“Decent Hotel, good for overnight stay”

Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bingley
Gainsborough, United Kingdom
“Decent Hotel, good for overnight stay”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed there one night in October. Plenty of car park space, reception was slick and staff very helpful.
The room was fine and clean and the bed comfortable. I did not use the restaurant therefore cannot comment however breakfast was well presented and very nice.
Check out was efficient with very polite and helpful staff.
I would certainly use it again if I was in the area

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review, it is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests.

I am pleased to hear that we met your expectations, I will ensure your comments regarding the team are discussed and reviewed with the team as I am sure your comments will be motivational as we continue to make improvements to our service and standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Emily Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Turkish first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

The Hotel is very grand in appearance with lovely gardens and surroundings. It is set back from the road so is always reliably quiet.

Reception is very welcoming and made sure I had everything I needed. The Rooms are adequate - at least on a par with the prier inns of the world, and sometimes better if you opt for an executive level room.
Only tricky is access - if you don't like or have difficulty with stairs ask for a downstairs room, although they are more than happy to help with bags, as with any traditional grand houses, they weren't planned with easy access in mind, but more for grand appearances on the staircase.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel comfortable.

I will ensure your feedback is reviewed with the team as I am sure this will act as further encouragement as we continue to make improvements to our service and standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is the second Mercure I've stayed in which has modelled itself as a country house hotel and I have very similar comments to make. The staff are very good and the food was far better than expected, but the hotel is in need of renovation. The carpets are worn, the cleaning wasn't perfect, the TV system is very poor and there is no air con / heating system that is easy to control. After initially being given a small and dingy room I enquired about upgrades and moved to a four poster room which was excellent, but the bathroom was not what you'd expect for a room that is effectively a honeymoon suite and there was no fridge in the room.

The restaurant, while serving decent food, lacks the atmosphere the food deserves. I ate here more because of the convenience than because of being drawn in.

The one big problem had to be the fire alarm at 3am one night. Having stayed in hotels with deafening fire alarms going off in the middle of the night before, I appreciate that this is not something the hotel can necessarily be held responsible for, but there was no apologetic note under the door the next morning or notice posted for guests to see as they headed out - little touches that I've received at every other hotel I've stayed in when a fire alarm has gone off.

It wouldn't take much to make this hotel very good, but it's the little things that stop me rating it any higher than average.

Room Tip: Definitely worth upgrading from the basic rooms. Room 102 is a great room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GarethK95
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it is always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests. I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and the quality of the food, I will ensure this is shared with the team.

In regard to your feedback about the condition of the public areas we will ensure that this is taken into consideration and action taken to make further improvements.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back again in the near future.

stranraer
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We booked this hotel for 4 nights when visiting family in Bradford. We managed to get a very special rate and it proved to be extremely good value. The room was clean, warm, modern and comfortable and had all the amenities that we required. The only complaints about the room were that the toilet had a very poor flushing system and the noise insulation between interconnecting rooms was very poor. Breakfast is always a major issue when we go away as we run a guest house and pride ourselves on serving an excellent breakfast. We are very critical of hotel breakfasts which usually fall short of our expectations. Not on this occasion however, there was a good variety of food which was of a good quality and well cooked. Our only criticism would be that it should have been hotter... and I wouldn't recommend the porridge, it was undercooked and cold. If we can find similar rates when next visiting family in the area I wouldn't hesitate to book here again.

Room Tip: Interconnecting room was very noisy. Ask for a room that doesn't have an adjoining room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BandBStranraer
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations and that you had a pleasant visit.

We do look forward to you staying with us again on your next visit to Bradford.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to attend a wedding fair nearby and we thought it was wonderful! The outside is beautiful and the rooms are great! We had a rather large room with a sofa and a table in aswell. The bed was comfy and it was all clean. The bathroom was clean and the shower was modern, the only thing was the shower curtain sticking to you ick!! You get shower miniatures and tea and coffee making facilities. It's definitely worth paying the extra money for the breakfast, we did as we weren't sure of the surrounding area (as we usually don't bother) but it was lovely. It was hot, tasty and a good spread of food. It's table service/self serve.
I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank AmieLouise
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will of course share your review and feedback with the team as we continue to make improvements to our service and standards.

I do hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed one night here on a business trip. The room was in one of the newer wings and was clean, comfortable and modern. The main building is much older - lots of heavy oak panelling and doors, most impressive. The chief jewels in the hotel's crown are the staff - absolutely everyone was beaming with welcoming smiles, and nothing was too much trouble for anyone.
I have a customer near this hotel, and will be visiting again in the future - I will certainly be back as the whole experience was very easy and pleasant, and it was excellent value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Janey H
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team as I am sure that your comments will be motivational to the staff as we continue to make further improvements to our service and standards.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Milnthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The receptionist helpfully tried to process our booking in quickly as we were drenched and cold after being in a downpour then driving for nearly an hour. But the reception area was cold and quite dull, tucked away behind a wall (probably to keep the draughts out) The room was large, clean and warm when we turned the radiator on. The bed was enormous, and comfortable, with lovely soft pillows. The bathroom was clean with a bath and fixed shower head over it. It was also very quiet, when we looked out in the morning we were at the back of the new block with lovely views across a valley. The tv was on when we entered supposedly to give us a welcome message but it was flickering very badly. Within a few minutes we received a phone call from reception to check if all was well, so we mentioned the tv, just 5 minutes later a technician arrived and reset it, it was probably due to the severe thunderstorm. We thought that was very efficient. We had booked an evening meal but because the receptionist said we would have to wait for a table we decided to eat in the bar, big mistake. Firstly it was very cold with doors open at each end, with wedding guests coming in and out from outside, they were also very noisy but did eventually go off to the function room, but we had to wait a long time for the meal, we tried to change to the dining room but it was full with a coach party so we would never have been able to eat there anyway. The food was good, though the dessert looked like it had been thrown onto the plate, not what you expect in a hotel like this. Luckily we were in the right hand wing of the hotel, the wedding guests were obviously at the other end, other guests said how they were disturbed in the early hours
. The breakfast next morning was lovely with lots of choice, well cooked and kept hot. We did have problems checking out when they tried to charge for the meal which we had prepaid on booking, they had also tried to charge in the bar so be aware if you pay in advance. We would probably stay again, making sure we were well away from any late night party goers.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the new wings should be the quietest with nice views if away from wedding parti...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that on this occasion we did meet most of your expectations.

I can only apologise for the poor service and quality in regards to your evening meal and in the reception area. I will of course ensure that direct action is taken to make further improvements to these areas.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back again in the near future.

Emily Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bingley
Mercure Leeds Parkway
#1 of 2 in Shipley
Five Rise Locks Hotel
Five Rise Locks Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bingley

Been to Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel? Share your experiences!