“STINKY, UN-HYGEINIC, UNWELCOMING...”

Ranked #54 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Melbourne, Australia
“STINKY, UN-HYGEINIC, UNWELCOMING...”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We had just come from an exciting hotel in Ayia Napa in Cyrpus - And we were even more excited to spend our last days of our trip at Vangelis Hotel in Protara. We walked in, without being greeted or helped with our bags in the extreme 45 degree heat. We were finally assisted with our reservation, and made our way to our rooms. The halls were extremely stuffy, smelly, and felt as though i was in a mental institution. Furthermore, walking into our "luxury" room was even more of a suprise; It smelt of dust, sweat and dirty bathroom. My friend had back pains from the hard solid beds. There was no beautiful view from the sea - Just views of the shops, my friends and I were extremely disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank georgia c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The rooms are clean and basic - dated and tired they could do with an overhaul but when you come somewhere like Protaras it's a place to sleep and shower! If you want better standards then you have to pay more.
Found the reception staff to be frosty and unfriendly but rarely had the need to speak to them.
We booked a non sea view studio but seemed to be in an apartment with separate bedroom overlooking the strip and sea - no mention of an upgrade when we checked in but then it turned out it wasnt - as these rooms are over a bar that is open until 2-3am everynight and is really noisey. We couldnt be bothered to complain as we were out late ourselves a fair bit anyway but be aware that if you get block A certain rooms are going to be hit by the noise of the strip.
The resot itself is fantastic so much to do and great beaches as well. Fig Tree Bay is beautiful. At night there is loads of places for cocktails and food - all with varying price ranges and quality but as with the hotel you get what you pay for - go cheap, get poor quality.

Room Tip: Ask to be in block D if you want quiet rooms - booking non seaview (which these are) does not seem t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

just got back from Cyprus were we stayed at the Vangelis for a week, , staff are very nice and very friendly, the room was clean and not a bad size with separate bedroom, food was ok not a bad choice not the best we have had a lot better and paid less , it was not always hot even with alice trying her best to keep it coming, once it was put out it seemed to go cold quick, the entertainment was not good only twice did they have a act on in the evening lucky enough it was close to the bars were they had act's every night , it was close to the protaras main street so you had something to do in the evening , but worse of all and will stop me going back was the Russians !!!!!!! the hotel had about 80% of the most ignorant arrogant with not one of them with manners I have never met such a people with no basic manners like that before ! some of the british complained about them but it fell on deaf ears we found out that they were treated as first and us second !! no please no thankyou nothing I would advise any brit thinking of going there please think twice none of the ones I spoke to will be going back even if they were offerd a 50% discount, it was a shame really as we had a stunning time in Cyprus the weather was brilliant I cannot recommend the big red bus trip and the pirate ship black pearl enough they were stunning days out if I do go back to Cyprus I will be going on them again ! but never back to the vangelis , one last thing the rep Nicola was the best we have had so far she is a cracking girl with a genuine love for the job she does and before I forget if you do go on the big red bus to Famagusta take some british money if you have some as you go on the Turkish side and you will get more for it than euro's , 1 pound was a third more in lira than 1 euro

Room Tip: ask for a room in c block its about the quietist
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank andyandflicwales
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We are a family of 4, with 2 children 16 & 8 and paid nearly £4000 for an all inclusive stay. We booked with Thomas Cook and they arranged private taxi transfer. We were greeted at the airport with cold water and got to the hotel about an hour before everyone else and it was £30 cheeper. We got to the hotel about 9pm and the staff kept the restaurant open so we could grab something to eat.

Our room was in block A and was absolutely massive. We went straight upstairs to unpack and then I lay there for hours trying to get to sleep. BOOM BOOM BOOM till 2pm. Went down to ask what time the bars were likely to stop the music and was told that they would be finishing at 2pm as it was a Sunday. OMG what about the rest of the week???? The next day I asked to be moved, which cost us an additional £10 Euros a night for a pool view (Block D). Oh and the ants were crawling all over my kids when we woke up.

Block D was a smaller apartment but was much much quieter and no ants! The only problem we had was that a family of italians were next door and they slept all afternoon and were wide awake till the early hours of the morning and were very loud, with kids running around the corridors. The rooms were cleaned every other day and the towels were also changed if left in the bath. We started the holiday with white fluffy towels and within 2 days they had all changed to thread bare green stained ones...WHY?????

The pool was beautiful and cleaned every other day. The first week we could walk down at 10am and get a sun bed easily. The second week loads of English came and there seemed to be a panic about claiming sun beds. I woke up at 7am and saw that most of the beds had towels across them.

The entertainment was very poor, so most nights we went onto the strip which was fantastic. We met the blue bros, Rhianna and MJ. All great tribute artists. The hotel entertainment in the day consisted of water polo for the men, water aerobics for the women, killer darts and pool comps. You were not encouraged to partake. The evening entertainment was one full house of bingo, which lasted nearly 2 hours because of all the languages he had to get through. Although we could all see the number on display???? There was a magician and a break dance act. There were no other acts throughout the fortnight. The drinks were disgusting unless you paid for them.

Personally I thought the food was great. There was loads of things to try and a kids menu every sitting. I must have put on a stone in weight :-). Unfortunately out of our family I was the only one who enjoyed it. My husband eat out every night and my kids filled themselves up with the day time menus. The Russians were rude and TRIED to push in front of me on several occasions, this also happens at the bar.

All the staff were pleasant and helpful, apart from the small bald man in the restaurant.

The Vangelis hotel is ideally situated in the middle of the strip. The bars and restaurants are all around and the beach is just a short walk across the road and down an alley way.

The day trips were great. The pirate ship is a must and is worth every penny. The water park is good. Went over the border in Nicosia but wish we hadn't. We all got sun stroke and the people were horrible. They kept touching my 8 year old girls hair. Went to the bank for some Turkish money but feared for our life! Couldn't get back quick enough.

The reason I said not to go all inclusive is because there is no reason to stay in this hotel apart from sleeping and from using the pool. The food, drinks and entertainment was not value for money. I would rate this hotel as 2 star only. This has been the third time to Protaras and unfortunately it will be our last time.

Room Tip: Ask the travel agents to ensure you have a pool view. This will ensure you will be placed on the qui...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Nina900

Travellers are raving about these Protaras hotels

Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Hotels bad review

This hotel is rubbish the rooms are small and do not have enough room we didn't have any wardrobe space and had to keep our clothes in our suitcase for 2 weeks!!! In our hotel room we would come back every day to change and off a night when we had been out to eat and we would have large trails of ants walking around over the beds and kitchen area and they didn't do nothing about this!!! Everyone brings pop around the pool but your not allowed to drink it! Of a lunch time we had a sandwich and were not allowed to eat as they would see us eat&drink then they would walk round by us to see if we were eating and drinking and they would go back to the restaurant and bring another member of staff out with a piece of paper saying dear guests no food and drinks are allowed around the pool and show us!! But they don't complain to other people eating and drinking round the pool because there eating from their restaurant and getting drinks from their bar but because we are buying our food from somewhere else they do not like it!! I would not recommend this hotel!!!!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kayleigh L
Limassol, Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have just returned from our stay in Vangelis Hotel Apts. The location of the hotel is perfect you will not need a car. All around it are shops, restaurants, beaches e.t.c. But the hotel is a standard hotel. Very very poor!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Christiana Y
Co Durham
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel after staying there at least 6 times in the past, I have always had a great time and always complimented the hotel on their service. I had a bad holiday in 2012 in Cyprus at another hotel and so booked early at a hotel I thought I knew I could depend on.

I booked my 2014 holiday in June 2013 in order to make sure I got the Vangelis - I booked up All Inclusive and upgraded all my flight seats and started to really look forward to my holiday which I paid over £3.5k for.

I started to see the negative reviews on Tripadvisor about the hotel, and it got from bad to worse, initially I thought "not everyone's tastes are the same" and I had read bad reviews in the past about the hotel and thought they were unjustified. However the recent reviews made me extremely worried especially as the cultural differences in behaviour between nationalities left my excitement about the holiday diminished.

I actually emailed the hotel and explained I had booked up and had concerns about the reviews I had read and asked them if they were aware of the reviews and could they shed some light on the fact it had been reported to be a predominately Russian hotel, I am still waiting for a response from them and I have sent 2 emails, I must add usually they email me straight back and I have had email conversations with this hotel for a number of years. I got so concerned when I read about the entertainment being predominately based on Russian guests that I actually telephoned the hotel and asked was this correct, the reception informed me that the bingo was called in British and Russian and that they had both English guests and Russian guests. I have still had no response from the hotels reservations team.

I was so disturbed at their lack of interest in my concern I have paid £200 to Thomas Cook to have my accommodation changed to another hotel - I feel extremely let down by Aqua Sol hotels and the Vangelis Team whom in the past I have complimented to a high level.

I recently spoke to a friend living in Cyprus who reported that Protaras was heavily visited by Russians and also read other views of other hotels I have visited since the 80's in Cyprus and I will say one thing.

Cyprus has heavily relied on British Tourists to boost their tourism, they have asked over the years for Brits not to frequent and holiday in the Turkish occupied section of Cyprus, as this would heavily effect their tourism however it appears they have sold us down the river to Russian tourists who will no doubt have a short lived loyalty to the island of Cyprus, I just wonder whether Aqua Sol hotels and in particular the Vangelis will show more interest in repeat custom from its British guests when the bookings from their Russian guests stop?

Disappointing to say the least the service I have received from the hotel even before my arrival.

• Stayed June 2013