Papantonia Hotel Apartments
US$102
Hotels.com
US$152
US$119
Flokkas Hotel Apts.(Protaras)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$89
US$260
  • Breakfast included
Cavo Maris Beach Hotel(Protaras)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$99
  • Pool
Golden Coast Beach Hotel(Protaras)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$108
US$43
  • Pool
Amore Hotel Apartments(Protaras)(Great Value!)
US$43
US$42
All reviewsbar staffair congreat holidaystation barpool areaself cateringentertainment guybar snacksnext yearwater polosister hotelwater parkparrot showevening entertainmentkids clubsnack menuprotaras centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 October 2012

went on the 30th sept for 2 weeks.hotel was clean,but very quite.could not comment on food ate out all the time.couple of nice places to eat SPECTRUM PUB and MOJITO BAR.its 15 mins walk to protaras main strip and 5 mins to pernera center.the red bus is a must to famagusta.entertainment in the hotel is a no go.

Room Tip: top floor rooms have a nice view of the swimming pools and sea.bottom floor noisey from hotel equipment.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank paul w
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Just returned from papatonia and having payed to go there I should have payed peanuts for!! Entertainment was shocking wasn't even any entertainment at all! Except from maybe darts or anything the entertainer could be bothered to do!! On the other hand hotel was clean but beds very uncomfortable!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Cyprusisthebest
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The Papantonia is a great hotel for a budget holiday. We went self catering (Sept 2012) and ate out most days so can't comment on the restaurant but the room was nice and clean with a great view over the pool. Both pools were nice and clean and there were always sun beds available. The hotel is perfectly located a couple of minutes walk from the small resort of Pernera - def check out El Greco restaurant for authentic cypriot food (mixed meze for 18 euros well worth it!) - and approx 20 minutes walk into the busier resort of Protaras. There are a few bars and restaurants on the way to Protaris if you need to stop and the boardwalk is well lit at night so it always feels safe whatever the time. The entertainment at the hotel is limited but there are plenty of bars in Protaras and we particulalry liked the Knights Pub round the corner in Pernera. Aya Napa is also only half an hour away on the bus (1 euro per trip). There are lots of little beaches along the coast between Pernera and Protaras but our favourite was Fig Tree Bay at the far end of Protaras which was never too busy and had the clearest water - def get a snorkle for 5 euro and check out the hundreds of fish around the rock.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view - not much of a view on the other side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gemma A
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Just got back from the papantiona. We went 14 days self catering.

First off I have to say the self catering side is virtually non existent.2 plates 2 very small cups, 2 small glasses, 1 pan, a frying pan a toaster and kettle. Not sure how a family with young children would cope to be honest. I think it is deliberately designed to send you in to the bar and restaurant or force you to upgrade to half board or full board. The television consists of only greek channels and Euro news, there’s no BBC .The apartment is very basic but cleaned daily, and air conditioning in the bedroom was a nice surprise.

Going self catering was a big mistake on our part, we didn’t really budget for the ridiculous prices in the South of Cyprus, for instance a small coke in a bar was 3 Euros, in the local Supermarket 5 litres of bottled water 3 – 4 Euros,1.5 litre of Coke 3 Euros, small loaf 2.50 cents,box of Kellogs cornflakes 5 Euros I could go on and on, in general the prices are about 3 times more than you would pay in Spain for similar items. Not sure why this is. Eating out didn’t get much better either a board outside a local café would display a breakfast for 2 euros 99 cents including a brew, so you would expect a bill for 6 Euros for 2 (not 17 Euros) , was the same everywhere we went with restaurants, special offers advertised outside a restaurant at one price but getting a different price with astronomical service charge at the end. Taxis were expensive too, a journey from Lidyl to the Pappantonoa cost 10 Euros, a journey that takes 5 minutes top’s.

Tried to hire a car through reception with a company called Viking, the leaflet in the reception advertised a Special offer off 2 days hire for the price off 3,I opted for the category A vehicle 24 euros a day fully inclusive, so expected a 48 Euro bill. I asked the thin dark haired receptionist to arrange it for me as it was a company they deal with. .Here is where the fun starts,48 Euros for the car hire she tells me……….36 Euros Insurance……..and VAT is running at 30 % says she………….final price 136 Euros………I thought insurance was included says I ?,not you says she because yours is a new car. I wanted to give her a mouthful for trying to rip me off, but instead only managed no thanks. I went outside and phoned the company myself and managed to get hire for 90 Euros. Unfortunately the day it was delivered she was on the reception, she spoke in Cypriot to the driver who asked me for 100 Euros, I gave him 100 Euros, and he then asked me for another 25 Euros for petrol. I told him to take the car back, and then he just took the 90 Euros and went. The car was a Chevrolet Matiz with a potted back light, suspect steering and it sounded like a Trabant.

That was my only gripe with the South of the Island everything was a rip off. Everywhere you went and ate a meal with drinks was the same. Hidden charges or simply over inflated prices. We spend a lot of time in Spain and have never encountered this problem before. I noticed the Russians seemed to get preferential treatment everywhere they went, chair pulling out in restaurants etc,they all seem extremley very wealthy these days

My wife and I crossed the border in too Nicosia and we were very surprised. We wasn’t expecting a quaint little town with cobbled streets, lovely shops with friendly people. We ate a lovely kebab chips and salad and had 4 cans of coke for just 17 Euros,we also bought some nice souveniers.We enjoyed the experience so much we drove over the border near famagusta paying 20 Euros insurance and spent the day sight seeing the town. the old quarter is beautiful, a walled city with cathedral, church castle battlements etc. it was weird seeing a cathedral that would not look out of place in any British City used as a mosque. To be honest the highlight of our holiday was the North of the Island, it was much prettier with plenty of history, the people were much friendlier and everything was much cheaper.

Travelling is a good way of forming your own opinion. Before I had visited the North I had read only propaganda on the internet that talked off destroyed historic monuments etc, all I found was a beautiful old city with plenty of historic monuments and lovely shops with friendly people. And for us it was the highlight of our holiday, I would highly recommend visiting the North and experiencing the culture, it is such a strange experience but a nice one.

I am not going to score the Papantonia low just because some sour faced receptionist tried to rip me off, at the end off the day the Hotel was as advertised and good value for what we paid, clean, with air-conditioning and we felt safe there, there was also plenty of sun loungers. The Thomson Rep Lisa was also lovely and the transfer was great. I always think the holiday experience with Thomsons is excellent

I would only go back though on either half board or full board because it was just so expensive eating out. I would advise anybody going with young children on a budget to think very carefully, because what you save on a self catering holiday here you will lose in the Supermarkets and restaurants, I spoke to one young family with 2 children who spent 900 Euros in one week.

Not sure if dealing with drunken teens who don’t know what day it is every summer is part off the problem, but some Cypriots need to try and be a little bit friendlier to us Brits and stop trying to rip us off. I was expecting the hostility on the Turkish side but instead found only nice friendly people who made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dcleach070667
Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

Hotel is not great, not that clean really far out the way of the protaras main strip, wouldnt go again. Food was horrible and most of it was cold cuz it had been sat out to long, staff were miserable. And entertainment was shocking! Also pool was dirty, and the bridge that goes over the pool is off limits cuz its breaking. Also view from our balcony was rubbish, it was wasteland!! Not good!!!

• Stayed: March 2012