
She eventually came, with no light or torch as might have been helpful and I had to traipse down to reception to get a fresh room key. I then went through the trying process of getting another iron - which she asked me not to plug in, in the hallway as it might blow the lights in the whole hotel!
I eventually made it to the restaurant for something to eat and ordered the burger as I thought it was a safe choice. It was eventually served to me raw by a girl who clearly hadn't even looked at what was on the plate. When I sent it back she exclaimed 'oh not again'. She did not in the meantime offer me bread or anything as a substitute.
On checking out the following morning I explained my disappointing experience but was offered no reduction to my bill, they even insisted I pay for the peanuts I was forced to eat from the room after the appalling meal.
In short this hotel has nice rooms and a wonderful breakfast but the service left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Rannveig J, Front Office Manager at Scandic Grimstad, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you for your feedback - we appreciate this!

Sorry to hear that you are not completely satisfied with our hotel and service. As we strive to improve on a daily basis, we depend on your feedback. I am sorry that we did not receive your complaint earlier, so that we could more easily address the issues of concern, however we will do our best to fix this now.

We hope to see you again in Grimstad some day in the future, and that we can live up to our standards then.
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We visited Grimstad during the Grimstad Powerboat Show and stayed a few nights in the Rica Hotel. The staff is very friendly, the breakfast is excellent, the rooms very nice. We like the architecture of the lobby area with the house fronts around - great idea.
I´m looking forward to come again in 2013 !

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Kristin S, Reception at Scandic Grimstad, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay here with us. You are more than welcome back at any time!

Kind regards
Reviewed 18 October 2012

During the Powerboat Worldchampionship in Grimstad last August (2012) I stayed for a week. Check in was quick, service superb and I felt "at home". Breakfast next morning was my next exp, And what a team. Always a smile on everyones faces.

I highly reccomend to visit the resturant as well.

With an average OF 75 nights a year - Rica Grimstad tops my scoring list, And I will be back soon !

• Stayed August 2012
Kristin S, Reception at Scandic Grimstad, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
We appreciate your comments here on Trip Advisor, and thank you for kind words. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and also got the chance to try our restaurant. We are hoping to see you again soon!

Kind regards
norge
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I stayed at the Rica Hotel Grimstad, during Grimstad Power Boat Show, August 2012.
The service was fantastic. Even with a fully booked hotel, the staff had time to fulfill my wishes. The Breakfast buffet was beyond all expectations, I have only once before been to a hotel, which could provide such a varied range of food and beverages, in relation to the size of the hotel and that was the Hilton Hotel, New York, USA. The rooms may not be the biggest but they are very cozy and comfortable, with nice bathrooms, free internet and all the coffee I wanted - in my room while I was working there a few hours. Since I booked the room very late this hectic weekend, then it's quite possible that I got one of the smaller rooms. Because of my working hours, I did not have time to check out the restaurent, unfortunately. But if it's only half as good as the breakfast buffet, then I'm not affraid to recommend it. Although it is a great hotel, it's the staff, that is the biggest plus here. If I ever have to stay overnight at a hotel in Grimstad again, I REFUSE to stay anywhere else, but at the Rica Hotel

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Kristin S, Reception at Scandic Grimstad, responded to this review, 20 January 2013
Thank you for your positive response and for the kind words about our breakfast buffet, we are very proud of it! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us and we are hoping to see you back in Grimstad this summer.
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Grimstad is a charming town typical for Southern Norway and Rica Hotel Grimstad does it full justice. The layout of the hotel is special as it has to fit a very congested town. Accordingly the rooms vary in size and layout. Take care! Otherwise we have stayed at this hotel for the last four years and I am very satisfied, it really stands out among Norwegian city hotels. For a start, the reception is staffed with nice, forthcoming personnel, the breakfast is the best there is and they take good care of you. The comfort of our room (237) was very good; the bathroom rather smallish.
In the basement there is a good restaurant (where the guests of the hotel get 15 % discount on the food), but this year it did not quite deliver to the standard of former years. The wine list was based on product from Vectura. To put it bluntly that is not a very good idea. The selections in the meagre wine list were hard to understand. It turned worse when they were short of many of the wines. (No suprise as Vectura has not delivered for the last year.) We ordered angler fish (breiflabb); the fish was excellent, but the vegetables should rather have matched grilled lamb chops; they were not in tune. The waitress was very nice and competent.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Rannveig J, Front Office Manager at Scandic Grimstad, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Thanks for your feedback - we are glad to see you are satisfied with us. As for the winelist, we are currently reviewing it and hope to be up to desired standards by next time you come to stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grimstad
Strand Hotel Fevik
#1 of 1 in Tvedestrand
Scandic Sorlandet
Scandic Sorlandet
#9 of 19 in Kristiansand

Been to Scandic Grimstad? Share your experiences!