“Excellent friendly apartments”

Mandalena ApartHotel
Ranked #23 of 65 Hotels in Protaras
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Me and my fiance have just returned from a two week stay at these apartments (15/09/2013 to 29/09/2013),I would agree with other people that it is value for money, the apartment was huge with a seperate living area and bedroom we was on the right hand side (room 215) above the bar we had a lovley view of the church on the hill and had a view of the pool and sea and had no problem with noise from the bar,The food was fantastic we was half board and ate breakfast and dinner there for the whole two weeks and could not find anything to complain about we got a three course dinner each night and you could have a full english breakfast in the morning,Panicos who runs the bar and cooked the food was so friendly and made us feel at home as soon as we got there also george who works behind the bar is a good laugh and so friendly he even recommend certain wines to have with my evening meal,Everyone in the hotel is so friendly and could not do enough for us on our last day we had the room till 16:00 as we had a late flight and they only charged us 2 euros a hour to keep it on from midday.I will recommend these apartments to anyone who wants a good value holiday with extremely friendly people, great service and food.

Thank you for making our Holiday a fantastic one !

Room Tip: Rooms on the right side have a pool view and get the sun from morning until about 17:00.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Just returned from the Mandalena Apartmentsts Stayed Sept 14th to 25th, in a 1 bedroom apt. Room 319, a good apt on the top floor ( 3rd) overlooking pool, the church on the hill and sea in distance.
The staff are very friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble.
The apartment was spacious and clean although the beds are quite uncomfortable, we mentioned this at reception they gave us a feather quilt to put over the mattress , this did help slightly.
For what you pay I don't understand how people can moan!!
Will recommend to family and friends, and possibly return in the future

Room Tip: Room 319 good views
1  Thank TracyLOUG
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at the mandalena for two weeks and definitely would say is value for money. The rooms although basic were very clean. The food was lovely but most wonderful of all was the customer service. The hotel is a family run one and what a delightful family to, they could not help us enough... Infact they did all they could to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Very sweet and we and our family who have all stayed here would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Cossie77
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We stayed Sept 2013, we wanted a basic budget hotel,and that's what we got.Rooms are cleaned and bed linen changed every day,reception staff are very friendly,( Marie and her "sweet heart friend" no sweet I beeter !!! " were a credit to the Hotel.Strip is about 15 mins away but pubs / restaurants are about 10 mins leading to the strip.The food is average and the bar prices are about average,2 euros for a soft drink,but they are served ice cold( just what you need on a hot summers day).The pool is kept clean and is nice and cold.Sunbeds at this time are plentiful but at peak season ??All in all if you want luxury accommodation,closer to the strip, stay elsewhere and pay the price.If you want basic reasonably priced comfortable accommodation and don't mind a little walk,Then I'd recommend The Mandalena.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are generally quieter as pool bar opens at 08:00 and the Morning piano music( I s...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul65Atherton
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Generally fits the mould of spartan but clean Greek hotels. Staff all really friendly and helpful. Good location for the Strip. Small but very clean pool.
Wouldn't want to stay if it was really busy as the grounds are limited for sunbeds. We arrived late and the guy running the bar did us a couple of cheeseburgers at 11.40pm which was very welcome.
My only critiscism was the other inconsiderate guests who made considerable noise on their balconies well into the early hours. I never mind people having fun on holiday but they probably don't apprecaite me waking them at 7.00 next morning!

1  Thank PauloB_Tewkesbury
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Our 2nd stay at this apartment - hotel but I must say that unfortunately standards have fallen slightly in the 2 years since our first stay here.
The pool needs cleaning more than the once a week during our stay!
By day 5 or 6 the water level was low, water was very cloudy and floating foaming scum was visible on the surface, blown by the breeze and gathering in the corner of the pool. Leaves I can put up with but not scum. I complained to reception about this. We choose timely visits to the beach or went on trips on these days before pool cleaning!
Shrubs around the pool were overgrown and in need of cutting back to the borders. The path to the tennis court and rear fire escape were almost completely overgrown. Also the grass areas were cut once a week and looked overgrown by day 5.
Excellent reception facility manned 24/7 by very friendly and very helpful staff.
Safety deposit boxes at extra cost cost - 10 euros per week or 15 euros for 2 weeks.
Air conditioning at extra cost - 5 euros per day.
Free wi-fi but could only get strong enough signal within actual reception area. No wi-fi signal at all in the rooms.
The rooms are large, clean with individual balconies and good views from 2nd or 3rd floor but sparsely furnished with very old fashion wooden furniture and very hard creaky twin beds.
Kitchen area was very basic with a 2 ring hob, no oven, a kettle, fridge, sink and only basic and minimal pans, crockery and cutlery - typical low end self catering. No problem for us - we didn't cook in the room.
The one single wardrobe was inadequate to house our clothes for 2 people for a fortnight. Drawer space was adequate.
Rooms are made up and cleaned daily with towel change and clean sheets every 3 days or so. We found this adequate although the towels were worn and had seen better days.
The bathroom / wc is poorly lit with no natural light and a noisy extract fan but was adequate.
The shower over the bath has low water flow but hot water 24/7, again adequate.
The TV and TV reception in the room was terrible. Old portable CRT type TVs with mainly snowy picture (terrestrial tv only - no sat tv) and no dedicated English programs!
Pool bar was closed for 1 day whilst they changed the staff. I found the pool bar prices expensive. 2 euros for a can of coke was a bit rich. The new pool staff were friendly enough and doing their best to work with what they had.
We enjoyed our holiday but we will try to find alternative accommodation for our next stay in Protaras.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great sea views.
1  Thank Laurie A
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Firstly I didn't really want to mention Bob as he no longer works at the Mandalena but after reading all the nasty things about him and his family, I thought I'd give my opinion too! Bob is a genuinely nice family man, his lovely wife and daughter also worked with him. I'm quite disgusted about some of the reviews I read about his wife Christina as they are simply not true, very nice women who in my opinion made great food. Anyway, enough about that, on to the hotel. The rooms are basic, very spacious and overall kept very clean. All except the floor, when you get out of the shower make sure you've got something to put on your feet as the bottoms will be black by the time you've walked from the bathroom to the bedroom. The reception staff are all very nice, friendly and helpful. The pool bar was taken over at the beginning of our second week by a fellow called Panicos. Very nice man, attentive to his customers and if there's something you want that's not on the menu, just ask and he'll get it in for you the next day. The older fellow, George who serves as bar man/waiter is absolutely lovely too. Considering they had to start from scratch after Bob left, they are doing pretty well and had really begun to find their feet by the end of their first week. The only issue I had with the pool bar being taken over was the price hike. Water went up by 200%!!! When we arrived at the Mandalena 1.5 ltrs of water was €1, when Panicos took over, small 0.5 ltr bottles of water were charged at €1. Also the price of food also increased but the portion sizes decreased and in my opinion were not of the same quality as Christina's food the first week. However, I pointed a couple of things out to Panicos on our last day and he seemed grateful for the feedback and i think he took it on board. Location is great, 10 min walk from both the main strip in Protaras and Pernera with some good restaurants on the way. So to sum it up, the hotel is in a great location, with great staff, good rooms and decent (if not a little pricey) food. My only advice to anyone thinking of staying there self catering is that, due to the economic problems Cypus has had, there are no decent supermarkets close by as they've all closed down. Besides a couple of small kiosk shops, the nearest supermarket is possibly 10-20 min walk, which no one really wants to do on 40 degree heat

• Stayed: August 2013