“Worst Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Worst Hotel”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. We have travelled to Cyprus numerous times and How people think loose stair and balcony rails are acceptable is beyond me, especially when they have young children. This hotel is 'extremely' dangerous and I witnessed numerous accidents which resulted in ambulances having to be callled. This is not what you expect or want when you go abroad on holiday. The ceiling fell in on some children playing pool in the games room one evening

The staff are rude and not very helpful. Some people we spoke to go have gone to this hotel for 10 years and confirmed it had 'gone down hill' this year and would not be returning.

Am I just missing something but if the brochure advertises a sauna/steam room, childrens play room and hairdressers, then even if you aren't going to be using these facilities you still expect them to be available for guests who may do want to use them. Is this not false advertising ???

The hotel managers over friendly behaviour was sometimes inappropriate towards his staff and some of the guests, depending on your hair colour and figure !!!

The food was not covered and left for the flys to feast on - not very hygenic. There was no effort to even make the dining room look nice, maybe a few flower decorations here and there would make it look at bit more appertising.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank jane m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We have just returned from our 5th stay at the Tsokkos Beach Hotel, Protaras, Cyprus, and what can i say, apart from thank you for another great stay!

Checking in went smoothly upon arrival.

Rooms:
We had a room for 2 (myself and my 14 year old daughter) and it was lovely and clean. Great sea/pool view.

Restaurant:
The restaurant is very spacious and light. Good air conditioning. Plenty of food choice at breakfast, ranging from a full English, continental,cereals, fruit. The list was endless and included freshly made pancakes this year which went down extremely well with us!
Lunch time was no different.Lots of choice, including fresh salads, fish, meats, and good choice for young children.
Dinner, again, had a great choice though did get a little repetitive.

Bar:
The bar staff were friendly,attentive and it was great to see some familiar faces! Nothing was too much trouble.

Pool:
The pool area is well maintained, apart from some broken umbrellas. There was always plenty of sunbeds, and we also used the Hotels pool towel 'hire' for the first time. It was just a small deposit of 5 euros per towel, which you got back at the end of the week,on returning the towels. You could change them for fresh ones every day.

The overall cleanliness of the hotel was second to none. The maids worked very hard, day and night.

Location:
The location is pretty much perfect. 3 minutes either way out of the hotel and you're either at the beach, or the resort centre.

i was a little worried when i booked, as this year is the first time we have been during school holidays, so i thought standards may slip,but i happily proven wrong.

All in all, it was yet another brilliant holiday at Tsokkos Beach. Even the hotel manager carried my suitcase to the coach on departure! That's what you call service!

i really would try this hotel out for yourself and don't be put off by negative feedback. Everybody is different.

Room Tip: I would choose a higher floor if possible (there are 4), and try not to be near to the staircase, as...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank k73k
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel last year with my wife and 8 vyear old son we payed £1800 for two weeks all inclusive Witch I considered excellent value we have rebooked for this year in October it cost £2000 . Fed up of reading these reviews people moaning about triviall things when we stayed you got the same people complaining day after day. what do you want for your money ? if your looking for five star luxury with cuisine to match something you would get in the carribean then this is not the hotel for you in fact you won't find anything like that in protaras. The nearest thing would be capo bay hotel where you would pay three times the price and not all inclusive. I have been holidaying in protaras for the last 13 years and stayed in many different hotels , apartments and villas.but I consider tsokkos beach one of the best value for money. Yes the rooms are dated but I don't sit looking at my room all day I just shower and sleep there. No the sauna isn't available but I don't want a sauna in 30 degree heat, yes there are loose railings and holes
In Walls and so on and so on but this is cyprus not england you do get this sort of thing in my experience .My wife and child are very fussy eaters but they could always find something to eat at mealtimes I thought the food was good . We went with the intention of eating out 50 percent
of the time as the local resteraunts are so good, but only did twice. The alcohol I had no problems with as much as you like no problem and the Keo was not watered down . To sum it up good hotel ,good location , good food , good beer (for european all inc standard),very clean , nice staff .I got exactly why I expected for my money. This is a budget all inclusive hotel. People book these sort of holidays and expect to much in my opinion .

• Stayed October 2011
6 Thank Shazmarkbj
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Travelled on 23/05/12 for a fortnight all inclusive. When arriving at the hotel found it to be very dated and expected to see Basil Faulty at the reception.Our room was very dated and we were very dissapointed as we'd paid over £2200 for the holiday although must add room was clean the bed was like sleeping on concrete. If you like BBC world news on TV then you'll be fine as only english channel on the ancient TV.No tea or coffe making facilities in the rooms either.The only plus point for this hotel is the pool was nice and very clean. Food we thought was terrible and nothing seemed to go together meat was always very dry and no refrigheration at all on salad bar with flies all over it.Drinks at the bar were very poor quality dont expect to get tipsy on them you'll be dissapointed. If your diabetic limited to water or diet coke the latter of which the hotel ran out of one day so complaint was made to the manager.Facilities at the hotel are very poor especially for kids, no play area for them and play room was full of junk and inaccessible.Jacuzzi , sauna and massage rooms were permanantly locked and gym was always open which had no one to supervise, if you have young children we though accident waiting to happen as right next to toilets. No disabled toilets and cubicles very small even for petite people.Toilets are located under the hotel with access via stairs or lift not ideal for elderly people. All bannisters and railings around the hotel were very loose and not fixed correctly.Decorators were painting corridoors near toilets all walls were wet with paint yet no signs to say so. When we were there it was a cypriot water festival and they were allowed to over run the hotel and eat and drink in the restaurant free of charge they were very ignorant and arrogant as paying guests we felt we had paid to suppliment their meals and drinks which made a lot of guests very angry. The hotel had ambulances there every day as lots of accidents which ive never seen before in any hotel. Parasol was not fixed to base and an elderly lady was hit on the head when it blew out of its base resulting in 4 stitches and 2 black eyes her husband was also cut right down his forearm. The entertainment was very poor although the Thomas cook reps were very friendly they are limited to what they can do, each night very repetitive with Bingo, play your cards right etc.We found a lot of the staff very unhelpful and even monitoring certain peoples drinks. There were a lot of complaints made to Thomas cook and we will take our complaint a lot further now we are home. Protaras is a beatiful resort just the hotel was terrible we would advise you to stay elsewhere this hotel is a 1 possibly 2star rating at very most.Have mainly videos for our complaint if anyone needs them please contact me.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wayne c
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Travelled 30 May 2012 for my sisters wedding. Our party had over 25 guests. Could not fault the hotel all of our needs were catered for. I travelled with my partner and 7 year old daughter. We had a mountain view room and I must add that I wanted a pool view room but I am glad I didnt get one as my brother was right over the stage and the entertainment didnt finish until after midnight every night and with 2 children it was quite loud. Overall we had a great time and the wedding was amazing!!! x

Room Tip: If u want poolside it is odd number rooms and a mountain side room it is even numbers
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 306Sarah_Marie87
Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

Just got back from the one week we spent here. The trip was for a wedding and the hotel was perfect. Ok yeah so the rooms are a little dated, but they are clean. The hotel is very clean, staff very nice and food is of a good standard. If you don't get on with the food then the main high street is a few seconds walk out of the hotel. The beach is no more then 2 mins a way. All in all a fantastic time had by all!!!!

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Martyn B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

after checking reviews of our newly booked holiday i decided to look at reviews of our holiday at the tssokos beach protaras sept 2011. firstly i have to say why people think malky & leanne are so fabulous is totally beyond me, they are truly the worse entertainers i have ever been unentertained by, totally boring & just as predictable its a pity they didnt entertain as well as they praised themselves. Left there shifts early because the hotel was quiet, arrived late stating they had been chatting around the pool, pair of lazy sods if you ask me & the fact they have been split up this year is a bonus for the clients of 2012. Hotel was clean but dated no complaints really average hotel average price, must add though the tssokos group have 5 or 6 hotels side by side in the resort and the hotel was full with people who had been overbooked by several other tssokos hotels in the immediate area, bear this in mind when booking with this chain. Pool area quite nice, food repetitive & head waiter was an arrogant grey haired version of manuel from faulty towers. All in all if you want a average hotel with average food and bingo as entertainment and the playlist on a loop you will be happy here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple