Stayed at villa irina for 11 nights in June 2017.
The main point to raise is security and safety at this villa.
On our third night we were burgled. And took all of my jewellery after rifling through drawers and got around £600 worth of valuables.
A window was forced open and entered through the bathroom window downstairs and left via the patio doors. This is not the first occasion of a similar event and there have been several incidences recently in the area where they are watching people leave and then going in. A hire car is also a give away and it is glaringly obvious from the end of the street if you are out during the day or night because of seeing straight through the gates.
Overall this ruined our holiday and sadly I had anxiety every evening about our safety and at 5 months pregnant this was very stressful.
When I eventually started to feel slightly better - exactly a week later -Someone had been into the grounds and left the gate open and walked around the back area to see what they could have from us again, even stealing a beach towel from us, very unnerving knowing someone had been back and walked around the house again.
The company who run the villa were initially helpful after the first incident offering to move us - but we decided to stay instead (even though I wanted to go home) and they immediately fitted extra locks on the flimsy patio doors the next day so they don't budge at all now and also repaired and fitted extra locks on the forced window. They promised to fit an alarm 2 days later however that never happened for the duration of our stay and was one of the reasons I had based my decision on staying.
Unfortunately on the 4th night of our stay whilst vigorously trying to ensure everything was secure we got locked out of the villa as the front door is a deadlock and as the key had been left in the door we had to call the emergency number and actually break in. The door frame was left fairly insecure which after being burgled was unsettling and despite us asking about this being repaired several times nothing was done about this for the remainder of our stay which meant we had to put a chair behind the door every night for a week and hope for the best. It was the most stressful holiday I've ever had.
When we called to say that we had had another incident of someone lurking around they thought we had already left and gone home, however had still left the property insecure by not fixing the door.
As for the villa itself we were a little disappointed as the pictures online seem to show the villa as being more luxurious than it is. Points that were disappointing are as below
- squashed bug marks on walls and ceilings not cleaned before arrival
- Cobwebs throughout the house
- Blinds are tatty and catch when rolled up
- Dining chairs unstable
- 3 tatty sun loungers with holes in as well as 6 good matching ones - why??
- "Gas BBQ" advertised is in fact a coal BBQ
- Different parasol in garden to the picture - it is older and bolted to the floor so cannot be moved
- Pool net is a cheap fishing net not a real pool net - this means pool is always full of bits and a fishing net won't collect these we didn't mind cleaning it but we needed the proper tools
- Large chunk of stone missing from patio which is a safety hazard
- Even the light shades are different!
- Table and mirror in main bedroom is not there
- The wardrobes are useless for using unless you are 6ft tall to reach the rails
- All of the rooms and cupboards smelt like they hadn't been used in months on arrival
- No information book about pool cleaning days bins local area how to use appliances etc
- Wifi does not work upstairs
- Window frame in main bathroom is decaying and peeling
- Grouting in all showers is filthy
- Pool filters not fitted correctly and kept coming off - safety issue as I nearly fell in the one on the side and hurt my foot and my husband stood on a large screw in the pool.
- Pool filter is loud for most of the day
- Pool lights didn't work
- Pool had a large scum line around lining that's not attractive
- Pool needed filling in on our arrival so we bought a hose pipe to do this ourselves as levels were very low
- "Sprinkler" system is a hose bent over at the back of the pool that isn't fixed to anything and just pours water out toward the pool filter
- Safe is extremely small for a 6 person villa
- Positives .....
- The villa was in a good location to shops and protaras
- Quiet area
- pool area is large and has the benefit of sun from early morning until sunset so lots of sunbathing can be done.
- The tv has lots of channels and movies if staying in ....for fear of being broken into again.....!
- Dishwasher and washing machine are useful
- Large downstairs area
We stayed in a villa down the road last year and would rate that one as much much higher.
Sadly due to our experience i don't think we will be returning to the area or even Cyprus itself.
I have never had any safety issues elsewhere and to have things stolen twice in a week has put us off.
For the cost of this villa it needs a bit of tlc and upgraded security also.
Good luck if staying here!!