“definitely not 5*”

Constantinos the Great Beach Hotel
Ranked #22 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed 14 August 2013

arriving at the hotel thought it looked lovely checked in o.k found our room ourselves no help from a porter room o.k but not one of the refurbished ones had to ask for sheets to be changed after 5 days and we weren't the only ones! food was adequate you wouldn't starve but most of the restaurant staff surly having to share pool with locals at weekends made the pool area very noisy evening entertainment was a joke girl on piano playing Russian dirges and night porter playing key board with two fingers morbid if we didn't go out we were in bed by 10pm the only redeeming factors are the location and the lovely bar lads who were right to tell us not to try the all inclusive cocktails yuck! I have never written a review before but we were so disappointed with this holiday and even the Thompson rep said it should not be classed as a 5* hotel

Room Tip: ask for a refurbished room at the front
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret E

Reviewed 13 August 2013

The Hotel is NOT 5 star more like a great 3, The public can use the pool ect as long as they pay which I found very poor for a "5" star Hotel. I got married there and the day was unforgettable, This was only made possible because of the great staff of Thomas Cook there not in the UK. Once they got there payment they were not interested. The staff and food were fab but the management was very poor. Don't be fooled when they tell you no children or free wi-fi. My new wife had to put her son in a different hotel because a'lot of what we were told in the UK was lies. I have stayed in a few real 5 star Hotels and this the bottom of my list. The best thing I can say about the Hotel is that the staff were 5 star, the rest was not. Would only go back there is a few million pound was spent on it and the management was replaced.

Room Tip: Choose sea view or face the pool.
Reviewed 10 August 2013

This Hotel was visited by friends of ours and recommended to us as a luxury hotel. Obviously over a couple of years the hotel owners have made cuts and our experience was that of an average 4 star and not a 5 star hotel. We went with our 4 year old son. The location is excellent and the food was great but the service was not so good. We expected waitress/waiter service around the pool and beach area but as we were all inclusive we did not get it the staff only asked people without all inclusive wristbands. I found this quite degrading. Also it was frustrating to see that people were using the hotel pool area as a public pool and the hotel were charging for the use of sun beds. We nevertheless had a great time and got over the fact that the hotel did not live up to our expectations.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 1st floor and these had been refurbished
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed for 7 nights at constantinos the great 21 st July-28thjuly. The location was fantastic and hotel very grand.we had a sea view room which could have done with a lick of paint but the view more than made up for that. The food was good with a variation of meats at every meal so no complaints on the quality of food on offer.The staff overall were very good and polite more than can be said for the Russian guests- smile you are on holiday!!! The weather was very hot but the breeze in the afternoons was lovely.Ignore the negative reviews this hotel is fantastic.

Room Tip: Full sea view fantastic
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

We visited this hotel at Easter and think it must have just reopened as they were not ready for us. After 3 days we finally got moved to the room we had booked. The room we were first in was dirty and I pulled out a great wad of hair from the bath plughole and was so discussed we called the reception to have someone remove it. The wardrobe door slid off and the balcony door was broken.
There was a set menu for meals to start with which was poor which progressed to a buffet but this too was poor possibly due to the time of year. The breakfast was quite poor with poor selection.
This is about a 3.5 star hotel not 5.

Things got better once me moved to the Oceanside room which was a good standard.
We did contemplate returning in May due to the 2nd room being so nice but decided on going to Paphos instead where we found a gem and are hoping to go back to Pathos in Sept.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in the Great Beach Hotel. Location is fantastic just steps away from both the beach and the Protaras strip night life. No noise from the strip though:) The rooms are modern clean & tidy. We stayed on a HB basis I can say that the food was excellent. Ignore the negative reviews for this hotel, we will be returning.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I personally am not a review junky, I tend to keep my personal preferences too myself. HOWEVER..... rudeness is not in my preferred services!!

Upon check in, we allowed the receptionist to finish her conversation with the other staff member before interrupting. When we finally got her attention, she threw her money on the bench, looked at us and said "YES?" Just from the pure rudeness, instead of shouting, I burst out laughing! My husband then proceed to check us in stating, we better hurry up and leave the reception before we get slapped! Any interaction we had with the reception had the same attitude, but trust me, I didn't feel special...... this was the attitude given to all guests.....

At lunch time, we thought to eat in-house since we had just arrived. After ordering lunch and a lemon lime, I dared to question the bar waiter if there was lime our lemonade, to got the response "OF COURSE I PUT LIMMMMEEE!!" Jeez it was like I had insulted his family!! Pavlos the other waiter (the only STAR staff member I saw throughout the hotel) then proceed to bring us some extra lime. Pavlos was very polite! Bravo to him at least!

The adventure then continues down at the health club, I went to pick up some towels for the pool. The girl in the Health club requested I pay a €20 deposit for towels??????? In a 5* hotel, I have to pay a deposit for towels????????? I found that absolutely ridiculous!! Considering you have my room number, my name, my signature, you can just charge my room if you absolutely must charge, which I still think is something a 3* would do!! I expressed my surprise only to be informed "EVERYONE MUST PAY MADAM!" I just turned to my husband and thought this is not going to be the relaxing weekend we had planned considering in the space of 1 hour, I had been shouted at by at least 3 members of staff!!

On the positive side, the hotel itself is very well situated, we did not move the car all weekend. The food was very good.

Our room was a little dated but very clean, bed very comfortable and bathroom renovated.

The general look of the hotel reminds me of the 1920's, keep thinking Hercule Poirot was going to come round the corner! :)

In conclusion, I would say the hotel would be much much better if its staff were less rude and actually served with a smile once in a while, instead of having the verbal slap ready and waiting…. Working in a 5* property myself on another part of the island, I know hotel staff, and these guys were not normal!!

3  Thank stephv81