“Brand new hotel”

Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Protaras
Newton-Le-Willows, United Kingdom
“Brand new hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

I visited the Pearl on the 1st may for a week. I arrived around midnight, for such a superior hotel i was shocked to be dropped off on the main road with my belongings.... the entrance to the hotel is down an extremely steep brew. I was ready for my welcome drink that i had been reading in previous reviews, there wasnt one.... Check in took no more than 15 minutes, and my cases were brought up to the room shortly after.
The room was very plain, and there was a missing picture off the wall as there was a large screw in the plaster board. The beds were very comfy as previous reviews and the bedding was a very good quality. The bathroom was the best i have ever stayed in, it really went beyond my expectations, this was the only part of the holiday that went beyond my expectations, 2 sinks is a great idea, and the rainshower was just heaven, although virtually impossible to turn on without either burning or freezing yourself, i noted a few days in to leave the handle at eight oclock and that was a good temperature. There are a lot of light switches in the room, and the cove setting was just perfect... The maids kept my room very nice indeed. I ordered room service and it was delicious, well worth the 50 minute wait. The balcony was in full shade so i never ever sat on it, plus it overlooked the main restaurant, it was never noisy, just i only paid for a limited sea view and not a full sea view, boy was it limited, you had to wretch your neck out of its socket to see the sea, but thats the room type i had booked so.. The air con was a bit noisy, i am a very light sleeper though. I must say, the rooms are lovely and quiet and the balcony doors are very well soundproofed.
The staff in the hotel are very professional, they create a low key atmosphere, almost like a business hotel, there was a lady on reception, i think her name was spelt Glykias? she was so lovely and helpful, nothing was too much for her, we had asked another staff member if we could pay and keep our rooms on, she tried her best not to let us, however, the young lady i mentioned tried her very best to let us, and we kept our room on until 4.00pm.
The pools are ok, bit of a strangely laid out hotel for me, but they were nicely kept and plenty of sunbathing space. I did like that you could pick were you wanted to sunbathe, however i was well aware that some customers were not happy with their allocation purely because the hotel was starting to get busy. It was annoying listening to other guests saying they were in the sunrise beach b&b next door and were upgraded to the pearl on half board for free? And the couple sunbathing next to me were given a suite with a full sea view and they had not booked a suite as far as they knew?
The beach is ok, not as nice as it has been, purely because of them building the wooden walkway . Its only 10 steps to the beach so great for a dip in the sea. The weather was amazing, mid 30's all week. The breakfast were amazing, pancakes, omelettes, proper bacon, the best hash browns i have ever tasted, the most amazing fresh orange i have ever tasted. The main chef was Andrea, he made great omelettes and brings them to your table if there isnt a cue. The main restaurant is set half inside and half outside, lovely at night time, however i did not enjoy the music at the evening meal, to loud and to miserable, but thats just down to personal taste. There were a lot of babies at the hotel, they were looked after very well. I felt the hotel lacked atmosphere, it was dead after 10.30pm, i did find the hotels bar, but it was not inviting at all, and very dark indeed, i am all for mood lighting, but i walked in and walked out.
As you will read from my review i gave a mixed review. I would recommend this hotel to families with small children that like 5 star facilities and keeping themselves to themselves. I have been to protaras 5 years on the run staying at various hotels.. I am looking at the Capo bay for summer 2014, i went i and the atmosphere was much warmer in the evening.
Please know, Thanos the head waiter boss man runs a very tight ship and the staff run to serve you, they work very hard indeed!!! A lovely young lady will come to your sun lounger with drinks around the pool, a very nice touch. Once in the week a young lady came around the pool area with very thinly sliced fruit, would have been nice every day, not sure why it only happened once?
I ate at the American bar reef as part of the dine around option, the food was only ok, the service was ok, when my order was being taken by the gentleman waiter, i asked for a garlic bread, i was abruptly told 'that would be extra' it was 2 euros something...... I asked for a medium cooked fillet steak, it was hammered, i was so hungry i just ate it, i will not be eating in there again.
Let me say how different my experience at Kykylos was, thats the greek restaurant on the strip, a bit of a rocky start, waited a while for a drink, then another fair wait to order, it was not busy at all, this is always my concern. The food was vey good indeed, i had veggy balls and then the chicken kebab, very nice.. greek salad was amazing too.. The staff were very casually dressed compared to how thanos team were presented at the hotel? I was told the hotelier owned the restaurant too.
The resort is very touristy, but it has everything you could ever need, the usual tourist shops, great bakeries and ice cream shops to a costa coffee, pizza hut and a mcdonalds.
I did enjoy my stay, i just felt it was to formal, would be a perfect honeymoon hotel.

Room Tip: high floor- full sea view. I wouldnt book a swim up room because they were always in the shade and t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jo S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed at the Sunrise Pearl from the 28th April - 5th May 2013 and it was one of the best hotels I have stayed at, we were welcomed at reception by Vera who was really friendly and asked us how our flight was and out of nowhere a waitress appeared with a tray of drinks for us while we checked in, the porter then took our bags to our room for us and on arrival to the room we found a bottle of champage waiting for us (It was out anniversary while we were there) this was a lovely touch!

The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis and all toiletries were replaced everyday, the products were L'Occitaine which is really nice stuff! There was a nice fluffy dressing gown for us and a pair of slippers.

Every morning when the room was cleaned a bottle of water was left by the bed and when I say the room was cleaned I mean it was really cleaned every day they even lined all my shoes up in a neat row! Also every evening while we were out to dinner the staff came back and turned our bed down and left chocolates on the pillows!! Lovely!!

The breakfast was AMAZING....first of all let me tell you I am a fussy vegetarian so I am not easily pleased but the breakfast was great! All the usual sausages, bacon, eggs (any which was you want them) omelettes, hash brown etc and then pancakes, grilled Halloumi, croissants and every sauce/jam you can think of! Personally I went for pancakes with Nutella and Cherry jam nearly every morning!

The evening meals were just as nice lots of choice and the deserts were also very nice! After nice 5 or 6 I was ready for a change and we did eat out at Mojito in Penera (the next village on) just simply because we both wanted a different atmosphere.

The only thing I would have a little moan about is the price of the drinks, personally I dont mind paying over the odds for alcoholic drinks but 3.10euro for a Fanta is very excessive! We tended to use the mini bar in the room to keep some drinks from the local shop cold.

The staff were really nice and the area is lovely, 5 minute walk from Fig Tree Bay and plenty of acitivies to do.

All in all I would definately stay again!!

Room Tip: 823 is a lovely room! Nice seaview and set away from the main hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WakefieldBex
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

What a stunning hotel!
We got a great deal to stay at this hotel, and i have to say what a bargain, I would definitely go back in a heartbeat. We stayed the first week of may for a week half board.

The hotel is new and spotlessly clean. The staff can’t do enough for you they are all really friendly and helpful. Our room was cleaned every day and the maids would come past in the evening to turn down the beds and leave a chocolate on the pillows. The beds were the comfiest I have ever slept in while i was abroad and was disappointed to be coming home to my own bed! (This never happens)

We at the buffet and 3 of the restaurants. The buffet is very good for a buffet style in a hotel, the puddings are very nice! The fish restaurant is exceptional with a stunning view of the grounds and the beach. The Greek restaurant is a short walk from the hotel and the service was a little slow when we were there but they were very busy and soon called in extra staff, but the food is excellent. The American restaurant is at the sunrise beach hotel next door and the food was good but i felt it was not as good as the Greek and the fish options.

At lunch time we ate in the hotel at the Mistral restaurant, we could have gone out but it just wasn't necessary, Costas and Anna in the restaurant would remember our orders and ask if we wanted the same again and would talk to you about your day, the level of service we received meant we didn’t want to go anywhere else!

Another fantastic idea from the hotel that i have never had before is that we choose our sunbeds on arrival and these were ours for the whole time we were there, so there was no fighting for sunbeds around the pool every morning.

The beach and the pool area were lovely. There were things to do around and about but we didn’t venture further than the beach! Perfect holiday thank you sunrise pearl!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DrPipping
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had such an amazing 10 day experience at the Sunrise Pearl travelling on 7th April 2013 that I felt compelled to write my first ever review. My Husband and I arrived at the Sunrise Pearl 11pm when we arrived at reception everything was so organised. We gave our name and received our room card. We where offered to leave our luggage to be brought up by the night porter and pointed towards the glass lifts. This was our first night view of an amazing peaceful hotel. The pools looked amazing. We had a sea view room. On exploring the hotel we were amazed at the suites with their own spa pools or swimming pools. But the swim up to rooms looked to be in the shade a lot of the time. The bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets and pillows where of high quality. The bathroom had his and her sinks and a fantastic rain shower .Breakfast was a fabulous experience where we met Thannos who lead the most fabulous team of staff who without exception where friendly and attentive to our every need. Even though breakfast was a buffet, Andreas one of the chefs made me feel special as I requested poached eggs and he made and brought these to my breakfast table each morning. We met Anna one off the waitresses at lunch. She never failed to have a smile, every time we saw her she had time to chat. On speaking to other guests they also mentions how she made u feel u where the only guests there at the time. Clearly she loved her job and the people she worked with. We went to choose our sun beds for the holiday fantastic idea, no getting up early to get a bed. These where tagged to your room and yours for the rest of the holiday. Everything was cleaned to perfection from the Sunbeds around the pool to the rooms, bathrooms and public areas. Arriving back from dinner to find a Lindt chocolate on my pillow in a romantically lit room each night was a lovely touch. Lastly I have to mention cocktails with the management. This was our last night and what an experience. Very forward thinking team, hosting a champagne reception outside the 5 star spa. Have to say I was so disappointed that this was my last day and I hadn't taken the time to explore the spa area before then. Full credit to the team at Sunrise Pearl for the most relaxing chilled out holiday ever. Guaranteed to see us again. And next time even if he sun is shining I will be in the spa checking out the floatations pools sauna's and snow room. Janine N.Ireland

1 Thank Jay_69_13
Paralimni, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Beautiful modern hotel, fabulous spa, worth a stay. Good location, great views. Sea view suite a must.
Good food with a good choice of venues. Use of sister hotel facilities.

Friendly discreet helpful staff.
Allocated sun beds a great idea.

Room Tip: Sea view a must
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jean29449
Kreuzlingen, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

Excellent and perfecly cleaned hotel, extremly dedicated and motivated staff, great food in all restaurants. I simply loved it and will come back asap. If somebody is looking for recreation this is the perfect place.

Room Tip: Ask for first row sea view
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

This hotel met expectations in nearly all areas.
Our sea view room had a front line sea view - not always the case when booking elsewhere. The room was beautifully clean, well maintained and everything worked, including the internet.
All the public areas were also well maintained and very clean. The swimming pools were cool-as most are- but again very clean.
The hotel operate an allocation system for sun loungers which prevents the usually headache of people claiming their own with towels and then not using them. The system worked well and should be adopted in other hotels.
The staff were without exception, friendly, attentive and efficient.
The food was good but a little uninspiring. We have enjoyed a better variety in a couple of other hotels in a similar price range. However Port is full of different eaters so you will never go hunger.
To sum up I would recommend this hotel to friends and family when considering staying in Prot.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view room. Don't book full board, there are plenty of places around the...
1 Thank IcantthinkofoneKent