“Good hotel for a 3 Star superior and for a budget holiday, you get what you pay for indeed”

Cavo Maris Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for two weeks from 12th October to 26th October on a BB basis. Having kept in touch with the hotel manager and his secretary Melanie, many of the staff knew of me by the time we arrived at the hotel.

Positives about this hotel were as follows:

Maid services was brilliant, every day our room would be clean and fresh and the staff were friendly

No matter how busy the hotel got, there was always enough space outside not far from the pool area to sunbathe which was good.

The bus services outside the hotel was really good too, we used the local buses for most of our stay and found it really handy getting a bus pass for the week especially where we went clubbing for a few nights in Ayia Napa. Buses are about 1.40 euros for a single trip, definitely great way to save money on Taxis for sure. They run every 15-20 minutes in the day time and even up until 4am. After 11pm the price doubles to 2.50euros. Would definitely recommend the bus services, but just avoid the busy periods because of the Water Park in Ayia Napa and Nissi Beach.

Another thing my friend and I found really good was the fact that most of the reception staff were really friendly, approachable and helpful. Elias the young guy helped us and advised us with information on the nightlife in Ayia Napa, and going to Nicosia by Coach which saved us some money. Piroska helped me find Tiara the hairdressing and beauty salon in the Protaras Strip so I could go and get my massages done. And I definitely recommend this place as I felt refreshed and good after my massages. The prices were reasonable too!

Wi-Fi was available for free in the Lobby area, sometimes the reception wasn't that great as I needed to call my family a few times and it would cut out, but it was definitely handy having it.

We upgraded to Side Sea View room too which was well worth doing, as we compared the room to the standard, as I had read previous reviews on the rooms and been recommended to stay in the side sea view. We had to pay 140euros for the upgrade in total, but it wasn't a bad price.

Restaurant staff in the breakfast room were friendly once we got chatting to one of the ladies so that made some of our holiday too.

So on the whole if we needed information about things the receptionists were helpful.

Negatives:

There was a charge of 3 euros per day for the use of the mini bar in our room which applied to everyone in the hotel, so considering we were there for two weeks this would have cost us 39euros which we didn't think was worth doing for soft drinks we had. So we just had to keep getting ice from the hotel lobby bar when we wanted drinks cold.

Another negative for me was the swimming pool outside the hotel, I love swimming a lot and was disappointed that it was too cold for me to go in. Having had a bad accident last year I could have done with swimming as much as possible so I think if the pool was warmer slightly then more people would want to go in it. Not a lot of people went inside the pool anyway, and apparently having spoken to another British lady who stayed at a different hotel not far from us, she had said the same thing about her hotel pool, that it was too cold for her to go in.

We thought the breakfast was okay on a day to day basis, although the scrambled eggs did not taste right, fried eggs were only served twice a week which was really strange, there wasn't a lot of choice for the breakfast. The bread would be a little stale by the time we arrived in the breakfast room. But it was good for me as I didn't want to be having fried food every morning so I would have the cereal and mix it up. At times there would be the odd person from different countries who would be staring at us whilst having our breakfast and sometimes I would really find that most intimidating but just carried on as normal.

Finally our check out time was at 12pm on 26th October, and we really wanted to see if we could have our room till about 6pm as our flight back home was not till later. A few days earlier we were told that we should be able to stay our room for longer for 18euros but when we asked the night before and on the morning, there were people coming to our room that day so the hotel staff could not do anything for us which was a shame. I think the option to keep the room for longer should definitely be given to customers who do not fly out till late as my friend and I were exhausted that day and night and could have done with some rest given the chance.

I think having travelled to various different countries myself, where you stay accommodation wise is very important, and its comfort and staff that make it special and enjoyable so thank you to the staff of Cavo Maris and best of luck for the future.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to the side sea view room as it was the best
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank NILS28
Prcavo, Public Relations Manager at Cavo Maris Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear NILS28,

Many thanks for your review following your stay with us in October 2013.

We noted your comments:
- Maid services were brilliant, room clean and fresh everyday
- Staff were friendly
- Always enough space outside
- Good bus service
- Reception staff really friendly, approachable and helpful
- Free wifi in the lobby
- Restaurant staff friendly

Regarding your negative points:

Minibar policy
We would respectfully suggest to you to communicate with any hotel before booking it, to enquire about their various policies including empty minibars.
Our hotel (like all hotels in Cyprus, the U.K, and internationally) have a Minibar service. In our hotel, it is offered free and you do not pay any rent for it. There is only an obligation to consume and pay for one drink per room per day, not per person (i.e. one drink to be shared among all the occupants of the room, which in your case was one drink per day to be shared by 2 persons). This is the only condition (a minimum consumption of € 3.00 daily). Then you can use the Minibar any way you wish and put anything you want in it. So we believe there is a misunderstanding in this matter:
a) What is a fridge and what is a Minibar and
b) What is a rental charge and what is an obligation of a very small minimum consumption.
For your full information, this facility together with many others, as from season 2014 will be standard facilities in all our rooms without any extra charge.

Cold swimming pool
It would be more effective and helpful for you when booking a holiday if you could check first and find hotels with a heated swimming pool as indeed, in October, all swimming pools in summer resorts can be rather cold.

Breakfast
Our breakfast is a rich American style buffet with a huge variety of items including 3 types of butters, 7 types of jam/marmalade, 6 cold deli items (cheeses and meats), 7 hot items with 2 choices of eggs, porridge, selection of 5 types of breads, 3 cereals, fresh fruits, yogurt and fruit yogurt, cake and fruit cake, tea, coffee, sweets, dates and various juices. To us and to the vast majority of our guests, nothing is missing and the offered items are the same or even compared favourably with breakfast of hotels with higher classifications. We do not believe that the above items are poor choice. Please appreciate the fact that it is very difficult to satisfy everyone’s taste in a hotel catering for multinational guests.

Extension of check-out time
Regarding the extension until 6pm, of course we always give extensions until the time guests can use their rooms, especially in periods of lower occupancy or when we know for sure that the next arriving occupants of the room are arriving late. This is primarily the reason we ask our guests to contact us early on the day of departure, when we have a clearer picture (a room may be free for 7 days before, but in the meantime, it is still on sale and may be sold last minute).

Offering 1 or 2 common courtesy rooms for all departing guests is not an unusual practice (depending on the amount of available rooms). The hotel has an obligation to have the rooms of arriving guests available at check-in time which is the latest by 14.00 hrs (when rooms are available earlier, they are allocated to arriving guests). However, we cannot tell them their room will be ready a few hours later because the previous guests are given an extension and are still in the room.

In any case, the matter of guests remaining in the hotel after their check-out time and until pick-up time will hopefully be permanently sorted in the near future. The hotel is creating some specially designed “courtesy rooms” for these cases.

We thank you again for your nice comments and for taking the time to review our hotel. We certainly look forward to welcoming you again on some future occasion. In the meantime, we wish you a nice Autumn/Winter.

There are newer reviews for Cavo Maris Beach Hotel

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We have just arrived home after a one week stay at the Cavo Maris Beach Hotel. After a very disappointing stay at a Thomas Cook supposed 4* hotel last year, we decided to use trip adviser as our guide this year. Many reviews said this hotel should be 4* and we couldn't agree more.
The location is superb. Settled on the stunning coastline with a small, calm bay at the foot of its sprawling lawns. The beach is crystal clear with lots of fish for the kiddies to try catching.
The pool is gorgeous, a great sized pool for kids and another great sized one for the adults complete with pool bar. Lovely deep pool too that is lit up beautifully at night time.
We went all inclusive and were impressed at the variety of drinks on offer, plenty of cocktails as well as your usual beers and local spirits, soft drinks and milk shakes.
The food was good but could have been better for vegetarians. However you find this with most places and after flagging this up to the staff they were more than happy to make me separate food whenever I wanted more choice which we thought was fabulous service.
There are only two very small issues we would flag up. The first is the system for having cards for all inclusive rather than the wrist bands which we have usually had in all inclusive resorts. It became quite a pain trying to remember to carry your card around at all times. Secondly we were very disappointed that as all inclusive guests you weren't permitted to eat your main meals (lunch and dinner) outside, you had to be seated in the restaurant. One of the things we love most about holiday is taking leisurely meals outside whilst enjoying the weather. We were told that outside eating was for al la carte customers who we're paying for each meal. A waiter explained this was because they have all inclusive and paying guests, and with over 300 all inclusive guests it could get complicated if everyone wanted to eat outside. Surely it should be first come first served? And during our week there were never more than approx 10 people eating outside at meal times with at least 80 percent of the outdoor area empty, but we still had to sit inside.
However these are the only two negatives of the hotel. The staff were great, Sergio the entertainer was fabulous, the hotel was spotlessly clean and we will definitely be booking again next year. This was our best holiday to date and we wouldn't hesitate in recommending it.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Berriboo

Dear Berriboo,
Many thanks for your review following you stay with us in October 2013.

- this hotel should be 4 *
- location is superb
- beach is crystal clear
- pool is gorgeous, great sized pool for kids
- impressed with variety of drinks
- food was good
-staff were great
- hotel spotlessly clean

Regarding your negative points:

Food could be better for vegetarians
It is very difficult to cater for various preferences and diets but our staff including the Chef, Food & Beverage Manager and Guest Relations Officer is always very happy to help in these cases.

All Inclusive wrist bands
In the beginning, we were using the system with coloured wrist bands for our guests, but we had to replace them with the card system for All Inclusive, primarily because
a) We are not an exclusively All Inclusive hotel
b) A lot of guests were moaning as they did not like to feel “noticeable and marked”.
The decision to change the system was taken after a survey was made with all our All Inclusive guests for 3 months. The question was, “which system did they prefer?” The result was 73% preferred the card and 27% preferred the wrist bands.

All Inclusive meals not taken outside
We do not serve entitled meals on the outside terrace of the main Restaurant not only to All Inclusive guests, but also to Half-board or Full-board guests. The capacity of the terrace is about 80 seats and is serving an A La Carte menu. An area with 80 seats designed for a different purpose cannot serve 200 All Inclusive guests plus 200 Half-board and Full –board guests. Even if we allow use of these 80 seats for some guests, we will inconvenience all the other Half-board, Full-board and All Inclusive guests and all the A La carte guests. The doors of the restaurant will be permanently wide open for people going in and out to the buffets and the other 320 people sitting inside will be boiling in the Cyprus heat as the air-conditioning will be escaping out the open doors.

We are sure you noticed that breakfast, drinks and snacks are served to All Inclusive guests and all other guests, in this area as the above reasons do not exist. Even extra mobile seating is set up for breakfast in the (empty in the morning) entertainment area. It is cooler in the morning and doors can stay open. Also no A La carte meals are served during breakfast.
In this respect we wish to sincerely apologise for the “poor” reason for the restriction, given by our staff. Instructions have been given for a more efficient and accurate one.

Indeed, at the end of the season there are not so many guests using the terrace for A La Carte meals but there a lot more using it between June and September. Please appreciate the fact that we cannot change policies every month.

We are glad that “this was your best holiday to date”. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year and wish you a nice Autumn/Winter.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Where to start! The Cavo Maris has a 22 years history. I am back once again only because it happens to be one of my favourite and I consider it the #1 Family Hotel in Protaras. So nice each time to see familiar faces and friends around! Personally, with all my background experience of travelling and spending a quarter of a year in hotels, I consider the Cavo Maris a 4*hotel. It fulfils all the specifications of one such and exceeds by far many that claim to be four stars and they are not. A handicapped friendly hotel as well. I keep watching through the years the many changes, the achievements and high standards this hotel sets and I am impressed. Guests are treated like part of the family.

CHECK-IN: Efficient and swift. I arrived half an hour earlier but it was no trouble at all because I kept busy greeting friends and had the warmest of a welcome back.

STAFF/MANAGEMENT: A bunch of professionals, an unbeatable team. In fact the human side of this hotel is remarkable and makes the difference. A personalized service that you don’t need to be a repeater to feel it. You will come across guests kissing and hugging, exchanging little gifts they bring along from their homes for their friends –management and staff. I have heard and talked with people who have been back 17 to 20 times. If this is not remarkable, then what! Surely all these (40% repeaters some return twice a year) are not stupid. It is one of the few hotels that make me feel like returning home. A totally friendly atmosphere and if you really want to feel the warm touch of the Cypriot attention and hospitality (a commitment here) this is the right place to be. If the word-limit was not a problem I could go on and on.

LOCATION: I cannot think of a better one. Set on the outskirts of Protaras by a superb sandy cove away from noise disturbance, hustle & bustle and still so close to the centre. It is only a 15 minute pleasant walk to the Fig Tree Bay. Get by bus only for €1.50 to Protaras or Ayia Napa or anywhere in the district you wish. The reception staff will be more than helpful to give timetables.

ROOM: My #112 overlooked the stunning cove which is fabulous. I could not stop taking photos at intervals throughout the day because the view is exceedingly beautiful. The same scene has different reflections and colours as the day goes by and of course I would never miss the panoramic sunrise, where I would have the double glazed windows open and just sit and watch the sun rising from the sea. What a treat! It pays the little extras to have a sea view room.

The room was specious airy, bright, well equipped, spotless and fragrant. The management is lucky to have ladies like Nandia (Bulgarian) from the housekeeping. Energetic, hardworking and efficient. If you are lucky to meet her you will also have the same feeling. She would make my day with her good word and smile.

The bed was comfortable (single attached) and I had a good night sleep throughout the stay. Tea/Coffee facilities, a Mini bar & a Safe are provided upon request with very little actually. I use the mini bar only for cooling water but there is a water point in the corridor that provides this for free so you can get this any time. If I needed something I would call the room service. The price of everything is reasonable. I came across some reviews from people who make a fuss about these facilities. I believe as from the coming year though this problem will stop because everything will be included in the package. Be sure to check for the “Ultra All Inclusive” Pack.

I advise guests to let the management/reception staff know if something comes up instantly instead of waiting until they get home and write a negative comment. This can only break the spell of your holidays. The one and only concern of the people behind this hotel is to offer their guests the very best and memorable stay.

BREAKFAST: The first meal of the day that happens to be the most significant, is taken in the fully air conditioned restaurant or out on the beautiful terrace which overlooks the pool and gardens. The buffet breakfast opens at 07.15 – 10.00 and for a hotel in this category there is an unbelievable wide range of choice of anything you can think of. Different kinds of cereal, cheese, yoghurts, marmalades and jam, cakes and biscuits, breads and crackers, seasonal fruit, amazing grilled tomatoes, scrambled omelet/hard boiled eggs, ham and bacon, variety of sausages, juices, coffee or tea. I wonder what more could one want!

LUNCH/DINNER: There is the a la carte set menu but also the choice of buffet. I skip lunch myself, never had it but it starts at 13.00 to 15.30pm. The staff here is an unbeatable team, several have been working here for more than 20 years, and the service excellent. They know exactly what they have to do, professionals the majority of them and you will see them all around alert, taking orders and try their best to meet the demands of their guests. A very pleasant atmosphere in all.

No need to hurry thinking that something will finish. Instantly the platters are replaced and there is adequate quantity for all. Even if you come last and there are only one or two portions left, the cooks will instantly replace it for a new full one. You will be impressed as to how extremely friendly, attentive, hardworking and passionate the restaurant staff is! Leaving the premises for another restaurant is not the best idea because the menu which includes the soup of the day as well, changes daily and is based on a 2 week rotation. The food is great and the variety big. Local/Mediterranean cuisine, freshly cooked delicious dishes of high quality. Mr. Fotinakis the kitchen head chef and Mr. Varnava the 2nd chef (both are called Andrea) work miracles out there. The list of names is long but a Huge Bravo goes for ALL.

GARDENS/BEACH: Beautiful terraced lawns well looked after, totally free sun-loungers for all guests are so beautifully looked after that many 4* & 5* hotels would envy. The handy umbrellas/wooden shades need only to be turned around to get shade or sun. No need to move the bed, and at the base you can find a trash bin and several inches above, a small stand with a built-in ashtray and holders to place a drink, your book or anything.

The blue umbrellas below right on the sandy beach are under a fee which is collected from all the round beaches of Protaras and Ayia Napa. This money goes to the Municipality for the services they provide for clean coasts. Unfortunately several guests cannot afford this extra expense, carry their own towels from home and prefer to spend the day long out here right on the sand with no seat or shade instead of using the hotel’s loungers which are free. They seem comfortable though and this shows how eager they are for real beach holidays.

There is an option to hire towels to use around the beautiful pool and premises for only 1 Euro a week each piece. Many cannot comprehend this and they keep complaining because they never show the patience to listen and understand how this “clever system” functions. You can get as many towels as you wish and pay the deposit to the reception. You can keep the towels throughout the week with no extra payment and when you return them you get back your deposit in full. If you wish to get a clean one during the day, you take it to the pool attendant, pay 1 Euro and get a clean fresh one. (Laundry expenses) This simple thing many refuse to understand because they are negative from the beginning. These measures are taken so that guests won’t take towels home as well. They simply present the card, get their money back and that’s so simple.

BUDGET ROOMS: I find the idea of “Budget inland rooms” clever and I have heard that they are going to be introduced as from this coming year. Guests who book these rooms should know that the size/ facilities are exactly the same but the rooms face the entrance and the parking lot of the hotel, they are noisy because of the busy road or suppliers. These will be offered at lower cost and are ideal for those who intend to stay mostly outdoors and don’t mind noise.

ENTERTAINMENT: Varied and plenty of entertainment both for adults and young children. (Water polo and aerobics, tennis, darts and more). If you have kids this is the place to be. Magicians, fire dancers, karaoke, bingo, even belly dancers and of course one Cypriot Traditional Night every week. An interesting and very popular programe out here. Children can also keep busy at the Children’s game room and there is also a table tennis by the terrace and a children pool next to the adults’ pool by the Pool bar.

WI FI: Free on all public areas on the ground floor. However if you need a really fast, like home service, you have to consider a fee of €40.00 for a whole week which is not bad at all. You can then work from your room …not a bad idea at all if you consider that it costs you less than €6.00 daily.

Tip: Avoid taxis in general throughout your stay on the island. They are way too expensive and you cannot imagine what you can save if you use the public means of transport. All hotels usually recommend taxis which is convenient for them –just a phone call and the taxi is outside. Do it only if you are in a hurry and have no alternative. I always move around the island by public transport and find them reliable and very cheap. The “Osea” buses and the ‘Inter City’ are highly recommended especially to this destination. (Check the net links).

In all, I didn’t find the slightest flaw and once again I was sad to leave.

If you really seek to find a stunning location and if all the above cover your demands, if you want to join the (family)….well, this is the right place to be.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank greekcypriot2009

Dear greekcypriot2009
Many thanks for your fabulous review posted following your stay with us in October 2013.
It was a great pleasure to have you stay with us again and we thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our efforts. We are really very happy to realise that our efforts are appreciated by our guests. Putting things down correctly is highly appreciated. Indeed, everything you have described in your review about our hotel is absolutely correct and reflects the real quality of our standards and services.

On behalf of the team of the Cavo Maris Beach Hotel, we would like once again to thank you for putting things so right and wish you a nice Autumn/Winter season. We certainly look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Me and my family stayed at the Cavo Maris for 10 nights in September as a wedding package booked through Cosmos. Where do i start!!! Amazing hotel with very helpful staff, Very clean to the point of them being sat round the pool first thing with mini brushes scrubbing the tiles! Our flight didn't arrive until midnight and the all inclusive had finished but the hotel checked us in and gave us sandwiches to take up to our rooms which was nice. We had wine and flowers in the room on arrival as we were getting married there so it was a nice way to start the holiday. The first few days we just familiarized ourselves with the area and here are a few points to note:
Protaras is about a 20 minute walk but there is a bus stop over the road from the hotel which takes you straight there and is 2.50EUROS. If there is more than 3 of you then get a taxi as it is only 6EUROS so works out better for you. There is a mini market just over the road from the hotel so great for snacks and water for the room.
Now for the wedding package- Amazing service and attention to detail, the gazebo is tucked away from the pool and the beach so noise is kept to a minimum but you will obviously see people in bikinis (the hotel asks them to stay back for when the service is on so you have privacy and for when you have photos taken) but it is the best atmosphere ever!! Tima the Cosmos wedding rep was fantastic and helped us from beginning to end and also the Cavo Maris rep was just as brilliant.
One person who i have to mention is Sergio (the entertainer) who was there everyday from morning till night doing waterpolo, aqua aerobics, darts, table tennis, volleyball, evening entertainment and is a big asset to the hotel. He was brilliant with the kids and my 7 year old loved him!!! Another person who impressed us was the main chef who was brilliant with my son as he is a bit of a fussy eater, the chef would come and see him everyday and ask what he would like to eat and then go off and make it for him! Amazing service!!!!!
The beach at the back of the hotel is lovely and quiet and one thing i would recommend is a boat trip from there to see the island on a 3hr excursion.
Another thing to say about the hotel is that there are a lot of repeat guests who have been there for years and i can say i will be one of them as we had the perfect holiday and wedding and can't wait to go back :-)
THANKYOU EVERYONE AT THE CAVO MARIS!!!!!!! xxx

Room Tip: upgrade to at least a side sea view or a sea view as the standard rooms have a car park view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Katy R
Prcavo, Public Relations Manager at Cavo Maris Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Katy R,

Many thanks for your wonderful review following your stay with us in September 2013 for the occasion of your wedding.

- Amazing hotel
- very helpful staff
- very clean
- amazing service and attention to detail
- beach lovely and quiet

We go out of our way for our guests' comfort and our fully satisfied repeat guests of about 40%, proves that. We would be very happy to welcome you back again some time in the future (maybe for a wedding anniversary!) where you will join our Happy Repeaters family.

We are ever so pleased that you enjoyed your wedding and we hope we have given you fond memories of your special day here. It was our pleasure helping to organise such an event and we thank you for choosing our hotel.

On behalf of the team of the Cavo Maris Beach Hotel, we would like once again to thank you for taking the time to put things so right and wish you a nice Autumn/Winter season. We certainly look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

One day left of a 1 week hol. This hotel has everything for a relaxing holiday. Food great, staff very pleasent and sincere with it, spotlessly clean and very well run. This for me is a high end 3 star and a nice walk to town. Have stayed in 4 star (paphos) and 5 star (limassol) previously, which one would I come back to ??? Cavo Maris every time.......

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Leesfamily100
Prcavo, Public Relations Manager at Cavo Maris Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Leesfamily100,

Many thanks for your excellent review following your stay with us in October 2013.

We noted your kind comments:
- everything for a relaxing holiday
- food great
- staff very pleasant and sincere
- spotlessly clean
- well run
- high end 3 star

We go out of our way for our clients comfort and our fully satisfied repeat guests of about 40%, proves that. We will look forward to welcoming you back again where you will join our growing Repeaters family.

Please note that our hotel is widely accepted (by our guests and our co-operators), as one of the best 3* hotels, comparing favourably with many 4* hotels. A lot of our guests are pleasantly surprised and are asking us, wondering why our hotel is only a 3 star hotel. We are greatly pleased and honoured that you regard us as more than a 3 star. As a matter of fact our hotel fulfils all the specifications of a 4 star hotel and compares favourably with many of them.

On behalf of the team of the Cavo Maris Beach Hotel, we would like once again to thank you for putting things so right and wish you a nice Autumn/Winter season. We certainly look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel on some future occasion.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This holiday was brill, hotel and staff great. Staff really friendly, we have been 17 times to this hotel, more greek/cypriot staff this year. Good idea!!!! Only down side, lots of small children around. Food really good, hotel clean and lots of improvements to be seen each year.

Room Tip: Inland view rooms get sun late afternoon but can sometime hear the noise from coaches etc arriving/l...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank elaine o

Dear elaine o,

Many thanks for your excellent review following your recent stay with us.

We noted your kind comments:
- holiday was brill
- hotel and staff great
- staff really friendly
- been 17 times
- more greek/cypriot staff this year, good idea
- food really good
- hotel clean
- lots of improvements

We are constantly thinking of and making improvements so that each season our guests can have a more care-free and relaxing holiday. We take into serious consideration our guests constructive suggestions for improvements and adjust our plans accordingly. A lot of our improvements are based on guests’ requirements.

Thank you again for the taking the time to acknowledge our efforts. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again next year for your 18th visit. In the meantime we wish you a good Autumn/Winter.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel 18-29 September. We were a bit apprehensive about going to Cyprus because of the large influx of Russians - who we have come across before in Greece and found them to be most rude especially to the staff. Fortunately they were no problem here it was the English who were a bit of a pain!!!

The hotel is really comfortable but could do with a refurb some things are a bit dated. They still use an old fashioned key for the door and a key for the safe (I don't think it is a good idea to put the room number on the safe key!). The room was big enough with a great size balcony and a side sea view. The view was good - you didn't have to crane your neck around the balcony to see the sea! The air-con is really great - in fact we had to turn it down!

There is a fridge in the room but you need a key for it and it cost €2 per day for the fridge, pool towel and safe which you would have thought came free with the all-inclusive package, but never mind we like a drink in the room and a cup of tea in the morning so paid the price.

There is no getting up at stupid-o-clock to reserve a sunbed, they are in abundance here - around the pool and on three levels going down to the beach. There is a load of room and the umbrellas are really great you can turn them around to get shade/sun without having to hump the bloody beds about and they have a built-in ashtray on the table, holders for glasses/bottles and rubbish bins attached.

There is a lovely little cove where you can get two sunbeds and an umbrella for €7.50. The sea is lovely and crystal clear. We did not use the beach though because there were too many toddlers and babies screaming their heads off! We just walked down from the hotel to have a swim. We did get a boat trip from the beach €12 for a 3 hour trip just long enough for a couple of swims. We did not go on any more trips or hire a car as we have been to Cyprus a couple of times before and toured all over, including a visit to Northern Cyprus, Kyrenia and Famagusta - that is well worth a visit.

The staff at the hotel are really great, very friendly Evi and Lucy in the bar were really good and very friendly and Alexandros in the restaurant (who also worked in the bar) was great. Ask him what your room number is - lol! Also Panis at the pool bar must get a mention.

The food was good you could always find something to eat and plenty of it, if you got there late you were not left with all the dregs, they replenished it all the time. It did get a bit repetitive but I find all hotels are the same in this respect.

The only downside to this hotel are some silly rules and regulations concerning the all-inclusive package, i.e. you could get a coffee or cappucino on the all-in but not an expresso!!! why? You could have a milkshake but not a frappe coffee - again why? Also you could not eat in the snack bar on the all-in, you had to go into the restaurant. If you wanted to eat in the snack bar you had to pay for it including the drinks!

Apart from these niggles, it was a good holiday made better by the lovely staff.

P.S. this hotel is just outside Protaras and it is a 15-25 minute walk depending on how fast/slow you walk. Lots of bars and restaurants in Protaras, prefer it to Ayia Napa it is more compact.

Room Tip: It is worth paying for a sea view/side sea view as the rooms at the back of the hotel are not exactl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carmen045
Prcavo, Public Relations Manager at Cavo Maris Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Carmen045,

Many thanks for your very nice review following your stay with us in September 2013.

We noted with pleasure your comments:
- hotel really comfortable
- room big enough with big balcony
- air con is really great
- sunbeds in abundance and umbrellas really great
- sea is lovely and crystal clear
- staff are really great, very friendly
- food was good

We noted your comment that “some things are a bit dated”. Our primary aim is to always serve our guests as best we can, taking into consideration their needs. We are constantly thinking of improvements we can make so that each season our guests can have a more care-free and relaxing holiday. Guests' constructive suggestions are also very carefully noted and a lot of our improvements are based on their requirements. We do target more to our guests needs rather than to their “eyes".

As for changing our key system with a new card operating electronic system, this is within our immediate plans for 2014.

We consider your remark regarding the Room Number on the Safe key a very valid point. It has given us the idea to replace the Room Number with a code, known only to the Management. Allow us to thank you very much indeed for your remark.

We do not have fridge facilities in our hotel rooms. Refrigerators are available in self-catering accommodation. We (like all hotels in Cyprus, the U.K, and internationally) have a Minibar service. In our hotel, it is offered free and you don’t pay any rent for it. There is only an obligation to consume and pay about 1 drink per room per day, not per person (i.e. to be shared among all the occupants of the room, which in your case was 1 drink per day to be shared by 4 persons). This is the only condition (a minimum consumption of € 3.00 daily). Then you can use the Minibar anyway you wish and put anything you want in it. So we believe there is a misunderstanding in this matter:
1. What is a fridge and what is a Minibar and
2. What is a rental charge and what is an obligation of a very small minimum consumption.

Indeed there is an option to hire towels to use around the pool and it costs only 1 (one) Euro for a week.

Tea and coffee making facilities are offered at a really low price. A kettle is rented for €7 per week (ie. €1 per day). The average price for one (1) coffee in hotels and cafes is usually over €3.

The minibar, the safe, the tea/coffee making facilities and the beach towels do not consist as standard facilities for a hotel of our classification. They are offered as “Optional Facilities” at very low terms in order to satisfy guests who request them. Allow us however at first to advise you (and maybe it will be interesting for you to know) that the minibar, safe, tea/coffee making facilities and beach towels (together with many other facilities), as from the Summer Season 2014, will be standard facilities in all our rooms without any extra charge.

Our meals are based on a 14 day rotation with different dishes, except breakfast that may look a bit repetitive (simply because it almost contains everything). In this respect we wish to assure you that we try very hard not to be “the same as all hotels”.

Our All Inclusive system has been developed (in association with our cooperating Travel Operators), through the years with the aim of offering the maximum satisfaction to all of our guests at a very attractive price. The few restrictions imposed on the All Inclusive for the sake of the guests' best and efficient service. There is always a good reason for a very limited number of items that are excluded. Based on experience from the past, they were removed for their time consuming preparation (causing delays) or based on space and equipment capacity etc. Also our All Inclusive system includes only locally produced drinks (for better price reasons).

Please be advised however that as from 2014 we are planning the introduction of an "Ultra All Inclusive" Pack with a much wider selection of eating and drinking places and items and where the described restrictions will not apply.

Espresso Coffee is a beverage made from imported supplies which are excluded and clearly mentioned.

Labour intensive items such as frappe coffee (“shaken individually at guests preferences with little sugar, no sugar, a lot of sugar, milk only, no milk, 50%-50% water and milk, skimmed milk, normal milk, a lot of ice, no ice” etc. are excluded for obvious reasons.

Meals in the A la Carte Pool Snack Restaurant are not included in our All-Inclusive program due to its capacity ie. you cannot offer 200 (the average number of our All Inclusive guests) meals in a restaurant with a capacity of less than 100 seats and a kitchen, offering only snacks and BBQ food prepared last minute upon order with limited space and equipment, HOWEVER DRINKS DEFINITELY ARE INCLUDED there.

Indeed our inland view rooms, although exactly the same in size and facilities with all other (side sea view and sea view) rooms of the hotel, they do not have the best view and at times they are noisy, as they are facing the entrance and the parking of the hotel, with cars, buses taxis, suppliers etc. passing by. This is really why they are offered at lower prices.
The Cavo Maris Beach hotel is owned by 3 displaced (refugee) hoteliers (2 from Kyrenia and 1 from Famagusta). Their hotels (homes and properties) were stolen and they themselves were thrown out by invaders of a neighbouring powerful country. Definitely, both Kyrenia and Famagusta were among the most beautiful towns in the Mediterranean and certainly even today we agree that they are well worth a visit. Referring to our homeland as “Northern Cyprus” is very depressing and heartbreaking for us. The terminology, “Northern Cyprus” has never existed and was invented by the invaders to show a different country. The tiny Cyprus Republic is however still accepted internationally as one country and as such has joined the European Union. A small island should not be referred to as “North” and “South” as if it is America or Korea.

We are very glad that you had a "good holiday made better by the lovely staff". We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again some time in the future.