“Lovely holiday” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #64 of 66 Hotels in Protaras
newcastle
“Lovely holiday”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

My and my boyfriend stayed here 31st August - 14th September 2013, both of us aged 21 and were half board. We booked with jet2 holidays. Firstly we got a bit worried when we were the only 2 that got on our transfer bus at this hotel but, too late to change anything now! Anyway, got to our room, that was fine, very basic but that didn't bother us. Free air con, but you have to pay for the safe, the fridge and also the tv remote (we didn't bother with this) but I advise you to get the key for the fridge. We went down for breakfast at 8.30, breakfast was ok! Cereal, fruit and all the typical full English kinda food. Everything tasted fine, but we did get sick of having beans on toast and sausage bacon and egg every morning for 14days! The large pool area was lovely BUT there was no one there. No race to get your sunbed so you never had to get up early. The hotel was 'full' apparently, and from what we seen when in was tea time we thought it was too but where was everyone through the day? One day we counted and there was maximum of 9-10 families or couples around the pool and that was it.
After a few days we decided to spend time around the smaller pool and even there there was around 4 families.
I would say 90% of guests staying here were Russian or foreign, which I didn't have a problem with but there were hardly any English folk.

Dinner time was from around 6.45 to 9 or 10, I think the food was the only part that I wasn't keen on. I'm not fussy but I don't eat fish. They have themed nights so Italian, Cypriot, oriental etc. And they were all the weirdest mixture. There's always chips and rice!! Which is what I survived on.

Entertainment was rubbish, same thing every night. Mini disco, adult disco and again, everyone just seemed to scatter!
We like a bit of nightlife, but not as lively as ayia napa. So most nights we'd walk along to the pernera side, walk up the hotel drive and turn right, walk along there for 5-10minutes and there's a Few bars and restaurants. We would tend to go to Windmills, knights pub was great for food.
Nearer the hotel there's fools and horses bar and a western bar, opposite is Mojitos which is lush for food but the service was pretty rubbish.
Also a few nights we'd get the bus along into protaras where it's a bit more lively again. Along in protaras is a restaurant called Olympus (right at the very end) it's gorgeous there!

We hired a little buggy for one day, and that was the best day we had, so much fun. 40€ per day or 100€ for 4 days.

Cleaners were in the room every day and tend to change the towels and sheets every other day.

Overall we did have a lovely holiday, just a little bit too quiet for me.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a pool view, we just chose mountain view (there are no mountains near the ho...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank staciie_08

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
St. Petersburg, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Cyprus is a lovely place .. I love this wonderful country)
We went from a company Biblioglobus) All organizational issues were on the level.
The hotel have about 90% Russian tourists. The rooms were cleaned and very important there was good sound insulation!
Food in the restaurant was very tasty. For breakfast & dinner there was everything!
This is the most delicious waffles. thanks to the chef' !!Kitchen Mafia)))He works wonders!!))
At the reception was very friendly staff that tries to speak in Russian)). The restaurant and bar were great waiters.
6days a week we had the animation. Animator Lasslo, very friendly boy, had a program for all day ) Brazilian charm leaves no one indifferent) He can find an approach to different categories of people, from families with children to the noisy companies. He is working at 100% and is attentive to every hotel guest) The morning started with aqua aerobics and evening programs was for all tastes .. bachata and salsa, karaoke, bingo and much more .. Once we saw the show) for kids was a mini disco…. standard program for all Tsokkos..
there is a great Protaras seafront near to the hotel. Also near a bus stop .. if you want entertainment, the 101/102 bus will take you to the center of Protaras or Ayia Napa)
In this hotel I feel like at home)) I will definitely come back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ksusik
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have stayed at the Polycarpia for the past 3 years and really enjoy our holidays there. The Polycarpia offers great value for money, the food gets better every year the staff are very freindly and extremely helpful especially Martie and Sotius, the hotel manager was always available to chat too and to take care of our requests.Car't wait to go back in September really looking forward to it.

4 Thank TonyGillard
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Good day) so we returned from our long-awaited vacation. Sorry, very quickly flew our 10 days.With company rested on Cyprus the first time .Don't know..I liked everything..I Want to go back there.We arrived at Paphos airport, quickly seated in bus and on the way we admired local landscapes .in the hotel we were already somewhere two hours of the day and immediately ran to swim in pool.People were really not somuch.Overall impression about the hotel and the rooms not too bad. We are not picky, because we have come to rest and not sit in a room.Room we had Hairdryer. The only thing that surprised - this is a safe, refrigerator and the TV remote) a Couple of days we got used to our hotel, because compared with Greece ,where everything is very green . Greenery on the territory is not enough. Russians very much, that we asked what were their impressions and all were positive.Fed a great success, all very tasty , for dinner, a huge variety of meat , salads and sweet desserts! went on two excursions on the night of Dionysus and the Grand tour cuprys.i advice to visit, not regret it, and will remain a sea of positive emotions and impressions from this warm and friendly country.every day attended the cocktail competitions where we were almost everywhere winners.The British play do not like , lit some russian.thank you big our animator .cheerful and crazy))Dances and sings well,we all became friends and had a great time! parted with a sad heart.
We invited Laszlo to the us to Russia. Will wait)))
i Back at work , I sit and I am freezing, 10 days accustomed to the sun .

1 Thank 0205Xenia1992
Kingston upon Hull
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel is nice for a family holiday. There is no rat race for a sun bed, as the pool area when we were there was mostly empty which was nice, the kids can play in the pool without disturbing other people. The food is excellent and plenty to choose from and they have a themed dining menu each night. The staff are very friendly. The hotel rooms themselves could probably do with a bit of decoration and re-furb, however your not on holiday to stay in your room all day so they are adequate. The gym wasn't in working order when we were there 7th to 17th August 2013 as they were, we were told doing it up. It is close to the beach and there is a nice street to walk around. Its about 20 minutes walk to the main street in Protaras which you can walk either on the main road or on the beach walk way which is very nice. The entertainment is not too great, Lazzlo the Animator, as he is known does a great job to entertain people with very limited resources, he was a great guy.

Room Tip: We booked a twin room with a mountain view, however we had an all round view of both mountains and t...
3 Thank Christine H
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

hotel manager and all the staff at polycarpia hotel were very nice and welcoming,excellent choice of food(fully inclusive) very good location for beach and local shops,good value for your money. rooms need updating but clean.i would come back on my next trip to cyprus.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank john b
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Don't listen to the bad reviews They almost got me scared, but this hotel is great! I loved the bar, and the food. The staff was really nice, and helpful. The best one was the animator, Laszlo !! He is the funniest, and nicest guy in the world. He made me feel really welcome there, and made my holiday absolutely special. I've been to many hotels, and I've seen many animators, but none of the even gets close to him!!! He could speak almost any language, that you can think of, but the best part is, that he makes every conversation funny. I didn't even think about problems from back home, I forgot it all, and that's what I call a great relaxation. I hope his boss treats him well, he deserves it!!! If there was an award for the best animator, staff, and hotel, I would definitely vote for them :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo