“Excellent location”

Ranked #21 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Newport
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I have just returned from this hotel and after reading so many poor reviews, I must say I was a little worried about what I would find. I travelled with my partner and father. Our room 327 and my fathers 323 were both really lovely rooms overlooking the pool. The hotel is a little tired and is not 5 star. Entertainment is very poor but if you want night life you are just a very short stroll from the main very noisy strip of Protaras. The swimming pool is very nice but would be excellent if a set of steps were put into place in the deepend of the pool, this would allow swimmers to get in and out of the pool when activities are taking place in the shallow end. I loved the water aerobics. Pool beds need to be replaced as they look quite old. Food here in the evening was good with plenty of choice. Breakfast was not up to scratch but could have been improved if a microwave was available. The bacon was always cold, best choice is the omelet or crepes which are cooked while you wait. There is also a good choice of cheeses, ham, fruit, croissants etc. Staff at the hotel are wonderful, always smiling and willing to help. The hours they work I don't know how they keep so cheerful. The hotel is on the beach and what a wonderful beach Fig Tree Bay is. Plenty of water sports are available. Yes I would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Carolyn T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
High Ongar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My wife and I along with 3 friends stayed here between 26 September and 3 October 2012. At first it looked a wonderful location for our holiday which was to celebrate our friends birthday. The hotel is not a 5 star establishment nor 4 star or 4 star plus, I would put it at 3 star only. Whilst we were here many UK holiday makers were turned away on arrival because of over booking but other nationalities especially Eastern European were given the courtsey that was required. The hotel is catering more for Russians and eastern europe than western european. Points that need to be looked at are: 1. Breakfast food containers splases of dirt and residue food not cleaned and on the floor as well left with excess food. A member of the catering staff was seen to have long hair which she kept stroking down her front whilst replenishing breakfast food. 2. Entertainment was poor, no proffessional shows which were advertised. 3. Sunbeds were of a poor quality and need replacing. 4. Dinner was average but if you did not get in the queue at 7.30pm you had the remains of what looked like reasonable food.4 Desserts were poor and not variable all just synthetic cream.5. Orange juice was not pure orange watered down squash which leaked all over the floor. 6, Staff failed to replenish cups on several mornings and had to wait for them. 7. Bread was hard and was put out from the day before and worst of all no real butter only cart grease. Fridge was locked could not get it open unless you paid 1.50 euro per day. TV was poor only one english speaking channel and one with no sound. Most hotels abroad have SKY TV why is Cyprus different. Glass mirrors in the lifts were coated in suncream. Overall the location was good but will not go back to this hotel until it has been upgraded.There was not value for money.

Room Tip: There are better hotels than this one in the Protaras area.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We recently returned from our holiday with Jet 2 package holidays to the above hotel which was classed as 5 star and we paid £5500 for two adults and three children . the holiday was a big let down and as soon as we arrived back we got in contact with jet two with our complaints and two months after, all I received was a patronising reply which has lost all my Faith in Jet 2 and I want to warn other people before booking with this company which are at the moment heavily advertising how great their holidays are , It is not sour grapes just a warning to others
here is the email

Booking ref 493450/S12H
Air ref 2FQ8Z5
I am emailing you with a complaint regarding our recent holiday package with Jet2. 8th august to the 15th. The hotel which we booked was called Constantinos the Great in Protaris which you advertised as a 5 Star and family.
First of all on the second day we waited for your local rep who advised us about the welcome meeting but never bothered turning up as there was only our party on this flight.
As for the hotel, this is not a five star and I would only class it as a three star plus, the decor is in need of a full make over as the wallpaper is torn and hanging off in places, this also applies to the carpeted areas lights missing etc.
The rooms we booked were in need of repair and the furniture was tired and the patio doors were broken, the curtains hanging off and not closing properly. One of our children although he is a large eleven years old had to sleep in a small camp bed even though the room only had two other beds in. The toilet seat had been repaired using a lot smaller fixing which was loose due to the wrong size.
The main lobby was dismal with no atmosphere and hot as they had no air conditioning on a night and only one bar with a small choice of limited drinks which all tasted the same and all the cola etc was flat due to regular no gas. The entertainment was so bad and limited it made you feel depressed and leave the hotel which we had to do on numerous occasions. There was no outside bar after six thirty so this bar was the only option.
The main pool area had loose and missing tiles and in the swimming pool, big holes with jagged edges were the lights were missing and electrical cables just tucked in which were very sharp and I actually did cut my foot.
Every day the locals would arrive and take over the pool area with their ruck sacks and take your beds if you were not sat on them, this was even worse on a weekend when the hotel was totally over run and this put pressure on the limited recourses which we had.
As for the ALL INCLUSIVE this was a complete sham , the words used in the hotel was all inclusive package which made you feel lower class and inferior as you did not have the same and limited choice compared to people who were not all inclusive , for example if a person bought a diet coke , they . would get a diet coke can , on the all inclusive we got a hit and miss coke from the pump , this was same with water , they got a fresh bottle and we got pump , this applied to lots of items. We were not allowed items as ice coffees or ice creams, milkshakes, slush drinks, and only certain sandwiches, which all inclusive should mean all, as these were available to paying public, the main joke was three times I asked for a tuna and cheese sandwich even though they did ham and cheese, cheese and onion and tuna sandwich. I could not have one because it was not on the menu which was amazing.
The only entertainment for kids was three broken pool tables and a broken table tennis table, they didn’t even have WIFI and there were no activities for teenagers.
There was only one restaurant on an evening as the fish restaurant was not available to all inclusive. The food was very limited in choice and sometimes cold and the choices for kids were nonexistent
So I put it over to you to as your description of the hotel in the brochure we booked was totally wrong and we paid around £ 5,500 for one week which for value for money is not acceptable. We are regular users of jet 2 flights and holidays and I am looking for faith to be re in stored.
The only mistake we made was not to check trip advisor which if you look clearly states how bad the hotel is .

Please anyone who is thinking of getting MARRIED there DONT DO IT , the wedding area photos look gorgeous looking out to sea but what they dont show you is that on the other side of the alter is the main car park and bus drop off less than 10 feet away so get married in all the fumes and noise from the cars etc

Good points , most of the staff are friendly but do have their hands tied and know how bad the hotel is. The main dining room is lovely and views to die for but the food soon lets this down

Andy and Adele B

Room Tip: A sea view at least or you are overlooking the car park
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank andrew b
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Me & my girlfriend have just returned from Constantinos The Great & I think it's safe to say that are holiday has been a really good break. The front of the hotel looks very nice & luxurious. It's overall look when entering the hotel is brilliant, it has a nice touch. One thing I would point out is the furnishing is a little bit out dated, this needs to be updated. The attitude of some of the staff is quite appalling, the bartender that works in the lobby bar was the only guy that seemed to have the passion needed to work in a hotel. Other members of staff seemed as though we were bothering them & had to go out of their way to help you. The women that were on the reception were extremely rude, they were always in a mood & seemed very angry with you even when asking the most simplest of things.

The pool was lovely, very clean & big. Entertainment in this hotel needs to be looked at massively, we were told that there was going be live music on the Thursday night only to find out that the guy who was playing the music was the same guy who showed us into our room when we arrived....needless to say it wasn't that good, so I would not hang around for it. Activities through out the day around the pool are really good, you can play water polo, darts, etc.

Food in the hotel is amazing, really tasty & you have a lot to choose from. Even the snacks in the bar by the pool are nice but when ordering the food it's as though you are bothering them. One of the staff in the bar was on their phone for at least half an hour, leaving the other girl rushing around on her own trying to keep other holiday makers happy. Breakfast is good you have a lot to choose from, you can even have a omelette freshly made for you. Lunch time you also have a wide variety of food it's all really well presented to you, but again this is let down by some of the staff, for instance, when I accidentally left the the spoon on the side rather than on the plate, one of the rude chefs came over & slammed the spoon on the tray gave me a dodgy look & walked off. Dinner is great the food is delicious & the staff all seem happier to help you with whatever you need.

Our room was lovely, the beds are really comfy. Towels, bedding, soaps, were changed everyday. Our view was a little disappointing as we over looking builders building a new complex but you cant help that. We also had the sun in the evening & we could see some of the beach & sea which was nice.

The beach is lovely, plenty of water sports i.e Jet-ski's 40 Euro's for 20 minutes, also para-sailing but this is at a cheaper price, also so much more like massaging etc. I would definitely recommend a walk down to Fig Tree Bay the beach is very busy on hot days so I would leave early to get a sun bed.

Overall the holiday was brilliant but a little bit more work is needed especially on certain members of staff & the hotel it's self to reach the 5* mark.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Michael S
middlengland
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Title: Constantinous the Unpleasant

We went in September, half board. It was well above 30 degrees (mid 90
Fahrenheit) throughout our stay. The fridges in the rooms are locked -
no way of keeping a water bottle cold unless guests pay an extra £
1.50/day for the key.

This detail is symptomatic of the general attitude and atmosphere at the
hotel.

During the day, there is the noise from the major building site next
door and pop music blaring by the pool and in the gym. At night, the
noise is such that normal conversation on a 3rd floor balcony was
impossible: entertainment in the atrium, rowdy wedding parties in the
yard, megaphones on passing pleasure boats, pool parties at neighbouring
hotels and bars & discos blaring music all around.

Breakfast: The Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit were always excellent, the
rest below average. Weak squash for fruit juice, coffee is instant and
varying between dishwasher-water-strength to bitter-black. Scrambled
eggs are dry, sausages anaemic, croissants and pastries of the 4-for-
99p-Lidl-variety.

Dinner buffett is good, but somewhat monotonous. Half board guests are
refused filtered water with their meal. They MUST buy bottled water at £
2.50 per bottle.

Beach is nice, but loungers & umbrella for 2 costs £ 5/day.

Contrary to what it says on website, there is no ISDN/ ethernet internet
access in the room. Wifi access is £ 40 (yes, forty) / week for third-
world service. Google search can take up to a minute to load, frequent
line drops, streaming is impossible.

Use of the safe costs extra as well and the TV is of the cheapest
possible variety: 16 channels, only 2 in English (Euronews and a second
unidentifiable one).

A double room has only 1 unused power outlet. To charge camera & phone
at the same time, requires unplugging TV or fridge.

For several days, it wasn't possible to have a cold shower at lunchtime,
because the water ran hot *only*. We complained, but nothing changed.

Contrary to what it implies on the website, there are No laundry
facilities at hotel. Hotel offers an expensive dry cleaning service
only. There are no laundrettes in the vicinity, which means handwashing
everything or accepting the high cost of dry cleaning.

All around, it made for a noisy, unpleasant stay at dysproportionally
high cost: add the daily costs for a bottle of water for dinner,
laundry, use of a fridge and internet access to the holiday, a UK
visitor could spend two weeks in Hawaii for the same price.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank chrisMiddlengland
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Travelled here on 29th September and arrived back yesterday on 6th October. It's an OK hotel where the food is AVERAGE! The Rooms are AVERAGE! and the entertainers/kids clubs are AVERAGE! Its an ok holiday.

Aside from that, WE WILL NEVER BE FLYING WITH THOMAS COOK AGAIN!
We were suppost to depart from Newcastle at 8am. It got to about 10am then we were called to gate. We sat there till 11am then were sent back to departures with some food vouchers. It got to 4pm. We were still there being given more vouchers. We were FINALLY called to gate again at 5:15pm and took off at 6pm landing in Cyprus at 10pm UK Time. Will now be using Thomson or Jet 2 Holidays as Thomas Cook are unreliable! :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We stayed all inclusive at this hotel from 24th September to 4th October , as previously said , from the exterior the hotel looks quite grand , however on entering the hotel , it's safe to say it is in need of a major facelift , it seems quite dingy and dated inside with alot of dark wood panelling and chintzy furniture . On each floor level there is old carpet which is quite battered looking and not at all practical , and the only way past the first floor is in a lift which is a novelty at first but becomes increasingly annoying as you wait forever !!! Rooms are clean but dated , bathroom was refurbished , quite modern but all the wood and dated furniture in the rest of the room is not in keeping ! Room was cleaned daily , clean towels , toiletries ( shampoo, shower gel) replenished daily , however I used cups and saucers on a few occasions that were not taken and replaced with fresh until the following day when I made it obvious that I wanted fresh by placing dirty plates in a visible area . Pool area was fine , obviously in keeping with the rest , it needs updating , but if you are just there to sunbathe , a sunbed is a sunbed right?!! Most of the food was fresh and varied , deserts were lacking variety and I personally would have preferred the fruit to be in a chiller as it is left on a table and is not refreshing as it is warm . To be fair , the food in general was to a good standard but I got bored of all the rich food at lunchtime and just wanted a ham sandwich!!! To me , staff were fine , I see worse customer service here so that
was no issue to me . Location is great ! Overall we had a great holiday as we were there for a friends wedding , they stayed at the capo bay which was beautiful and we just spent our days there !! The constantinos is an average hotel which is fine , it certainly isn't 5 star and is definately not luxurious !! If you want modern , pay extra and stay at the capo bay !

• Stayed September 2012