“Great family run hotel”

Ranked #21 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great family run hotel”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

A bit late submitting this review as stayed last year but regardless deserves a mention as we had a lovely time.

I visited with my Mum on our annual mother & daughter R+R hol and were greeted with a smile in the middle of the night by the owner/father (apologies but cannot remember his name). The rooms were basic but completely adequate and were welcomed the next morning by a great cooked breakfast - every day if you wanted! The staff were lovely, the son maned the reception desk during the day and the daughter the bar - both very pleasant.

It was quite a walk into town/the beach but if you want your hotel on the doorstep then you have to pay a lot more. It was actually really nice having a hearty breakfast then walking to the beach. You need to get to the beach early - ish as very very busy and we sometimes struggled to hire a sunbed. The pool at the hotel was quite small and probably the only downside but you can't have everything! Stayed for the BBQ night which was plentiful and we also took a trip to Paphos which was well worth doing.

Would go back if I returned to Protaras : )

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank DonLeHon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Myself and my partner stayed in the hotel mid July for 2 weeks. We were welcomed immediately and as mentioned below bob never ever forgot our names!
BBQ night was a huge success and made our stay all the more enjoyable.
Rooms and facilities such as pool were clean basic but very adequate and the walk to town/beach was no more than ten minutes away. BOOGIES nightclub is a must go for all the youngsters that dont want to go to Ayia Napa.

A huge thankyou to all the staff, Bob, Christina, Emma, Nicky, Georgina, George and the two lovely girls and costa on the reception! (I remember too!)

The only small complaint we have is the way the non-family members of staff were treated - Nicky seemed to be continuously shouted at even though she was trying her very best, She was fantastic! Emma was also fantastic, absolutely brilliant although she seemed to get the worst of it, Bob spent the first few days of her holiday moaning at her that she would never get work out there and as soon as he employed her treated her less than expected for someone who continuously claimed he 'cared for her wellbeing' she was made to clean chairs in 40-50 degree heat in the direct sun when she could have been put in the shade to do it, she worked from 8am till 2am on the morning of the BBQ (so did nicky!!) and was moaned at, shouted at and lectured often before she made a rushed exit two days before the end of our stay at the Mandelena.

Overall a lovely place to stay but Bobby please take care of your staff!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Milly R
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed with my family in 24th of August for one week.Everything was very good.
The room was big with balcony and every day they were cleaning it. The aircondition was very good, the pool was nice and clean, the poolbar was very good too and also every Thursday there was barberque knight with karaoke.
The whole staff and especialy the staff at the reception was always smiling and ready to help you.
There was free wifi also at the lobby
I defenetly will go again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Bookcyprus.com

4 Thank Alexis X
Merseyside
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We arrived at the Mandalena early hours 13th August and was greeted by George (the owner) he and his family run the hotel. We have been here before so we just took the key and went to our room. The next day we met Nicky and Charley at the bar,they were lovely, then Bob came over and introduced himself!! Wow, he ranted on about how people had left him cards saying how much of a good time they'd had, told me to respect him or he would kick my [--]!!!!!!! He was completely over-the-top and very arrogant. We were in shock, in all the years we have been coming to the Mandalena this was the worst greeting we have EVER had.

We have been to these apartments many times and one year they closed which was very sad. I went on line this year and was overjoyed to find they had re-opened. The people who run the bar and kitchen back in the old days where welcoming, happy, nothing too much trouble, Bob was just awful from the minute we met him, he has got a lot to learn about how he treats people on holiday and what the title 'manager' means, it's about the paying customer NOT him, he is there to do a job NOT be entertained by us!! When we saw him he was either eating or on his mobile, very rarely did we see him behind the bar.

The second day Bob asked if we were to be joining him at his barbeque night, saying its the only night he has a drink so if we wanted to buy him one that's the night to do it!!!! We told him we would not be joining him on his barbeque night as we had made other arrangements, he was not happy and he let us know, ranting loudly that people would not be allowed to come if they asked on the day! (very unprofessional).

Myself and my husband are very laid back and enjoy a laugh but we did not enjoy our time here and will not be booking this hotel again, we stayed here for 7 years on the run and had a great time, great staff, great food and great entertainment three times a week, it seems now it's all about entertaining BOB! A few people there had told us others had spoke up to him because he was rude to his staff. It's a shame because the owner and his family are lovely, maybe they should take over the bar, I would definately come back then.

I have never had the need to write a review but I felt it necessary on this occasion.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SLB234
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We planned our booking since March 2012 in order to get a good price. The price was very good but when we arrived and checked in we were politely informed that there was an extra charge for each aircondition unit. Although I was informed that this was noted with some "small letters" in the online link we still expressed our disagreement. It is unacceptable to have the airconditing as an option since the weather conditions in summer do not allow you to stay in a room without it. Therefore you are forced to pay the extra money anyway. This charge must be included in the booking price.
Besides this issue the room was very confortable, the hotel staff was very polite and friendly . The room was cleaned daily with towels and sheets replaced twice every week. The pool area is very beatiful with the garden arround it. There is also Wi-fi support and book readers have the opportunity to borrow books for free - very good idea from the management.
There is also availability for breakfast, lunch and dinner at very good prices.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south are quieter but with no sea view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Bookcyprus.com

3 Thank CTheo432
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed at the Mandalena Apts in June 2012. The rooms were of a good size and had most things you would need to self cater adequately and were clean but basic,could do with some updating.

We booked through low cost holidays a half board option. On our arrival we asked how the half board worked, we were met by a strange look - it appeared no one had been to the Mandalena on a half board option! We produced our half board documentation and were assured that all would be ok. Breakfast was ok the problem was with the the evening meal. We felt like we were imposing because we were not paying (although we paid for half board) We didn't really get a choice and usually had what was being cooked that day.One day we were sitting in the eating area and were told ' well you have had what's on the menu do you want an omelette or kebab? I asked what meat the kebab was and was told pork or I could have chicken but was told that would be more expensive for them, in the end we felt embarrassed by the whole situation, If low cost holidays offer this option then there should be some liaison with the staff so that paying guests do not feel uncomfortable, I assume there is not enough money being given to the hotel, but that really wasn't our problem (we booked in good faith) We stayed half board at a different hotel during our last trip to Cyprus and had a huge choice of food(dinner included starters, main and sweet) Here we were made to feel that we should be grateful for whatever they offered us, The Mandalena is not set up to provide a half board option. Yes we would agree with some other reviews you can feel intimidated. Overall we would not choose to stay here again as we were made to feel very uncomfortable, like second class citizens just because we had booked a half board option.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tb27186273
Wallington
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed at the Mandalena during the last week of July after deciding to pay a surprise visit to my daughter who was in Ayia Napa with her friends. This was my first time travelling alone and I didn't want to stay in Napa but within a reasonable distance. I booked this holiday very last minute and was worried that as a single traveller I would be staying in a broom cupboard - I couldn't have been more wrong - what a lovely place this is - had a fantastic room overlooking the pool and from my balcony I had a sea view and also a view of St Elias Church. The room was quiet and very clean with towels changed daily. I only wish I had been able to stay longer and would love to go back. Unfortunately due to my travel arrangements I was unable to go to the weekly barbecue on Thursday evening but judging by all the preparations this is a highlight every week and Bob was making sure everything was ready. All the staff at the hotel were friendly and welcoming and I didn't feel at all out of place being on my own. The main Protaras area is a 10 minute stroll away which is an enjoyable way to spend a evening.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool give the best view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo