“Between mountain and sea”
Review of Filoxenia

Filoxenia
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Kalamata
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Excellent location..you can walk by the sea and go to the center of the city of Kalamata in 20 min.I like everything there...the room ,the AC, breakfast ,staff,entertainment ...especially the night with capoeira show...I recommend Filoxenia for special holidays between the famous Taygetos mountain and the Ionion Sea .

Room Tip: Sea site room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Elsi T

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here for a week in August and intend to return next year.
The location is excellent - the hotel is directly on the sea-front (you can park at either and use both) and Mount Taygetus rises directly to one side of the hotel providing a dramatic and inspiring backdrop.
The rooms were clean, well-maintained and of a reasonable size, and the food was plentiful and (for mass-catering) reasonably diverse. Breakfast in particular was very good.
The staff are friendly and efficient (but see below for reception staff)
There is a good sized pool and always space on the (pebble) beach. Both have sun beds and canopies - and the tree around the pool were also a useful source of shade.
A special mention must be given to the friendly and energetic children's entertainment team - they were loved by our 7 year-old daughter.

I have only two gripes:
1. A small number of children, seemingly abandoned by their parents, decided to use the main public area as a playroom - hammering away on the piano and playing football in the reception. The hotel staff simply stood by and watched (until I asked them whether this was the hotel reception or a football field) - not acceptable.
2. The wi-fi connection is pathetic. It is non-existent in the room and unbelievably slow in the public areas. The connection is simply not up to coping with the number of people wanting to use it. I really wish hotels would NOT advertise that they 'have wi-fi' unless they know it can cope with the expected demand - which in a hotel of 185 rooms could be up to 200 simultaneous users since just about every guest seemed to have a tablet and/or smartphone. (This is why I have clicked 'No wi-fi')

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Docksider55
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was my first visit to Filoxenia on a recommendation from a friend. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel exceeded my expectations. The entertainment team was excellent with different events and activities scheduled throughout the day and night for kids and adults. Kudos to Andrei and the rest of his team. My two children thoroughly enjoyed the time they spent with you.

Having read some of the other reviews, many of the things listed as negatives are things I have commonly found to be the norm at several of the hotels in Greece that I have stayed at. The important thing to know is that the rooms are clean and the facilities are adequately maintained. The Breakfast Buffet is one of the largest I have seen in Greece, although the egg selections were not that great. Ice cream and snacks are available all day for kids. Also, keep in mind that you are in Greece in the middle of peak season, the hotel will be crowded and service will be slower than one might be used to, but I lend that to being more of a cultural thing as Greeks are ever in a rush to get anything done.. The only thing I was really disappointed with was the wi-fi signal which was nonexistent inside the rooms. Even going out to the balcony did not always help. It seems that the closer you got to the lobby the better the signal was.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cpanos1
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I expected a little more after looking at the website. Once there I noticed that the rooms weren't quite as nice as they seemed. There is painting and cosmetic issues that need to be addressed. The pool area was beautiful! The only thing I didn't like is that the kiddie pool has not easy way for a child to get out once they get in. There are no stairs or ladder small children have to be lifted in and out but it was kept very clean. Get a chair early they tend to run out. The beach is all rocks no sand so bring water shoes and it gets deep quick a bit scary with children. The water is beautiful and calm in the early morning and evening but can tend to be rough the rest of the day.
The food was good, lots of choices even for healthy eaters. I think an extra waiter or 2 would be nice as a lot of times we had long waits for drinks or had to get our own silverware etc.
The childrens camp if you want to call it that was somewhat lame! The art supplies were scant and everything was running our or dried up (markers, paint etc.) The table for the children to do activities was a little table for maybe 4 children so many time there would be 12 or more children they were all squeezed in and juggling for space. The toys are worn and need to be replaced. A higher end hotel should upgrade this area. The playground was pathetic don't waste your time awful!.
The entertainment team which also runs the children's "camp" were all very sweet and really got the kids dancing.
The maids were very friendly and helpful.
The gym was very limited with only 1 tread mill and outdated equipment and 1 tiny tv to watch. I didn't get to try the spa but it looked nice but with limited hours.
Wifi was sporadic I couldn't get it a lot of times. The tv is outdated if you plan on watching we didn't.
The second bathroom was tiny and had no place to put any of our cosmetics we had to put them on the floor and then the shower would over flow which wasn't a big deal as it is all tile with a floor drain.
If you plan on using the sleep sofa it is pretty small, the mattress is pretty thin I think its just a IKEA couch.
Don't plan on top notch accommodations. But all in all it was quite suitable for our needs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank allycliff
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Although the waiters, service is very good and polite, although the entertainment team is very very good with the kids, although the ladies who work upstairs in the play room with the kids are very good, this hotel does not worth the money. Mid august a double bed room costed 200euros per night including breakfast and one meal. For such cost i would expect a lot more than the above, meaning:
-the breakfast area can not hold so much people, the result is that you can wonder around for five minutes or more trying to find an empty table, and maybe you will not, it happened to me. I told it to the reception, with no comment for an answer
-the dinner although it has quantity, the quality is not good, it is more like a massive catering approach and not suitable for a hotel in that price range. The result is that after a couple of days you want to eat something better than "plastic".
-the private beach in front of the hotel, the umbrellas are small , leaving the sun just to pass by, the sea has rocks and is very deep, not suitable for kids.
-the corridors of the hotel that lead you to the room are like a two start hotel.
-wi fi is not available in the rooms, there is no signal, again this is a joke for a hotel of such price range.
-balconies, several of the, have remainings of bird nests or actual bird nests
-room sounds, from 8 clock in the morning you wake up, cause to sounds from the cleaning ladies, obvious the hotel doors are not sound stoppers, there is also gap between the room door and the floor.
-tv set: an old crt tv that i had some years to see
-room furniture , some items look new but some looks old, the room is very boring in colors and also all the walls are empty except one boring picture hanging above the tv.

In general i can say, very polite and very helpfull people working in the hotel, but the food was plastic in flavor, you can not find a table in breakfast peak, sea in front of the hotel very bad so you only have the pool which has lot of kids and noise...and 200 euros per night for a double bed with one meal is a very big joke. The management of the hotel should re think about their food, their set up and quantity of breakfast tables which is also a joke, the crt old tv... Maybe is the last hotel in this range is palaiolithic tvs... And the room and corridor decoration which is very very boring.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Aramis-Klo
Filoxenia_Hotel, General Manager at Filoxenia, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear guest ,

I would like to thank for staying with us and for your comments that really help us.

I feel sorry that you find our food plastic since the majority of the comments of our guests are positive and all the products we use are from certified companies and of the highest standards and quality.

I also feel sorry that you were not satisfied with the delay of 5 minutes in order to find table in our breakfast room, but I think it is an acceptable time of waiting in a rush hour in any hotel during the high season.

The choice of earthy colors in our rooms and corridors are offering tranquility and relaxation. Decor has been chosen by experienced architects and designers, but we still feel sorry that it was not suitable to your taste.

I would also like to inform you that our beach umbrellas are brand new and sun proof with no sun penetration and our pebble beach is located in one of the best spots of the Messinian gulf in the foot of mount Taygetos with crystal clear waters.

At the end I would like to thank you for your comments about our staff, since we really proud for our personnel and our companies highly standards of training and our service minded orientation.

I would like to thank you once more for your comments that for us really matters and I am looking forward to welcome you again in Filoxenia Hotel soon.

Best regards,

Konstantinos Siokos

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent in every way great room, gardens, entertainment team, employees,service, food, clean, respecting and friendly had a second honeymoon with my husband the children I saw we're all ecstatic dancing and singing the parents relaxed! Wi fi great, free, beach great , the sea was magnificent and the swimming pool was clean. I will definitely go again next year for more than 7 nights! The entertainment team is also for adults in the evening with different games etc, even have yoga lessons for free in the gardens!

Room Tip: All rooms have a garden view and half of them also have a pool view I prefer the garden as more disc...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This hotel has absolute beachfront location right at the end of the Kalamata seaside 'strip' and it makes the most of its perfect position and the beautiful coastline that it is on.

From a large and spacious lobby to good restaurants and a magnificent resort pool it has all the facilities that you need for a lovely family summer vacation. It even has its own private beach club with sun loungers and beach umbrellas where you can swim in the crystal clear waters of the Mediterranean.

The rooms are spacious, clean and well appointed with a very good size bathroom and good toiletries. Breakfast is perfect with lots of choices and the best part about the breakfast room is that you can choose to sit inside or outside and still get a lovely seaside aspect.

The staff of the hotel are very helpful and for us it was an extra bonus to have a room with a balcony that gave us a magnificent view of the pool area and the sea beyond it.

You can spend all your time at this resort if you want to but of course you do need to get out and explore all the wonderful things that Kalamata has to offer. Next time, I will stay longer at this hotel for sure.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family