“Summer July 2013”

Ranked #25 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
West Bromwich, England, United Kingdom
“Summer July 2013”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Our 5th visit to this hotel, when we heard that some of our favourite staff had moved on, we were initially disappointed BUT on arrival we still had the warm & friendly welcome as always. We were taken up to our room, the air conditioning was fully on, beautifully chilled, along with wine (and ice bucket) and a lovely view of the pool & sea. Yes I admit the rooms are dated and in need of a refurbishment but they are very clean & realistically how much time do you actually spend in there? so no complaints at all.
The new restaurant manager is a pure delight, well motivated and extremely well organised along with his hard working staff. This was the first time we never had to queue to be seated for the whole 2wks we stayed even though the hotel was very busy, well done guys!.
The swimming pool is large & lovely with plenty of sunbeds and yes the pool is cleaned in the early mornings, I've watched it being done. The tiny square pool floor tiles (that were often picked off or missing) have been replaced with large ones, so it's lovely now.
The location is superb, roughly a 3 minute walk to the beach where you'll find all sorts of water activities such as boat rides, jet ski's, para-sailing etc. There are plenty of shops, bars & restaurants within very easy walking distance but nothing to disturb your sleep at night even though the hotel is extremely well located to everything.
The food is as you would expect in any all-Inclusive, not fantastic but not bad at all with plenty of choice for all tastes and nationalities and always plenty off, can't complain there at all! The bar staff are polite & friendly and will make your drinks as strong or as week as you request with a good choice of cocktails.(the bar, cleaning & restaurant staff all do a fantastic job)
Entertainment - well what can I say "Danny boy?" (head entertainer) this guy is truly talented, a complete all-rounder who does basically everything even yoga!!. His fire show is excellent and he goes out of his way to talk to everyone and even remember your names!. Never thought anyone would come close to being as good & funny as "Malky & Leanne" Glad to hear you will be back this year Danny.
My only gripe (same as other reviewers) is the rudeness of some eastern Europeans who think they don't need to wait to be served at the bar and also pile so much food, especially melon onto their plates, either leaving it to be thrown away or they pile it into their bags WHY????
By the way my parents are eastern European & I have never acted that way!! Even so - would I go back to this hotel, mmm let me think? Absolutely yes, looking forward to going back this summer for fun, sun and very friendly faces.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jasmina C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Just spent a week here, rooms in the hotel are quite dated & require some refurbishment & we felt a bit crammed in a twin room being 4 of us....but we only slept in there! Rest of the hotel was lovely....we loved it here....being the last week of the season it was fairly quiet, so there was plenty of room round the pool which was lovely although cold! The food was brilliant....good choice at every mealtime & of excellent quality....the staff were great, really friendly & happy to help. We had 2 small children & they were well entertained by the staff with activities every day....they absolutely loved it! On our last day we were the last ones to leave, the staff kindly continued to serve us drinks & put a full meal on for us before we left which was very much appreciated! The hotel is sited close to the beach & all the shops, great location. I would definitely recommend staying here, we had a brilliant time & were sad to leave!! We would definitely go back

• Stayed October 2013
7 Thank ralhee
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a week in October we thought it was in a ideal location. Rooms quite nice, all staff very helpful and friendly, lots of Russian guest but on the whole didn't bother us. Will probably make a return visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sheila M
northumberland
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Having stayed at this hotel twice already and having the two best holidays there, I was very disappointed this year, Reading many other reviews it appears the manager replies and makes out like he know's the individual of the review, in this case if a reply is received by Costas to that effect its a lie, I did not speak with Costas at all this holiday and never have!, The rooms are in need of being updated, however as you don't spend the majority of your holiday in a room, the poor decoration did not bother me, I was disappointed that our room had inch wide gaps in the flooring that my baby kept catching her feet on, there were ants in the room, the room constantly stunk of blocked drains, my babys cot had a matress in it that was a foot to big and she had to sleep on a slant for the first week!, we complained about the room and were told hotel was fully booked and the man at reception really couldn't be bothered with us, I then went to speak with our Thomas cook rep, the next morning we were moved rooms which was much better.
On several occasions we could not get a high chair, we waited 40 minutes once and by that time my children were tired, hungry and wingy, on 4 occasions we had to eat out as we could not get a high chair for my one year old!, most of the staff were very friendly but the atmosphere has changed, Jan, Ralin, Alex, Burriana and Konrad were all a miss and brightened the place up. I felt the food was not as good as it had been in the past and meal times were absolute chaos!, As for the stomach bugs etc, Costas stated in an earlier review that no other guests had been ill, I know 3 other familys who spent time in hospital with stomach bugs, the doctor confirmed to us this has been going on all summer!, the entertainment staff were friendly and polite enough, but the entertainment was not as good as other years when it was done by Thomas cook staff. I would not return to this hotel, I do not expect 5 * as that was not what I paid, however this hotel has gone down hill.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank vaughns v
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Being disabled and our first visit to Cyprus, we found this hotel to be fantastic value for money. This holiday was booked through Thomas Cook and their rep was nothing short of being brilliant. Thank you Stuart for all of your help and assistance.
This Hotel does exactly what it says on the tin, it is very clean and tidy, The rooms are supplied with clean towels EVERYDAY and cleaned to a very high standard. The hotel staff are brilliant and the food speaks volumes, in as much the choice, and variety leave nothing to be desired. This for us brilliant because we were able to eat almost anything we wanted without the fear of tummy bugs or upsets. (The coffee machine needs a new thermostat tho lol :-))
Only one small gripe is that the rooms are a little tired and in need of a brighten up.
The evening entertainment was great for both the children and grown ups alike. Danny keep on shaking those balls we like............... The Fire Show was very warming and well presented.
Would we return?????????? would we recomend this hotel to anyone????????
OH YESSSSS.
Thanks everyone for a very nice good value holiday, it was well worth waiting for, see you all again next year.

Room Tip: Ask reception for a pool view it is well worth it, especially when the sun rises in the morning.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Dave W
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We had brilliant holidays stopping here in 2009 and 2010 so we were really looking forward to coming here a 3rd time. What a let down! Food in the canteen disappointing and not as good in previous years. I used to enjoy a glass of wine at meal times but I wouldn't even put it on my chips. The keo they serve at the bar has more water in it than the water! You can no longer order fresh food off the menu in between meals, there is only nuggets,chips etc that have been standing for god knows how long. Not enough baby chairs, so regularly had to wait or comeback later on when one was available. My wife and I spent a night each in hospital with stomach bugs and we weren't the only ones. The standards that this hotel has fallen to leads me to think this wasn't a coincidence. To be fair they did move us to a better room as when i came out of hospital i nearly threw up dew to the smell of drains in our room! The reps are no longer English as they have to be Russian speaking to speak to the majority of hotel guests. No banter from them and the entertainment was poor. Will not be going back.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Martin V
costas p, General Manager at Tsokkos Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
I do not usually come into conflict with clients but this time I have no any other option but to defend the hotel and the staff , At first you never complained about the wine and beer , as for eating out that Cyprus has no element buffet but after I explained the menu and as you saw several Cypriot food changed your view on the issue.
 as for the Italian wine is very tasty wine , and beer KEO of the best we have on our island , we here in company A.Tsokkos Hotels not easily reconciled when dealing with the quality products that we serve our customers
As for your stay in the hospital owe gastroenteritis as stated in the medical information we have, and gastroenteritis is virus which might be affected by the human body very easily, and has nothing to do with food , and we had not any other similar incident at hotel . also we have hosted the analyzes in water and food a week you while were staying at our hotel.
 Sorry that was not really pleasant your holiday but was not our fault .

Constantinos Panayiotides

Fareham
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The hotel was excellent. Having been to Pathos in previous years Protaras was a new area to us and hotels unknown. We picked this one based on that it was a reasonable price and near to the centre and beach. We were more than happy with our choice. We stayed for 2 weeks. Usually food on the 2nd week becomes a bit repetitive but at this hotel the choice of food was great and there was always something new to try in the 2nd week. All food was excellent and of very good quality.
Service was good, rooms were good. Location was excellent and we could go to beach, come back for lunch and return to beach knowing our belongings would still be there. Only negative comment would be that the pool was a bit cooler than I expected and that dress code for evening meals was not upheld and a few people were in my opinion not dressed appropriately men in vests. Would recommend to anyone and hope to return next year to either this hotel or another one within the Tsokkos chain.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road get the sun in the afternoon evening.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple