“Loved Golden Coast” 5 of 5 bubbles

“Loved Golden Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

Golden Coast Hotel.
Date: 12/11/08
It was the 1st time that our family had been to Cyprus and we all enjoyed it, there were 24 family/friends that went over, for Stu and I got married on the 15/10/08. Our wedding co-ordinater Joanne from Oylimpic holidays/weddings was brilliant, we could'nt fault anything. Marie who was the manageress from the hotel on the catering side was brilliant aswell, it could'nt of gone any smoother. The hotel was lovely and all the staff were very helpfull. We can not fault anything about the hotel/staff. Our 10yr old daughter enjoyed herself with the pools and the beach being so close and swimming in the sea. The sea was that clear u could see the rocks at the bottom. The time we went it was just nice, not too busy and the weather was lovely nice & hot.. We would reccomend people to go were we went, and we would go back their......We all enjoyed ourselves.. The photographer & the chap who done the dvd of the wedding, were brill and very helpfull with me dress on the rocks... (We stayed for 2wks and sme family/friends for 1wk).. We can go on about the hotel/staff but all good...

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank ourwedding

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
WORCESTER PARK. SURREY.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2008

Well I have read some reviews which I think give a bad impression of Golden Coast suggest you read MISTREY review 21/10/08 .We were lucky to have met them and watched their wedding from a distance.Her opinion I found very accurate but just to add a few of mine .A piece of plaster fell from around the patio door this was repaired within ! hour and repainted within the day .Broken light/fused repaired within 1 hour .The staff were very helpfull and friendly .Overall a very relaxing holiday if you want Loud entertainment this is not for you I believe the entertainment team had wound down due to back of season I think they have visiting acts during season Thomas Cook Rep non existant not really bothered booked a trip part way around the Island long day dont book meal on the coach as it is precooked before you get there and left in the open FLIES we noticed that the Tour guide and driver had a better MEZE than us and was cooked fresh Did we have a good time YES Recommend YES ....

• Liked — Location excellent spacious grounds leading to beach harbour views
  • Disliked — Evening entertainment/end of season Thomas Cook rep???
Cumbria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2008

Hotel meals are of a very, very poor standard and variety and often served cold. Left overs from a dinnertime are recycled for evening meals. School dinners were better than this.

All inclusive facilities - very poor - no toasties, snacks, crisps, peanuts etc. Even tried to charge for ice cream for children even though we were informed that Ice cream is part of all inclusive.

Drinks - local alcoholic drinks are very sub standard and not typical local brews. If you bought a cup of coffee, this tasted different to an "all inclusive" cup of coffee.

Annimation team - Typical childrens club and disco - Evening entertainment for Adults - did not exist.

Hotel cleanliness - place seemed fairly clean, but certailnly not 4.5* cleanliness - try 3* at a push

Would not recommend this hotel to people with push chairs or even the elderly and disabled as there are no ramps - just steps.

Would hate to see this place in the summer as I doubt there would be enough sun beds to go round.

Swimming Pools - Outside not big enough - especially when hotel is fully booked in summer. Inside pool - again small and both did not look very clean

If you booked Full Board basis, €25 per person per day to upgrade to All inclusive to be treat as a second class citizen.

Overall - This Hotel is very over rated and expensive for what you get and would be wise to look elsewhwere. Certainly not a 4.5* all inclusive resort or even full board.

Will I be back - I think not !

As for Golden - that is only the sun tans - not the hotel

• Liked — The front door - When you left it closed behind you like a chapter in a book
1 Thank Notherner
Belfast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2008

my goodness, where do I start.......our tour operator has the hotel advertised as a 4.5* hotel.....nowhere near....just about a 3*. We arrived early on Sat 25th Oct and we were generally happy with the overall look of the hotel & our room...those were the only positives, it all went downhill from here! Even though we arrived in high season, it was the last week & the hotel practically shut down around us, we felt we were in the way most of the time, never once were we made to feel like special guests. The staff were rude, the food was so unbelieveably terrible (we heard that the chef had left the previous week), that out of a 6 night all inclusive break, we had to pay €10 each way for a trip to Protaros plus the cost of 3 nights dinner & entertainment - we paid for an all inclusive break & were bitterly disappointed & ended up spending so much money on eating out. All inclusive was in fact not all inclusive at all...the only snack that was available thoughout the day was a soggy pre-made sandwich that no doubt that had been laying there for a few days & was made out of left over food from the buffet dinner that no-one had the stomach to eat. No crisps, no light snacks...they were even charging €3 per scoop for icecream (which was a very basic tub of unbranded icecream) ...when we complained to the catering manager he told us it was free...yet they were still charging people by the end of the week....the general attitude of the staff was "its not my problem" & would you hurry up & leave......I had read the reports on this site before I came & was very optimiostic.....but am so disappointed & am now logging a complaint with our tour operator as the holiday was very mis sold to us. Having spoken to many other people at the hotel, I'm sure my bad report won't be the last....when we logged the complaint with our tour rep she actually had ran out of complaint forms there were so many!! Anyway, this was our first trip to Cyprus & will certainly be our last.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — Nearly everything!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank weedeeBelfast
fife
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2008

We have just returned from The Golden Coast where we also got married.
The hotel itself was great for the wedding and Maria and also the reception staff could not be more helpful, the only thing that let us down was First Choice.
For anyone who is planning a wedding here I would be more than happy to help give you some guidence as if you listen to First Choice you will be ripped off. I have contacts for Hair, Make up and Dvd's and photos.
The hotel itself was good. Plenty sun beds every day for the guests and no we did not have to be up early to get one.
The food was ok, always something to eat although it was repeated many times.
The rooms were clean and tidy and our maid was always helpful. The hotel gaves us champagne and flowers for our wedding along with breakfast in bed and a candle lit dinner for 2.
The entertainment was good if you joined in. Oki and the rest of the team helped make our holiday - yes Oki you are the star of the golden coast!!
Our only sad part was watching a man on the beach killing a poor defensless octopus on the rocks - not a nice sight.
I would recommend this hotel. If you wish to go into Protaros then the bus is out side the hotel and only takes 10 mins to get there.
As I said anyone wishing to contact me regarding weddings can do so on fiona001@supanet.com

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2008

I can't believe some of the reviews this hotel has got. It is amazing.

When you pull up outside the hotel, I must admit it looks like a run of the mill resort hotel, but when you walk through the doors into the marble reception area it is fantastic. The rooms are large and extremely clean, the maids are fantastic.

We had a problem with the air condititoning in our room and so they upgraded us to a sea view room, which overlooked the bay that the hotel is situated on. The bay is stunning, the water is shallow for the most part and you can go out for about 200 ft and still stand up in some area. The bay is the perfect place to laze on a lilo or snorkel and see the beauitful fish.

The hotel has got 3 pools, 1 indoor heated (although people had to ask for the heating to be turned on, but once it was I've had cooler baths!) 1 baby pool, be carefull can be slippery, and 1 normal pool which was quite large and not too cold even though it was the end of October.

I'm always wary about putting what the food is like in hotels, as I think it's all a matter of personal preferences, but even though we had fussy eaters in our group, everyone liked the food. Yes it was on a weekly rotation, but for goodness sake, often I cook spaghetti twice in one week at home! There were about 6 different choices for main courses, a different soup every night and the desserts were gorgeous! On top of this there was salad, cheeses, breads, crackers and plenty of fresh fruit. Breakfast and luch were equally as good. Although the milk is more like condensed milk than what we are used to. There were also snacks at the poolside bar every day.

We were all inclusive and found that the bar staff and waiting staff were very helpful, we always got served quickly, and in fact as we both got married there and celebrated my birthday the day before they kept sending over trays of shots for us and also gave us bottles of champagne to celebrate with. There was no limit on the amount of drinks you could get in one order.

As we got married in the grounds we were given a bottle of champagne in our room on arrival along with fresh fruit. We got a free champagne breakfast in bed the day after our wedding and also a candlelit dinner for two. The al a carte steak is amazing! The hotel also sent flowers up to our room twice to say congratulations, hung my wedding dress up away from my room to get the creases out and gave us a wedding present!

The grounds of the hotel are great, although mostly taken up with the pools, wedding gazebo, and terraces. It was pretty and floral everywhere.

The fact that they supply all towels, both for the beach and different ones for the rooms is a real bonus, no lugging towels across they world!

I can't give this hotel a big enough review, when my mum arrived a week after us, First Choice had messed up her reservation and although as per the brochure, she was meant to get a free upgrade from B+B only to HB, they denied all knowledge of it. Despite showing them the booking reservation and the brochure where it said it. The assistant manager came out, spoke to FC himself, faxed them all the brochures and booking form, and then told my mum that until it was sorted, everything was on him!! Now that's service! Eventually 3 days later FC apologising profoundly and up graded her to all inclusive!

The evening entertainment for the children was on quite late at 9:00pm and yes it was the same disco every night for the kids, but they loved it!! And hearing the Birdie Song in a different language never failed to amuse (it sounds a bit rude!). On my wedding day I got up there with the kids and had a great dance! There were themed evening every day though after the kids disco, and they were quite enjoyable, although admittedly not the best. The animation team did their best and I thought they were great.

The only problem with the hotel is that is is set on quite a steep slope and there are steps to the beach, so if you have trouble with stairs or slopes this may not be the place for you.

• Liked — The location, right on a small by area
  • Disliked — Nothing!
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bournemouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2008

We stayed here for a week. The hotel didnt appear to have a manager walking around and staff were unhelpful and bored. The all inclusive is only until 11pm and then you have to pay for your drinks! the mini bar is also not free and bar staff serving you look miserable and obviosuly hate their jobs. I asked for a Baileys and even though they had it they reached behing the counter and gave me a drink that was a cheaper version. Withing 10 mins i had diorreah..thanks! I also asked for a Mailbu another time and was given a disgusting coconut tasting drink that was nothing like Malibu. the only beer they had was Stella and that was watered down.

If you wanted a drink after breakfast the bar didnt open til 10am so even when there was a guy there at 9.30am he wouldnt give us a bottle of water.

We went for a swim in the indoor pool and when it got dark they didnt bother to turn the lights on.

The whole hotel seems uncared for and its such a shame as its a beautiful location and the ground are so pretty.

The maid tried to hide my shoes behind the curtains one day, obviosuly to try to steal them at a later date.

The food is nothing like on the trailers they show on the tvs and there was only 1 bar ever open in the evening, There were no cushions on the outdoor chairs.

There were a couple of weddings and the wedding party were just sat with hotel guests in the evening, they werent given a seperate place to have a private do.

I wouldnt recommend this hotel really, its out the way and ok for relaxing but too many nigglying things happened whilst we were there.

Stayed October 2008