“Satisfactory Stay”

Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bingley
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Very nice hotel.Stayed over a week while looking after relative living nearby. Reception staff excellent, very helpful. Beds comfortable nice firm mattress but not too hard. Unfortunately due to 3 weddings during our stay sleep was not possible until after 12.30 when music stopped. May have been position of room. Guests were noisy returning to rooms after nights entertainment. Not hotels fault but maybe notices reminding guests to be quiet in corridors might help. Would recommend hotel and will definitely stay there again, but will ask for room away from bar area and ballroom.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Sue9282013
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and your postive feedback regarding your stay. I will ensure your comments are discussed with the team as I am sure your feedback will serve as further encouragement as we continue to imporve our service and standards.

Please be assure that your feedback regarding the noise disruption will be reviewed with our Reception Manager to ensure rooms are allocated accordingly and guests not attending events are in quieter rooms.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I had paid for a room for 3 nights even though we were only sleeping in the room for 2 nights so that I could check in early as were in town for a wedding. First we were told we didn't have a reservation and were given the impression of being fully booked so we couldn't book another room. When our reservation was finally found we were put in a room that hadn't been cleaned (even though I had also paid for this room the night before). We were moved to another room. Then we were told we hadn't booked a table for dinner (I had pre paid). It was only after the staff in the dining room helped us that we were asked to sign in. If there had been an emergency would they have known if we needed help etc? We were not apologised to (only after I left a review from the manager) but not offered any compensation. Also, hotel looks lovely in pictures. Just don't look to the left as you come down the drive. What looks like a block of flats has been added to this lovely building.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your recent stay with us. It is disappointing that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

Please be assured that your previous feedback and the feedback contained in this review has been discussed in full with the team and direct action has been taken to ensure no future reccurance.

I can only apologise that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and hope that you will consider returning in the future when I am confident that you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospitality.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here at the beginning of September 2013. We were going to a party just a few miles away from the hotel. When we arrived we were directed to our room. The room was lovely: spacious, immaculately clean, and warm. Upon getting to our room, I realised there was no coffee maker (we had paid to upgrade to a superior room which included this) and the films on the TV were coming up as costing £7 each to watch (should have been included free as part of our upgrade). I went down to reception, and the lady could not have been more helpful. She apologised, and told us to feel free to watch whatever we wanted, and that she would get a coffee machine sent up straight away. I had no sooner got in the room, when a lovely young man arrived (again, apologising for the oversight) with the coffee machine and coffee pods, and showed me how to work it. The films available were fab...they even had The Conjuring showing - a film I had watched at the cinema a week before. We had a few drinks in the bar before we went out that night. Lovely atmosphere. For a relaxing break at fantastic value, I would definitely recommend this hotel. All the staff we encountered couldn't do enough for you, and it was always service with a smile. Congratulations on your customer care...you should be very proud to have such a fabulous team running your hotel.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade to a superior room. It's only a few pounds more expensive, but you get a pos...

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review, it is always a pleasure to recieve positive feedback from our guests.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to be able to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Basic. We dined in the restaurant in the evening. It was empty. The food was ok although we waited 45 mins I between courses. We wouldn't go back. The staff on reception were helpful and the interior of the hotel is lovely.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments regarding the staff and the interior of the hotel. However I am very disappointed to hear that the evening meal and the restaurant did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Please be assured that direct action will be taken to make further improvements to the service and expecerience in the restaurant.

Once again thank you for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed for 2 nights while visiting family in the area. There was almost an error with our room allocation, as the computer system was not working properly, and the room number updated as we were about to leave reception. We were directed to our room, but I do not recall any offer of help with our luggage, or directions to a lift. Although the reception area and public rooms are quite smart, the upper corridors are very shabby, with tired paintwork and stained, well troden carpets. The room itself was clean & comfortable, although the "double" bed could have been larger. Food wise, dinner was good, if a little pricey, waitresses to be commended, as they were very busy catering for a coach party, as well as other guests. Breakfast not to the same standard. Some plates on the hot counter were being put to one side as they were gritty, and those that were clean were apparently cold. The cold buffet was satisfactory. Overall, not our worst hotel experience ever, but not the best either.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments regarding the standard of the rooms and the service provided at dinner.

Please be assured your feedback regarding the breakfast service and condition of the corridors will be reviewed and action taken to make the necessary improvements.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I spent two nights in this hotel as a part of a coach travelling company and I must say I hope I will never have to stay there again. The hotel was chosen as a distance compromise between York and the Lake district and I would have gladly slept in two different hotel in order to have escapted the Mercure experience.
But first things first. The Mercure hotel is presented as a charming manor with modern annexes (modern as in early eighties and never renovated). It is charming, the entrance room very posh with a beautiful wooden staircase but that's it.
A lift is in the modern annexe on the right side but if you are an unlucky person, like me, you are on the second floor in the modern annexe on the left side of the manor and the manor is connected on the first floor with the annexe on the right side. It's sounds complicated but it is easy, half of the rooms on second floor cannot be accessed by lift. We were promised help, (my luggage weighed 21kg) and help materialzed when I finally made it to the second floor and I declined it then, arguing that I didn't need help rolling my suitcase down the corridor.
My single room waslarge but shabby, there were two slight fissures in the wall and some rust stains. The TV was new, there was everything to make tea and coffee and there was access to Wifi, but I don't know if it's free, not having used it. Water pressure in the shower is a bit low, you better have some time when you shampoo your hair and be careful when climbing out of the bathtub, it's not so easy.
My second shock came when I shook out my bathtowel there was a brown stain on it the size of my hand and the smaller towel showed signs of make up (I don't use make up.) Those were probale stains that didn't come out in the washing, but those towels can't be used again! I found as second, clean set of towels in the old wardrobe, the hairdryer was also hidden there.
The stunning view outside my room was over some sheds and just a few meters away was the motorway, giving you a noise background noise that you can fully profit due to the old, badly fitting, single glazed windows. The bed was perhaps a bit hard, but comfortable enough.
The first evening our menu was quite indifferent, not bad, but nothing to rave about. Drinks are extremely expensive and I can't get used to it that you have to collect them yourself from the bar, carry it through a corridor and the lobby to the restaurant and pay an arm and a leg for it! And if you want/need a large bottle of water in the bar, you have to insist, they do sell it but they always try to fob you off with two smaller ones. The second evening the menu was much better and they also offered us a coffee to finish it.
Breakfast was ok, the personnel there very helpful, but stay clear of their hot chocolate, it tastes like a cacao/hot water/ovomaltine mixture. The rest was perfectly adequate for an english breakfast, but no continental person will ever get used to english toast bread....

Room Tip: Insist on a calm room with access to the lift!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service and standards on this occasion.

I would like to assure you that I have reviewed your feedback with the management team and direct action has taken place to ensure the shortfalls in service and standards are rectified. Unfortunately due to the layout of the building we do struggle with the location of the lift however if we are aware in advance that lift access is required we will try our best to allocate an accessible room.

Once again thank you for your feedback, I do hope that this experience has not permanently marred your opinion of us and that you will consider returning to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We chose this hotel so that we could visit Saltaire and the Bingley Flight. It is very near to both these splendid historical sites which were well worth visiting. We had booked through "Red Letter Days" to use a present our son gave us for Christmas. This is not recommended. Red Letter Days do not allow you to select a specific date, you have to nominate three and they choose, and we found that the room could have been obtained at significantly less cost by going to Mercure. Having said that the Mercure chain seem to actively discourage talking directly to the hotel .As for their reward scheme I find it impossible to understand and use.

We had come across the Pennines on the M62. The journey across to the hotel, courtesy of TomTom, was via the Bradford ring road. A horrible busy journey with lots of difficult junctions and many inconsiderate drivers. Not a pleasant experience. On arrival the first impression was of enormous car parks, The hotel consisted of the smart old house with two relatively modern wings built on. The old house was a bit drab but did have some good period features. We were given a very acceptable room in one of the wings, but it had a tree growing directly outside so there was no view (of the car park) and little light. The very helpful staff moved us to a similar room but on the other side. This had a good view of trees fields and hills. The room had obviously been a smoking room at one time. There was evidence of cigarette burns on the carpet. There was smell of smoke. I believe that a lot of smokers think that they can get away with a smoke in the bathroom because there is an extractor fan. This is a selfish nasty thing to do. I am not anti-smoking as such but I wish they would not do it in places that it is forbidden and where I have to suffer it. To help get rid of the smell we had the window open. After dark this really attracted the flies such that they were swarming over celling and walls, but a helpful member of staff came promptly and cleared them, using window cleaner and a big rag! Apparently there are wet areas on that side of the hotel so insects can be a common problem. However the room was well-equipped, spacious, clean and everything worked. The bed was large and very comfortable.

The dinner was a hectic affair for the poor member of staff who was running the whole show. The restaurant was fairly Spartan, and lacked any atmosphere as only half of it was in use. The food was very ordinary, not to the high standard that I would normally expect from Mercure. In particular the fish cake starter was un-inspiring and barely warm. The waiter was so busy that it was impossible to draw it to his attention so I put up with it.. Breakfast was adequate but the baked beans were congealed and the eggs were probably nice when put out two hours earlier. However the prawn and crayfish sandwich I had for lunch was truly excellent and good value. Sadly my wife's chips were very poor value

Overall 3 blobs is perhaps a bit generous, but the staff were nice, the room had potential and the sandwich showed what could be done! .

Room Tip: Cannot think of one!
1  Thank Norherner

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed to hear that not quite everything was satisfactory during your visit. Please be assured that direct action has been taken in regard to your feedback to ensure that the issues highlighted are rectified.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, I will share your comments with our team.

I do hope that you will return to our hotel when I am confident you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospitality.

Emily Cox

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bingley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#4 of 27 in Bradford
Five Rise Locks Hotel
Five Rise Locks Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bingley

Been to Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel? Share your experiences!