“Worst Hotel I have ever stayed in”

Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bingley
“Worst Hotel I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The website makes its look really appealing, however the truth is the rooms are outdated along with the fixtures and fittings. Clearly the hotel is struggling as they had the most skelton staff imaginable, meaning we could not get a drink at the bar and breakfast was impossible to get timely service. For the prices they charge you would expect a certain level of quality don't be fooled by the website just book somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nick B
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. I would welcome further details of your stay so that I can review what actions we can take to make further improvements. I would ask for you to contact me directly on 004gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk.

I do hope that you will consider returning in the future when I am confident that you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospitality.

Yours sincerely,

Emily Cox

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Turkish first
Middle Earth
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here for a week with work recently. On the positive side, the hotel staff were absolutely lovely and without exception friendly at all times. My room was cleaned daily, really well. The hotel is obviously popular locally as there were school proms on most nights and people were having lots of fun. The main reception and building are very striking, but this is where it ends, the carpets and rooms need refurbishing, there was a skip full of mattresses outside my window so they may have started this already somewhere, beyond the skip was a beautiful view of hillsides and I could see the sun setting from my window. The window was covered in black algae around the edges, and you had to touch this to open the window. There was a very old fashioned box on the wall, and although it was switched on, there was no temperature control - it was on full or off - and it just blew out air the same temperature as the room anyway, so on a hot week it was very stuffy.

The bed linen was clean, cotton, white and fresh to sleep in and the bed was comfortable despite being old. Sadly the breakfasts were awful for me, it was mainly cooked meats, greasy sausages , and rubbery cheese. I will stop here because I don't want to be overly critical. I don't know what other options there are, but this is staffed by lovely staff who work hard to make it a nice stay, but it does need some attention from those that have the money. I wouldn't choose to stay here again for work or pleasure, but then this was booked for me and I don't think I would have chosen it myself in the first place. Sorry Mercure Bradford :(

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CashmereTraveller
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am very disappointed that on this occasions not everything was to your expectations. Please be assured that we are taking direct action to make further improvements and address the comments in your feedback.

OnI do hope that you will consider returning to stay with us in the near future when I am confident that you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospoitality.

Emily Cox

Travellers are raving about these Bingley hotels

United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very busy - seemed popular wedding and party venue, breakfast excellent, dinner O.K., staff efficient, rooms comfortable (but very warm). Good car parking and pleasant grounds.
Overall I would recommend this hotel as decent value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your recent visit, I am very pleased to hear that you and your group enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights the staff were so accommodating for a big party of us. Peter on the front desk was so helpful and I think the staff really make the experience a load better. If I was returning to saltire I would stay here again. Food reasonably priced and pizza was lovely

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, it is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will ensure your comments are discussed with the team as I am sure this will serve as encouragement to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

If you want to stay in a hotel where
- your bedroom (room 101) is above a party and disco and you have no chance of getting to sleep because of the excessive noise and vibrations through the floor. We were initially told that it would finish at 10pm but that changed to 11pm but it went on to 11.25pm.
- where you are put in a separate room for breakfast and evening meals where you have to go and find someone to give you a menu and take your order and have to go into the main restaurant yourself to get items which were not provided in the separate room.
then this is the hotel for you.
The hotel was very busy with conference delegates over the 3 days of our stay and a party on the Wednesday which is why we could not eat in the restaurant. That I could accept but not when we did not receive the same level of service that those attending the conference and party received.
We would have given this hotel a "terrible" rating had it not been for the friendly demeanour of most of the staff.
We felt like second class citizens and like the TV series we would like to consign this hotel to "Room 101".

Room Tip: When you book check if they are having any parties/weddings and make sure you get a room as far away...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

I would like to assure you direct action will be taken to ensure improvments are made in the future.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the team.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in the future.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed one night in one of the privelidge rooms.The purpose of our stay was to meet up with friends who were down from Scotland attending a wedding nearby.

The staff were friendly on arrival.The room large with all the luxeries mentioned and quiet with a view over fields.It was spotlessly clean.

We had a drink in the bar prior to our meal.There is a drinks menu offering cocktails .I ordered a belini and was told you could only have sparkling wine by the bottle.I showed the young man the menu,there was no peach juice so no berlini I notice apperol so ordered that.The young bar attender had no idea how to make one up.I gave up and had a gin and tonic.I suggest the staff should be trained in how to serve coktails.It wasn't the young man's fault he just had no idea.

The meal was very good.we were shown to a small room upstairs instead of the main dining room.There was a coach party,but still lots of empty tables.The little waitress who had to run up and down stairs to serve was a joy.

Breakfast was good.

Apart from the cocktails it was an enjoyable stay

Room Tip: Choose a privelidge room it's worth the extra
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Polly65c

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will be motivational to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our service and standards.

Please be assured that our bar team will undertake further training in order to ensure we are able to provide all cocktails listed on the menu, I am sorry that we were unabel to provide this during your visit.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Emily Cox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bingley
Mercure Leeds Parkway
#2 of 3 in Bingley
Midland Hotel
Midland Hotel
#2 of 27 in Bradford

Been to Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel? Share your experiences!