“A shabby hotel in the middle of nowhere!”

Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bingley
Luxembourg
“A shabby hotel in the middle of nowhere!”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I spent two nights in this hotel as a part of a coach travelling company and I must say I hope I will never have to stay there again. The hotel was chosen as a distance compromise between York and the Lake district and I would have gladly slept in two different hotel in order to have escapted the Mercure experience.
But first things first. The Mercure hotel is presented as a charming manor with modern annexes (modern as in early eighties and never renovated). It is charming, the entrance room very posh with a beautiful wooden staircase but that's it.
A lift is in the modern annexe on the right side but if you are an unlucky person, like me, you are on the second floor in the modern annexe on the left side of the manor and the manor is connected on the first floor with the annexe on the right side. It's sounds complicated but it is easy, half of the rooms on second floor cannot be accessed by lift. We were promised help, (my luggage weighed 21kg) and help materialzed when I finally made it to the second floor and I declined it then, arguing that I didn't need help rolling my suitcase down the corridor.
My single room waslarge but shabby, there were two slight fissures in the wall and some rust stains. The TV was new, there was everything to make tea and coffee and there was access to Wifi, but I don't know if it's free, not having used it. Water pressure in the shower is a bit low, you better have some time when you shampoo your hair and be careful when climbing out of the bathtub, it's not so easy.
My second shock came when I shook out my bathtowel there was a brown stain on it the size of my hand and the smaller towel showed signs of make up (I don't use make up.) Those were probale stains that didn't come out in the washing, but those towels can't be used again! I found as second, clean set of towels in the old wardrobe, the hairdryer was also hidden there.
The stunning view outside my room was over some sheds and just a few meters away was the motorway, giving you a noise background noise that you can fully profit due to the old, badly fitting, single glazed windows. The bed was perhaps a bit hard, but comfortable enough.
The first evening our menu was quite indifferent, not bad, but nothing to rave about. Drinks are extremely expensive and I can't get used to it that you have to collect them yourself from the bar, carry it through a corridor and the lobby to the restaurant and pay an arm and a leg for it! And if you want/need a large bottle of water in the bar, you have to insist, they do sell it but they always try to fob you off with two smaller ones. The second evening the menu was much better and they also offered us a coffee to finish it.
Breakfast was ok, the personnel there very helpful, but stay clear of their hot chocolate, it tastes like a cacao/hot water/ovomaltine mixture. The rest was perfectly adequate for an english breakfast, but no continental person will ever get used to english toast bread....

Room Tip: Insist on a calm room with access to the lift!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service and standards on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that I have reviewed your feedback with the management team and direct action has taken place to ensure the shortfalls in service and standards are rectified. Unfortunately due to the layout of the building we do struggle with the location of the lift however if we are aware in advance that lift access is required we will try our best to allocate an accessible room.

Once again thank you for your feedback, I do hope that this experience has not permanently marred your opinion of us and that you will consider returning to our hotel in the near future.

Emily Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Turkish first
Teeside
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We chose this hotel so that we could visit Saltaire and the Bingley Flight. It is very near to both these splendid historical sites which were well worth visiting. We had booked through "Red Letter Days" to use a present our son gave us for Christmas. This is not recommended. Red Letter Days do not allow you to select a specific date, you have to nominate three and they choose, and we found that the room could have been obtained at significantly less cost by going to Mercure. Having said that the Mercure chain seem to actively discourage talking directly to the hotel .As for their reward scheme I find it impossible to understand and use.

We had come across the Pennines on the M62. The journey across to the hotel, courtesy of TomTom, was via the Bradford ring road. A horrible busy journey with lots of difficult junctions and many inconsiderate drivers. Not a pleasant experience. On arrival the first impression was of enormous car parks, The hotel consisted of the smart old house with two relatively modern wings built on. The old house was a bit drab but did have some good period features. We were given a very acceptable room in one of the wings, but it had a tree growing directly outside so there was no view (of the car park) and little light. The very helpful staff moved us to a similar room but on the other side. This had a good view of trees fields and hills. The room had obviously been a smoking room at one time. There was evidence of cigarette burns on the carpet. There was smell of smoke. I believe that a lot of smokers think that they can get away with a smoke in the bathroom because there is an extractor fan. This is a selfish nasty thing to do. I am not anti-smoking as such but I wish they would not do it in places that it is forbidden and where I have to suffer it. To help get rid of the smell we had the window open. After dark this really attracted the flies such that they were swarming over celling and walls, but a helpful member of staff came promptly and cleared them, using window cleaner and a big rag! Apparently there are wet areas on that side of the hotel so insects can be a common problem. However the room was well-equipped, spacious, clean and everything worked. The bed was large and very comfortable.

The dinner was a hectic affair for the poor member of staff who was running the whole show. The restaurant was fairly Spartan, and lacked any atmosphere as only half of it was in use. The food was very ordinary, not to the high standard that I would normally expect from Mercure. In particular the fish cake starter was un-inspiring and barely warm. The waiter was so busy that it was impossible to draw it to his attention so I put up with it.. Breakfast was adequate but the baked beans were congealed and the eggs were probably nice when put out two hours earlier. However the prawn and crayfish sandwich I had for lunch was truly excellent and good value. Sadly my wife's chips were very poor value

Overall 3 blobs is perhaps a bit generous, but the staff were nice, the room had potential and the sandwich showed what could be done! .

Room Tip: Cannot think of one!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Norherner
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed to hear that not quite everything was satisfactory during your visit. Please be assured that direct action has been taken in regard to your feedback to ensure that the issues highlighted are rectified.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, I will share your comments with our team.

I do hope that you will return to our hotel when I am confident you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospitality.

nottingham
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Stopped here on a Saturday night and we were very pleased with the hotel it is set in lovely grounds.I would definitely recommend room 129 which is quite large with table and chairs and a sofa,lovely large bed tea and coffee etc.We had no problem with noise although we were out till quite late.Breakfast is buffet style and served till 11am which is great .There was plenty of choice and was added to regularly and was hot and tasty.The staff all are very pleasant I would definitely recommend well done and thanks

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review, it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Derbyshire
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights and had a most enjoyable stay. Our room was slightly old-fashioned in its furnishings - plenty of open shelves for clothes, but no drawers, and no safe. But the beds were very comfortable and the bathroom facilities were excellent. Breakfast was superb, with helpful and friendly staff.

The only serious problem is that the lift is a long way from reception and is not mentioned by the reception staff unless you ask. At our age we do not want to have to carry our luggage up the impressive staircase! It is close to a second entrance/exit, however, so it is easier to bring the luggage in that way after checking in!

Room Tip: Rooms on one side of the wing where the lift is have a beautiful view over meadows and trees, with r...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and feedback. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would agree that the lift is not in an ideal location however I will of course ensure that the front desk team inform and direct guests to the lift and the alternate entrance on check on.

Thank you again for your review and I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Emily Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bingley
Mercure Leeds Parkway
#1 of 2 in Shipley
Five Rise Locks Hotel
Five Rise Locks Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bingley

Been to Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel? Share your experiences!