“Mediocre at best”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bingley
Reviewed 30 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

There are newer reviews for Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Attended this venue for a wedding in June. Booked family room for 3 via late rooms which was supposed to consist of a double bed plus a sofa bed for a child.

On arrival I was told there were no family rooms left so we were given a standard double room with a z bed. Went to check out the room which was very small and they couldn't actually fit a z bed in it. So we were moved to another which they could. My gf went to the room later on and there was a very loud fan vibrating sound from below. Mentioned this at reception and was told it was the extractor from the kitchen and it goes off about 10-11 pm, not much good with a 4 yr old child and asked to be moved. I was told there were no other rooms available, I explained this was unacceptable and the girl went to check with manager, they could offer me £ 10 off ??. I said I'd prefer to not stay and drive home instead afterwards, ill have my money back. After much deliberation girl at counter said we can be moved to another room, ok that's fine moved everything again. Worst bit .. arrived back at room late evening expecting to put child to bed.... no z bed in the room ! Went to reception again to demand this gets sorted asap which it did.

The problem with the rooms from start to finish was unacceptable and did impact quite a lot on what I thought should have been a dead straight forward hotel night. Maybe if you get the right room you'll have an ok time, but I certainley won't be returning. I think the hotel is under staffed and lacks proper managment, some rooms, as I saw a few, a bit shoddy.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KirkLazarus
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am very disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. I would welcome further details of your stay so that I can review what actions we can take to make further improvements. I would ask for you to contact me directly on 004gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk.

I do hope that you will consider returning in the future when I am confident that you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospitality.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The website makes its look really appealing, however the truth is the rooms are outdated along with the fixtures and fittings. Clearly the hotel is struggling as they had the most skelton staff imaginable, meaning we could not get a drink at the bar and breakfast was impossible to get timely service. For the prices they charge you would expect a certain level of quality don't be fooled by the website just book somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nick B
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here for a week with work recently. On the positive side, the hotel staff were absolutely lovely and without exception friendly at all times. My room was cleaned daily, really well. The hotel is obviously popular locally as there were school proms on most nights and people were having lots of fun. The main reception and building are very striking, but this is where it ends, the carpets and rooms need refurbishing, there was a skip full of mattresses outside my window so they may have started this already somewhere, beyond the skip was a beautiful view of hillsides and I could see the sun setting from my window. The window was covered in black algae around the edges, and you had to touch this to open the window. There was a very old fashioned box on the wall, and although it was switched on, there was no temperature control - it was on full or off - and it just blew out air the same temperature as the room anyway, so on a hot week it was very stuffy.

The bed linen was clean, cotton, white and fresh to sleep in and the bed was comfortable despite being old. Sadly the breakfasts were awful for me, it was mainly cooked meats, greasy sausages , and rubbery cheese. I will stop here because I don't want to be overly critical. I don't know what other options there are, but this is staffed by lovely staff who work hard to make it a nice stay, but it does need some attention from those that have the money. I wouldn't choose to stay here again for work or pleasure, but then this was booked for me and I don't think I would have chosen it myself in the first place. Sorry Mercure Bradford :(

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CashmereTraveller

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am very disappointed that on this occasions not everything was to your expectations. Please be assured that we are taking direct action to make further improvements and address the comments in your feedback.

OnI do hope that you will consider returning to stay with us in the near future when I am confident that you will experience our usual standard of care, welcome and hospoitality.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very busy - seemed popular wedding and party venue, breakfast excellent, dinner O.K., staff efficient, rooms comfortable (but very warm). Good car parking and pleasant grounds.
Overall I would recommend this hotel as decent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your recent visit, I am very pleased to hear that you and your group enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights the staff were so accommodating for a big party of us. Peter on the front desk was so helpful and I think the staff really make the experience a load better. If I was returning to saltire I would stay here again. Food reasonably priced and pizza was lovely

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, it is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will ensure your comments are discussed with the team as I am sure this will serve as encouragement to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

If you want to stay in a hotel where
- your bedroom (room 101) is above a party and disco and you have no chance of getting to sleep because of the excessive noise and vibrations through the floor. We were initially told that it would finish at 10pm but that changed to 11pm but it went on to 11.25pm.
- where you are put in a separate room for breakfast and evening meals where you have to go and find someone to give you a menu and take your order and have to go into the main restaurant yourself to get items which were not provided in the separate room.
then this is the hotel for you.
The hotel was very busy with conference delegates over the 3 days of our stay and a party on the Wednesday which is why we could not eat in the restaurant. That I could accept but not when we did not receive the same level of service that those attending the conference and party received.
We would have given this hotel a "terrible" rating had it not been for the friendly demeanour of most of the staff.
We felt like second class citizens and like the TV series we would like to consign this hotel to "Room 101".

Room Tip: When you book check if they are having any parties/weddings and make sure you get a room as far away...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, I am disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

I would like to assure you direct action will be taken to ensure improvments are made in the future.

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the team.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Emily Cox

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bingley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#2 of 3 in Bingley
Midland Hotel
Midland Hotel
#3 of 27 in Bradford

Been to Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel? Share your experiences!