“Poor”

Anastasia Beach Hotel
Ranked #37 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Booked 10 days at the anastasia after being there 4 years ago which I found great, however this time, very disappointed, let me start by sayinying the bar and Resuarant staff were great and work hard. I booked an apartment with sea view via Thomas Cook, on arrival at night I did not receive what I booked and paid for, it took 3 days of complaining before we were moved to a room with a sea view, again not what I booked and paid for but better than over looking a water park and waist pipe, the linin was dirty, the white towels are not white, the rooms are dirty, the so called satellite TVs do not work in the Anastasia in any room, there seems to be a big problem at this hotel now as more English people arrived they all complained that they did not receive what they booked and paid for, some arrived and had no rooms at all and had to be moved to another hotel for a few days, I am not sure what type of scam is going on with the Anastasia but regardless of what you book and pay for the Anastasia seem to give you what they like and will charge you hundreds of Euros if you want to change, The Thomas Cook reps are as much good as a chocolate tea pot, and all they will say is I don't know you will have to claim when you you get home?
Also even if you have paid for extra leg room for the flight home including a meal, does not mean you will get it or even the flight you are booked, we were numbed to a Thomson flight with nothing I had paid for, and let Cyprus hours after the Thomas Cook flight, againI was told you will have to claim the money back when you get back, I will never ever use Thomas Crook again, or go back the Anastasia , do your blood pressure a favour and book somewhere else, and may I say not with Thomas Crook

48  Thank Brendan B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,501)

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We visited the same hotel 4 years ago and we had the best time ever, so much so that as a surprise anniversary present my husband booked it again.
Whilst booking online, the question came up would you like to upgrade to a apartment with sea view, he jumped at the chance because the last time we stayed at the Anastasia he requested a sea view but we didn't get one, on that occasion we never pursued it.
We arrived at the hotel just a little after 10pm, we were dropped off at the waterpark entrance?
We we're given a seen better days sandwich, no water and no assistance.
We entered the room which was located at the waterpark, this was not what my husband had booked. Come the morning at 10am the park came into action, in our room it was like being in a school playground with the loudest screams and music thumping. There was no evidence of the satellite tv which was written on the website, instead there was what looked like a 1980's tv that didn't work. So I used my iPhone for music but once the park opened I could no longer hear my music, we stayed away from our room between 10am and 5pm when it closed because you couldn't comfortably sit on your balcony and read or anything.
We obviously complained to the Thomas Cook rep who said if we were to be moved we would be charged again? We also spoke to the hotel manager and he dismissed us completely.
How would we have to pay more money when we had paid a extra £118.00 for apartment with a sea view, we were also told there were no apartments with sea views by the rep? We know this was not true, so we contacted our daughter back home to screen capture what was being advertised and showed this to the rep a few days after, as a consequence we were moved into the hotel into a room with a sea view although not the apartment what had been booked and payed for. But we were happier than over looking the water park but already our anniversary holiday had been spoilt, we've never had to complain to these lengths before anywhere around the world.
The apartment was dirty, the shower curtain was rank, rust stains on it, i do have the photos, a shower that ran warm then scalded you causing you to slip each time you jumped out of the way of the burning water and the actual shower hose shooting off the wall.
The restaurant staff work so hard and long hours but we always found them happy and polite to us, but our room was never really clean and we had a wardrobe door hanging off the whole of our stay.
On out final day we were returning to our room when the Thomas Cook rep who had tried to be helpful with the room move but equally never knew a answer to any question we asked her, stopped us to say we had randomly been bumped off of out flight home, and we would be returning home with Thompsons airline instead. We asked why were we being taken off of our flight home, but we got the usual response I DONT know, so my daughter back home rang a local Thomas Cook and was told that it would be one of the reps dealing with it in the hotel in Cyprus. My husband was lived, we felt we had been penalised for moving rooms and complaining to be honest.
We were taken to the airport by the coach where upon arrival we wasn't even down to fly on the Thompsons list either, by this time I was sobbing my heart out as I do have a fear of flying and I would never ever fly anywhere without sitting next to someone I know, so my husband knowing what a whimp I am where planes are concerned always books ahead so that we will be seated next to each other, I was terrified now as We were told we could now be opisate ends of the plane, thiis hit me hard especially after my husband had pre booked our seats together and paid for extra leg room because of my back problems. He had paid for extra luggage allowance and a meal on the plane to which now none of this applied. I cannot explain the panic this caused to me and the added anxiety.
The rep at the airport was very helpful compared to the Anastasia and assured us seats next to each other once it was established we were flying home with Thompsons although this was leaving 2 hours twenty minutes later than we should of left with Thomas Cook.
This put my husband so late home that he only had a couple of hours sleep before a very important meeting with some people flying in from Amsterdam the next morning, none of which the Anastasia / Thomas Cook cared about. All we were told we would have to try to claim all the money back with no explanation or compassion. We sat and watched our flight leave with no real idea why this had happened to us and why we're were selected to not fly home with Thomas Cook.
I never ever thought I would spend the last hours of my holiday in tears, i most definatly would not ever fly or book anything through Thomas Cook ever again, we were about to book a holiday for two families with them to Jamaica costing around £10.000 between us all but not now. I would defiantly never stay at the Anastasia beach hotel ever again either the standards have slipped beyond belief. We spoke to many people during our stay who doubted this was a 4 star hotel even, and I have to agree with them, we only expected what we had paid for and nothing more which they didn't deliver.
The things we did love outside the hotel was the red bus tour it was really informative and I am looking forward to watching the DVD we purchased, and the Shirley valentine boat trip such good value and lovely people.
We also hired a car for a few days to travel about and that was brilliant.
I would never recommend this hotel to anyone like I had in the past.

24  Thank Diane2006
TsokkosCyprus, Manager at Anastasia Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

June 16th,

We would like to thank you for posting your review on trip advisor. Anyway, first of all I have to state that you have never contacted me personally to pass me your issues. Nevertheless let me take your issues from the begining. We do play music at the water park but the volume is well monitored by our staff. Secondly, we do have BBC available at the appartments. Furthermore, you were offed a front see view room at the Anastasia Hotel, room '208', and you were compensated by the representative of T/Cook. I was also surprised the way you described the cleanliness of your appartment. All commends we receive from our Clients about the standard of cleanliness is between very good and excellent. You did not report either to the representative of T/Cook or to a menber of our Front ofiice staff about such an issue. Not only the restaurant staff but all of our staff work hard to keep the Hotel's standards as high as possible.
Our main aim at the Anastasia Hotel is to keep our Clientelle, as satisfied as possible and to offer something over value.
Thank you.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We returned back from the anastasia on the 4/6/14 having stayed there for 2weeks we are a young family and we found the hotel exceptional we stayed all inc and can not fault it the staff were friendly the entertainment was excellent the food was brilliant and so were the drinks absolutely no complaints from us , the gym open from 9am til 6.30pm the indoor swimming pool was warm and clean and available all day too. The room was basic but had free aircon a mini fridge and a tv . The kids club/activities were brilliant and so was the thomascook kids club . Every staff member we came across were happy helpful and pleasant ... Ideal location with in walking distance to pernera beach and to protaras along the flat lit safe walkway harbour 10mins to the left protaras 15 mins to the right See you next year !!!

• Stayed: May 2014
8  Thank Adzwrx
Reviewed 10 June 2014

we have just returned from our holiday which we all enjoyed. my children 9 and 7 loved it. The one stop entertainment team were lovely, very friendly and enthusiastic.they had daily activities which were fun and evening entertainment. My children didnt do the thomas cook kids club but did do the kids club with the entertainment crew, mirri and anna were great with the kids and mimo and renata were great fun for the adults! The aqua park is included in the ai package which was brilliant for the kids not sure worth the money if you had to pay for it. You couldnt go hungry as there was food from 7am till 11.30pm. Our rooms were lovely though not many coat hangers. The staff were all so friendly in the whole hotel ie cleaners, bar,waiters reception etc. A trip on the bus cost 1.50euro all the way down to nissi beach which was beautiful and well worth the visit as is the walk to fig tree. could go on for ages but point is cant complain about anything had a fantastic holiday

Room Tip: we loved the ground floor rooms as we had 2 rooms next to each other and kids had loads of freedom
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Maria W
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Hotel very good for young families, lots of Russians who only think of themselves and do not care for U.K./western values and manners. Internet cost is extortionate but the local bars have free wi-fi. The Reps are excellent and really helpful and approachable. Trip to avoid is a trip to the trioodos mountains as it goes through an open cast asbestos mine and the tour guide hands a piece of asbestos around the bus! Trip to take is the red bus as it is cheep & very informative. Water park looked very clean & great fun for the young at heart. Expect delays entering and leaving the airport if you have young children or mobility issues opt for the 10 euro express check in the reps will help you find it

Room Tip: Request a mid floor room and pool view
2  Thank DSol_13
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from two weeks in Cyprus where we stayed AI in this hotel.
I have to say that the staff here are the best I have met in any holiday resort. From the cleaners, who worked hard ensuring our rooms were kept tidy to the Manager who is makes himself known to guests and always asks if everything is ok.
The local entertainment team are genuinely nice people and work so hard morning, noon and night to keep guests entertained. Personally I don't like hotel entertainment in the evenings but once you get to know the team you can see they give it 100%.
There is a British receptionist and the rest of the staff are English speaking which is helpful.
Some things you may find useful:
If you arrive late, (after 10pm) as we did the only food available is an unappetising sandwich so ensure you eat on the plane or get something at the airport. If you arrive really late there is a kebab shop right opposite and also a supermarket that you can buy food in.
You do have to pay for Wifi, there are no areas in the hotel to access it for free. It's €30 for 7 days, this is for one access code that can be used on various devices but only one at a time. However, there is free wifi at the Blue Spice Restaurant opposite, it's nice to go over and buy a drink and use it!!
The water park is included in the AI for Thomas Cook packages, otherwise it's €15 entry for adults.
Whilst there I recommend you try the following:
Red Bus tours, a great either day or half a day where you get to travel around the area, they are run by UK people so all information and the commentary is in English.
Walk along the prom/boardwalk to Fig Tree Bay. It's a fair trek (45mins) but really worth it for a day on the beach especially if you have children as it's shallow for some way out.
The hotel is about 30mins walk along the boardwalk to "the strip" in protaris. It's busy and has lots of shops that are open until 11 and lots of bars and restaurants if you fancy a change of scenery.
If you don't fancy the walk there are service buses or a taxi is €7 (day) €8 (night).
We had a great family holiday, met some lovely people and enjoyed the sunshine.

Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank The_gogos
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

our room was a bit dated. We did pay for 3 adults but we have been given 2 normal beds and 1 camp bed which was rubbish so bare in mind if you are booking with teenager children you will be all in the same room... Breakfast, lunch and dinner were lovely but we were disappointed with snacks as all you could get was fatty food no fruit or salad. There was one very unpleasant receptionist but the rest of the staff were fantastic and lovely. we will never forget yummy pancakes for breakfast :-)
I would love to say thank you to Renata and Mimo and their collegues from one stop entertainment as they were fab. We have so many beautiful memories and pictures, and we had such a laugh. I am going to miss them they made our holiday.
we were quite disappointed that the spirits were not full strength. The pools were fab but can't say the same about showers and ladies toilets by the indoor pool. There was a light only in one ladies toilet on the left. The location was fantastic and we did have really good holiday.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank AnnaStoke
TsokkosCyprus, Manager at Anastasia Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

June 15,

Thank you for posting your review on trip advisor. Furthermore, we would like to thank you for the possitive commneds about our Hotel, but I have to say few words about your negative commends. Our snacks buffet, is based on a two weeks rota, which is provided after breakfast and after Lunch. We do provide a variety of dishes, for all ages and its really a rich selection of snacks, which suits to all of our Clients. We have never received any complaints about the variety or the quality, on the contrary the feed back we get is between very good and excellent.
Nevertheless, we will be happy to accomodate you at the Anastasia beach Hotel, in the near future.

Thank you.