“great view and property...very poor service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Monte Coxala Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jocotepec
Monte Coxala Spa
Ranked #5 of 7 Jocotepec B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“great view and property...very poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

The property and view are fantastic. The service was ridiculous. We only ordered drinks as we had heard the food was not good. Drinks took over 20 minutes and no other people there. Only about 20 staff??? WTH? Funny part was when we called for our car (have to valet for 30 pesos) the guy bringing the car down -we saw him pick up another staff member and bring them down in our car and drop him off just before reaching us. Funny but not really. View and property were excellent. Everything else.....not so good. Cheers and happy eats.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vivafood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chapala, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

We took some friends there who had only been in town a week. The views and grounds are incredible and you start thinking that your entire experience here will be first class. Big mistake. We ordered drinks and when my margarita arrived I tasted it could tell there was very little tequila in it. Also, it was the smallest margarita that I've had in my nine months of living in Mexico. I commented on the lack of tequila to Oscar who was in charge of the kitchen help. He laughed it off and said it contained a double shot. To me his reaction was condescending and rude.
We order dinner and all five dinners were disappointing. Grossly overpriced and mediocre in every way.
Bottom line: I would NEVER return here for any reason except to admire the great views.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank emery o

Travellers are raving about these Jocotepec hotels

Ajijic, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stunning venue, absolute perfection in architecture and style. We were recently at the restaurant for a friends birthday celebration, 20 guests. We were disappointed by the service, the help is nice enough, but they don't work as a team and fail to have a leader. Waiters in conversation and horse play as service is lacking. Our meals were fairly good once received, but given the very high prices and the poor service we won't return based on our overall dining experience.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Fools4Food
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband spent 1 month volunteering at a Children's shelter in nearby Chapala & I came down (from the U.S.) to visit him over the Thankgiving holiday 2011. We wanted some alone time & he spent several days touring multiple hotels/B&B's offering hot/mineral spring packages, this was by far the most expensive but after he saw it in person he booked our 1 night stay which cost around $300, I was extremely nervous but had to trust his judgement. I absolutely loved this place! We arrived around 11 am, but could not check in until 1 pm, but this was no problem, our "package" included use of the thermal springs & a massage for each of us. We were given a tour of the property on a golf cart & shown around the property, then we were taken to the spa area where we were given a locker, with a robe, bottled water & set free to explore the waters. There are only 11 rooms at this property, and we were 1 of only 2 coupes staying the night (the hot springs can be visited without staying at the property for a reasonable price, so there were a few other people on the property but we rarely saw anyone & did not have to share our pools we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves! I don't remember our room name or # but it was a 2nd floor corner room with a jacuzzi, OU possibly?? We had a direct view of the lagoon straight ahead, mountains to the left & the property/restuarant to the right, we were surrounded by beauty!! There are no tvs, phones, interruptions, just a serene peaceful atmosphere. They do have a mini fridge, with juice, soft drinks, beer, wine with a price list. I think a beer was $2? After a day spent in the relaxing waters we had our massages during sunset. We had dinner at Vita Bella (a 5 minute walk) which was amazingly delicious. We had breakfast at the restuarant on the premises Chac Lan, it had a beautiful view, but nothing terribly special on the menu, so we decided to have a light brkfast & repeat @ Vita Bella for lunch. All in all I recommend this place especially if you are truly looking for a peaceful getaway with your significant other, or even yourself. ***I do not recommend this place if you have problems walking, lots of steep stairs, walkways...***

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cma d
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My wife and I drove (on a whim) from Guadalajara to Monte Coxala around Christmas 2011 to spend some time in the hot springs. It was an amazing experience. The springs were out of this world, the service was attentive and the property was perfectly manicured. I will certainly be going back to spend a lot more time here.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Justin E
Burnaby, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Some friends took me to this restaurant when I was in Mexico last December. It is situated inside the Hotel & Spa complex and has a really nice view of Lake Chapala. However that is all that it has going for it. I had to wait about 35 minutes just to get my drinks. The food took well over one hour. The food was overcooked and tasteless. The waiters there can't take an order, even if you repeat it a few times. They still got it wrong. I've never experienced such terrible service in a restaurant anywhere. The prices are on the higher end of the spectrum and when you compare them to the quality of the food and service, this is highway robbery.

Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
9 Thank ajmalo
Guadalajara, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2011

The place is beautiful, the views you get from the lake are incredible all around the hotel and especially from inside the room,.. there's no phone or TV in the rooms but i think it's better that way to disconnect from the world, the rooms are clean and pretty, the bathroom and shower area doesn't have a door for privacy and the shower has a see trough door glass so maybe for couples it's ok but it was uncomfortable for me, The SPA is great I got a great Facial and an incredible Holistic Massage, after the treatments the therapists prepared us tea in the garden to watch the sunset and it was great, there's also a studio for yoga but i never used it, the thermal waters are clean and good. Now.. my complaints are: the bed mattress is hard as a rock, the staff... is cheerfull, kind and attentive but only when someone its there, there's very few people in charge or something, we wondered around for hours trying to find someone to help us get to the thermal water area, and when we got there for our own exploring.. we needed towels and there was no one there to help us get towels, to my knowledge there's no place where you can go and ask for towels and robes, and I found out that many of the guest there prefer to take their own room bath towels to use outside in the pools of thermal water, the air from the mountain is cold and its horrible to get out the thermal waters without towels to keep you warm........at breakfast the same things happened, we got to the restaurant and no one was there, finally we found a lady setting up tables, we said hello and told her we wanted breakfast and she ignored us, so we sat down on one table and waited and waited for almost 30minutes and no one came to assist us, so we left to have breakfast in another restaurant in town. This place is perfect for a romantic getaway because at night its beautifull and I guess that if you are with your loved one there's no problem if there's no one around. Near the hotel there's a beautiful restaurant named La Vita Bella, the food is excellent, great quality, great view, great atmosphere.. i think it's my favourite place in the world now and it's somehow related to the hotel I Highly recommend to go there.

• Stayed December 2010
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank KrolinaGdl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jocotepec
El Chante Spa Hotel
#3 of 8 in Ajijic
Quinta San Carlos
Quinta San Carlos
#1 of 7 in Jocotepec

Been to Monte Coxala Spa? Share your experiences!