“Flawless Hotel”

Sunrise Pearl Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I'll spare the long winded repetitions that others have already highlighted and give an honest review...

My fiance and i stayed here for a week in early July and completely fell in love with the hotel.

The staff, as mentioned, are a true credit and will go above and beyond to ensure you have a happy holiday. Maria, Thanos, Ivanka and all the wait staff... thank you!

The beds are gorgeously comfortable - the rooms clean, tidy and spacious.

Wonderful food in the waterfall restaurant, the Mistrel and Lemongrass were superb! (Didn't try the others so can't comment)

Staff come around the pool with cold towels and fruit which is a lovely touch.

Our room was on the first floor - we had no noise from the busy strip at all. Complete peice and quiet. The view wasn't incredible but we had paid for a standard view and were happy with our partial sea view :)

My only negetive comment is towards Thomson... I would be more inclined to book direct when we return. The Air Hostesses were completely horrific - eye rolling, tutting and general snottyness the entire flight!

Regardless, we found the hotel was filled with lots of other lovely couples who all had a wonderful time. I think anyone who has had a bad experience at this hotel is a real exception and you would be pretty unlucky to have a major complaint of any kind... or just very very particular!!!

I honestly can't recommend it enough!

1  Thank Leeanne S

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just arrived back from two weeks at the Sunrise Pearl. We stayed HB and booked through Thomson. No reflection on the hotel but the bus journey there was horrific. It took the best part of two hours to get to the resort, (which is only 40 minutes away from Larnaca) on an old un-air-conditioned bus! By the time we arrived at the Hotel we were hot and agitated.

We booked a partial sea view double room and upon arrival, after all of the hype built up on TripAdvisor, I have to say I was a little disappointed.

The room wasn’t anything special, it was a standard room in my opinion. I have stayed in much nicer rooms at other five star hotels in Cyprus. The bed was massive, which was a plus, the wardrobe was the bane of my life while we were there. It was heavy and kept sticking, making it incredibly difficult to open and close. The bathroom was nice, with his and hers sinks. The shower however was in the bath, which got extremely slippy when the shower was on.

When they say partial sea view they really mean partial! I wouldn’t class what we had as any sort of sea view at all, the balcony basically faced the Vrissiana Hotel next door…. Which was a bit of a disappointment.
Upon arrival the porter showed us how the sound system worked and where everything was etc. We didn’t have a wire for the sound system to connect our iPhone for music so he went away and got us one, which was great – had they sound system worked. The speaker didn’t work in our bathroom and the wire must have had a loose connection because that didn’t work 100% either. We also had to leave an iPhone plug in the socket because it got stuck in there and nothing could get it back out!

The allocation of sunbeds is excellent. Not having to worry about getting a bed is great. We were allocated beds near the kids pool, which when the aqua aerobics is on, the water pours over the edge and soaks the floor beneath your bed, so make sure your bags aren’t on the floor!

We were moved after two or three days to the adults only pool which was much quieter- only one or two kids managed to sneak in on the odd occasion! Maria from the pool bar was also lovely

Food: breakfast is breakfast wherever you go. The food was nice and there was always plenty of it. I can honestly the say that I was really disappointed with the food in the restaurant on an evening, it was just ok and luke warm at best. Not a lot of choice and very samey each night. We ended up using the dine around option more than we had initially anticipated.

I have read several poor reviews about the food at the Greek, but I thought that it was lovely. The portion sizes were decent, it was always hot, and they are much more flexible with what you can choose as part of your HB. The only downside is that I would have liked more choice, and more Greek dishes! As it is, you can’t go wrong with chicken kebab really! If you like Greek food then you should enjoy!

Marcellos has been raved about on here and I really did not enjoy either meal that I had there. To say it’s an Italian is an overstatement. If you want pizza or pasta I’m sure you’re fine but anything else… was just OK. I had a bizarre chicken dish that was meant to be wrapped in breadcrumbs but tasted more like Yorkshire pudding! Rock hard pate and one tiny tiny triangle of toast!

Lemongrass was nice each time we went there, only thing it’s missing is prawn crackers!

We ate out at the Corner Flambe across the road once and it was fab, took a while for food but it was all fresh and fab – would definitely recommend there.

All in all it’s a nice hotel, it’s extremely clean, however, having paid £1500 each I was disappointed. I’ve stayed in a lot of other 5* resorts and the Sunrise Pearl still has some catching up to do….

As someone has previously said ‘some people have been fooled by its sparkle.’

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Lauren_Robinson1987
Reviewed 14 July 2014

From arrival I loved the look and atmosphere. We were met by porters who collected our luggage and took them to the room, explained everything (air conditioning, safe etc.)
The room and facilities were excellent, spotlessly clean and well furnished.
The food was amazing, so much choice and the service was great.The staff couldn't do enough for you, they were really friendly and helpful.
The pools were beautiful , clean, and even though the hotel was full there was plenty of space for everyone.
The location of the beach was so easy to get to just a few steps from poolside.
We were there for 7 days, I wish it could have been longer, I will definitely be returning but possibly later in the year when it's not so hot !!!!!

Room Tip: I was more than happy with my room, but good to specify if you want double or twin.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gloria T
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is worth its five stars. The service is exceptional, all of the staff cannot do enough for you, while at the same time blending into the background and not being in your face. The sun bed idea is genius, we had loungers next to the adult pool which was very peaceful. The adult pool is separated from the kids pool by the restaurant so its like they aren't even there :)

The dine around option is great too. Normally don't like going half board as like to get out and about on an evening and this allows you to do this, even if it is just down the road. Tried the greek, italian, asian and american grill as well as the buffet restaurant in the hotel. Wasn't keen on the american grill but the greek and Italian were decent. My biggest disappointment was the Asian as the general feeling was that it was amazing... maybe I was expecting to much but my thai curry was poor and my partner felt the same about his pad thai. The waterfall restaurant was excellent though and not like any buffet restaurant I've seen, very relaxed.

The resort is pretty typical. The strip is quite loud on an evening but as soon as you step into the hotel it disappears and peace and quiet returns. The sound proofing is excellent.

My only negative is that we booked a sea view room, and like someone else mentioned, the view was actually of the back of a building (although you could see a little bit of sea over the top). I asked to be moved on arrival but was told it was full and that was the last I heard. I blame Thomson for this though as in my opinion this is a partial sea view which is not how Thomson sold it. But I cant say I'm surprised by that cause the customer service displayed by Thomson has been poor.

Anyway, I normally go to crete but if I fancy a change I would definitely come back to this hotel, although I'd consider booking direct rather than through Thomson. Very much worth the 5 star rating.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our third visit to the wonderful Sunrise Pearl.

We booked with Thomson's and we had a full sea view room.
We arrived quite late at night and while checking in we were each given a refreshing juice.
We were pleasantly suprised to be remembered by many of the staff from previous visits.

Our room was amazing we had a full view of the hotel grounds, pools and an amazing sea view.
As it was our anniversary while we were there, we entered our room to find the hotel had given us a bottle of Champagne & a bottle of wine as a gesture which was a lovely touch.

The rooms are spacious, and modern, cleaned on a daily basis with a turndown service in the evening.

The dine around option really works, you can eat at Kyklos, Marcello's, Lemongrass and the Reef.
The duck is a must at the Lemongrass, and the lamb chops at Kyklos.

I will spare you the usual "review" and hopefully give you some useful hints & tips for a great holiday at the Pearl:

To Eat:
If you like sea food try Ocean Basket on the sea front, 100 yards from the Pearl, frequented by the locals which is always a good sign

To Drink:
The prices of drinks at the Pearl are expensive so pop next door to the Sunrise Beach of an evening where they are cheaper & the bar is situated with a sea view unlike the Pearl's "bunker bar"

If you want to go off site the Brewery on the stripp offers reasonable priced cocktails and German beers in a relaxed atmosphere.

The staff at the Pearl is what really makes the holiday.
I could name them all but I would be here all day, so here are a few:

Kyriacos always smiling, always happy, Konstantina at the Lemongrass and last but not least Maria, located around the adult pool, an absolute gem.
Always happy and spoke to everyone no matter how hot it was.

Will we return ............... See you in October :-)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mel5151
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We have just returned from yet another wonderful stay at the Sunrise Pearl in Protarus. It was just like arriving home, the girls on reception rembered us and gave us a lovely welcome back as we were clebrating our 1st wedding anniversary (although it was a couple of weeks early), we had a bottle of wine and champagne in the room for us. Most of the staff were still there and a few of them had been promoted.
We had a Junior Suite which was spacious and well appointed and had a lovely view of the grounds and the sea. It was cleaned twice daily and nice touches were bottles of water left every day, bedding pulled back at night, foot towels next to the bed and tasty sweets left every night!!
The hotel is perfectly located in the centre of the main strip and there are plently of restaurants, bars and shops to choose from.
It really does make a change not to have to get up early to pick your sunbed as you are allocated your sunbeds for the duration of your stay. Depending on where there are empty beds, you can choose around the kids pool, the grass, the sand area across the front of the hotel or around the adult only pool. If the available beds are not your preferred choice, you can move as others become available.
The hotel still looked really nice and all areas were really clean. The staff (in the restaurant, bars, reception in fact all of them) could not do enough for us and all guests. The food is served buffet style but rather than the big trays overflowing with food, it is presented A La Carte style. There is also the option to "Dine Around" so you can experience the food in selected restaurants on the main strip as part of the Half Board package. Lemongrass, a Pan Asian restaurant, was a new addition this year and must not be missed. The food in there was exceptional.
The "Boardwalk" stretches from one end of the resort to the other along the sea front and is nice to walk along day or night.
We cannot praise this hotel enough, which is why we went back this year. The staff really put themsleves out for you and it is so relaxing.

I hope that you find this review helpful.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a sea view of some description, although how much of the sea that you can see differ...
2  Thank Wicker-Chalmers
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My partner and I spent 7 days at the Sunrise Pearl beginning of July.
First of all - the Sunrise Pearl is definitely the nicest and most high-class hotel in the area. The pool/garden/beach area is beautfiul, especially viewed from a seaview room or the Waterfall Restaurant terrace. The service of mostly all waiters was excellent - it goes so far that you get your napkin placed in your laps at the buffet (!) restaurant, which is of course a nice gesture, but as you HAVE to get up to get food, it is obviously useless as well. But still - a nice touch!

The few flaws that we experienced were:
- We booked a seaview room and upon arrival were informed that we've been upgraded to a junior suite which of course made us happy. The reception clerk then noticed that the "upgrade" only was for one night as our "own" room was not ready yet. So we had to switch rooms after one night, which was not so nice as we could not really unpack our things and all.
BUT - another tip for future guests: i would NOT recommend the junior suite at all. your bed is separated from the seaview by a room-separating-wall-thingy.. which makes the sleeping AND dressing/make-up area(!) very dark! In the seaview room we then stayed at everything was much nicer - we even had a bigger bathroom with 2 sinks (only 1 sink in the JS) and a marvellous view of the sea right from the bed!!!

- The allocated beds are all in all a very good idea. But as a former reviewer mentioned, there were always a ton of beds empty all day that you still could not use as they belonged to someone else.. What really frustrated us was that the beautiful lounger beds at/in the pool (as seen on the hotel pictures) were mostly empty as well. When we asked at the reception if / how it was possible to get one of these bad we were told that these were reserved for guests of more expensive suites. Still - most of the beds stayed empty during our entire stay! Not a nice touch for a "normal" guest...

- The water gymnastics. The Sunrise Pearl is - for most of the time - an animation-free hotel, thank god! For the one exception of the water gymnastics class which takes place by the childrens pool at noon every day. As our allocated beds were right next to this area we chose to spend noon-time somewhere else most of the week.

- Restaurants: During our stay we ate at the Waterfall buffet restaurant, the Fishbone fish restaurant (which costs extra), the Mistral pool restaurant (lunches), Marcellos Italian restaurant and the Greek restaurant. All in all the Fishbone was definitely the best - but as mentioned - you pay extra for that. The Watefall was very nice as well, especially because of the nice service!
At the "outside" Restaurants you get 3 courses which you can choose from the menu. The Greek restaurant - located on the strip opposite a big supermarket - had the least charm and the food was not very good as well - would not recommend that. Marcellos was ok, but as we only got a reservation fo 18:00 although we checked for 3 days in advance it was pretty empty at the time.. The food there was quite alright - but not exceptional.
All in all I would recommend the Fishbone and the Waterfall the most, as you there can enjoy a beautiful view of the sea during your dinner!

Altogether it was quite a nice holiday with many very good features and services and a few flaws!

3  Thank ASTraveller101