“Fantastic holiday!!!”

Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fantastic holiday!!!”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Me and my partner stayed at the Chrystalla hotel mid September'13 for 10 days. We have travelled all over Europe and this hotel is by far the friendliest place we have ever stayed in. Nothing is too much trouble for them and if you need anything you only have to ask and it is sorted out straightaway. The rooms were of adequate size, cleaned everyday with air conditioning which we had full control of. The food was also good. We actually missed the meal times one evening and the manager arranged to have a meal prepared especially for us which was very kind and not at all expected!!! The location of the hotel could not be better right next to fig tree bay and 2 mins walk to the main strip. We enjoyed it so much we are going back next year.

4 Thank Christine B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We very much enjoyed our 2 weeks in Protaras as the weather was wonderful, and we always make the best of things. The location is good, with beautiful beaches and a frequent, cheap bus service. Fun boat trips and water sports are abundant, as are pretty little churches to visit. Cycle hire is easy & both cycle and walking tracks are very good. I thought the Dancing Waters show was enthralling, although rather costly; we found Cyprus is no longer a place for ‘cheap’ souvenirs, clothes, or alcohol.
We chose this hotel after reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor, which lead us to expect 4 star standards for a very reasonable price. We should have known better! Our own expectations are not overly high, but the Chrystalla certainly failed to reach them. We dreaded meal-times. We give them only 2 stars, which is all they themselves claim.
Our main complaints concerned the food. On 'Grill Night', our expected 'steak' turned out to be a few dried-up halves of thin burgers, the chops and chicken were all gone when we arrived at 7.45 (dinner lasts till 9.30), when asked for more the chef looked non-plussed but eventually produced some small chicken nuggets. When we asked to see the manager he was said to be out.
Sometimes the evening meal was acceptable, but mostly it was not. My Wiener schnitzel was a pure lump of breaded fat. My partner’s lamb was 90% fat, gristle and bone. The vegetables were mostly frozen mixed veg, sometimes also burned, sliced courgette. Everything was often cold, especially the chips.
Deserts were mostly small hard apples or pears, or frozen bits of pomegranate, or jelly or something like angel delight. Not even ice cream. No cake. No soft fruit whatsoever such as grapes, plums or nectarines, no cheese & biscuits.
Breakfast bacon was mostly thick white fat. Eggs were either boiled or scrambled-swimming-in-water or over-cooked omelette-type in a large tray. NO fried or poached eggs. No 'real' cold meats such as sliced ham, only luncheon meat. No butter, only margarine. I never eat margarine. When asked for butter, the manager produced yet another brand of margarine, as though, despite being in the trade, he didn’t know what butter was. The coffee was so weak I bought my own Nescafé to add to theirs. The fruit juice was so watered down we didn’t drink it. There was no fruit at breakfast such as sliced melon etc. The only bread was sliced.
The music played all day long by the pool was so intensely aggravating that it was impossible for me to stay there. My partner managed to drown it out with his headphones as he is slightly deaf, but I could not. Passing other places nearby, I often heard pleasant music played, I also enjoyed the choice of music played on our boat trip, but Chrystalla’s music was both loud and dreadful. They made no attempt to adapt their choice of music to the guests, but relayed Agia Napa radio all day long.
Our room was basic but acceptable. The balcony was minute. We had to ask for a second bed-side cabinet. There was no chair. All toilet paper had to be put in a bin; the fridge was so loud we had to turn it off at night.
There was NO entertainment. The wi-fi (supposed to work everywhere) didn’t work in the room until half way through the second week.
A card in the room stated the Chyrstalla is 2 star, which we think fair, so how can Thomson or Trip Advisor give it 3 or 4 stars??

6 Thank Rutamartal
Wells
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have stayed at the Chrystalla Hotel many times over the years and have always enjoyed our holiday there. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from Fig Tree Bay, the bars and eateries in the town. Nicos and family are always friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are clean and tidy and the food is good, they do have to cater for many different tastes and sometimes the food might not be to your liking but that's life. There are sometimes things that need attention but all you have to do is let Nicos know and he will do his best to sort it straight away. The hotel may not be suitable for everyone but we love staying there, the friendly and welcoming reception we get makes the difference.

7 Thank Andy L
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Well this the 3rd time we've stayed here and it's better than ever. The hotel is a 2 minute's stone's throw away from Fig Tree Bay beach and 2 minute's away from the start of the quiet end of the strip. From the owner's Nicos and Kyriakos's warm welcome and the warm and friendly staff the hotel has clean and tidy bedrooms cleaned every day with clean towels if required. The food is a buffet service with a wide selection of food every night. The Hotel has a great pool area and this year free Wi-Fi and computer access has been introduced. This is not a five star hotel so don't expect it. Can't wait for my visit next year. Nick & Diane. Nottingham.

4 Thank Nick M
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I went to Cyprus for a relaxing week with my partner, and this hotel did not disappoint. The room was pretty basic, but had everything we needed and very clean. The pool was lovely, also very clean. The staff were so friendly and helpful, and the food was perfectly fine - we didn't need to eat out once. A stone's throw from the beautiful Fig Tree Bay beach, and also from the bars and restaurants on the strip, it didn't matter that the bar at the hotel was pretty quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a double bed if you want it, they don't have doubles in all rooms. Ask for a sea view to...
3 Thank Liz F
Česká republika
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Hello.. :) I am Karin I am from Czech republic.. I was in Cyprus 5 times I was in Agia napa, Paralimni and 3 times in Protaras I tried a lots hotels.. but Chrystalla is the best..I was alone on this holiday but in chrystalla are people like good friends.. I wanted hotel what staff is nice for me.. what they care.. what they do funny.. .and In chrystalla they give me this.and there was Czech staff this was nice they said me where is good place and etc.. I am sure next years I come.. I am looking forward.. Thank you all hotel Chrystala.. :) See you next year.. :)

Room Tip: Room is very good .. when I looked from balcony a saw sea... :) this was good morning.. :)
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Karin M
Cheddar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Cannot fault hotel, they went out of there way to make sure all was ok, could not fix safe but apologised also our air was leaking water, but that apart would go back there, well placed for beach and main strip without being noisy, we had 4 rooms for a family wedding and help us organise taxis too, loved every minute of our holiday

Room Tip: we paid extra for sea views and was well worth it
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family