“Hotel ok if you like 1970's architecture but absolute rip off at breakfast.”

Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bingley
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Hotel ok, just want to advise that if you go down to breakfast as I did without 'pre-booking' then they charge £13.95!!!!
I told them I won't bother but as he'd asked if I wanted tea or coffee whilst taking me a table, they insisted charging me £3 for the coffee which I didn't want, and didn't have.
I stay in a lot of hotels with my job and this kind of charging really really p*sses me off.
I certainly won't be staying there again which is a shame as it's ideally placed for the meetings I have with my customer in Crossflatts.

Room Tip: Rooms ok, breakfast elsewhere!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Hello
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us regarding your stay at our hotel. I have written to you about your stay.

We do offer a large selection of items in our breakfast area. Toast, fresh baked bread rolls, jam and marmalade, cereals, milk, fruit juice, selection of meats and cheeses, fruit yoghurts, probiotic drinks, pastries, a delicious selection of cooked breakfast or freshly prepared from the kitchen smoked haddock, kipper, eggs Benedict, porridge or poached eggs. We offer unlimited supply of speciality teas, breakfast tea and freshly brewed coffee.
Whilst the price of the above is £13.95 as published on the menus on the tables, we offer on arrival or via the online booking channels and on our own websites an option to purchase a pre paid breakfast for £10, and we also offer tea and toast for £4.25 in the breakfast area.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on my wedding night and although there was another wedding at the hotel, so honeymoon suite booked, they still put flower petals on the bed with chocolates too.

Spacious, well equipped room and lovely view over fields.

Breakfast was good and plentiful and the staff were brilliant.

Would definately stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Helen1003
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Hello, thank you for your great comments about your stay at the hotel. I am pleased that we surprised and delighted you.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a lovely stay at the Mecure hotel in Bingley. The hotel was beautiful and the staff were fantastic! The breakfasts were really nice and we received ours for free ! I would definitely recommend.

Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hello and thank you for your kind comments about the hotel. I look forward to you coming back to the hotel in the future, we might even charge your breakfast his time.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Ended up at this place as a result of a booking mix up by Holiday Extras, as we really wanted to be nearer to Leeds/Bradford Airport as we were flying out on holiday and wanted to avoid any travel issues brought about by the visit of the Tour de France.
First experience was of the receptionist who gave a very good impression of having a bad smell under her nose in talking to guests....not off to a great start, but things really went downhill when we tried to have a meal in the restaurant only to be told that there was a wedding taking place, and that bookings were not being taken for restaurant tables until 8pm......but we were able to have a meal in the bar.
The bar (and staff) turned in a performance that was so spectacularly inept as to be "off the scale".
Whilst waiting to be served, the barman was taken to task over the bill by a customer who was explaining that she had been charged £31 for a bottle of wine that should have been £13. Then a second customer was overheard to say that he too had been overcharged. When my turn came, I was firstly astounded that a glass of "house" rose wine was charged at £7.40!!!! Steep when you can buy a perfectly drinkable BOTTLE of rose for around £7. Next, I ordered a meal, and when presented with the bill, (already forewarned of the barman's mathematical abilities) I could not get his total to agree with mine. Then a French lady member of the hotel management appeared, and she too failed the arithmetic test miserably.
It was NOT until I went through the bill, item by item with her, that she ultimately managed to get the correct total.
Now it would be wrong to give the impression that these errors were intentional, but is is worthy of note that EACH bill query was as a result of an overcharge!!!

On a positive note, the food, when it arrived was really good, I had a burger, and my wife had a steak, both cooked to perfection, but the whole experience of the bill total, and having to eat at a bar table, made this simply unsatisfactory.

We have stayed in many French owned hotels, and they have all, without exception performed better than this one. The final point is that there were a number of personnel from French TV (who were covering the Tour de France) staying in this hotel whilst we were there, so god knows what they made of the "English Version" of a French hotel.

Room Tip: My top tip for getting a good room would be to try somewhere else!!!
1  Thank Alikat24130

Hello and thank you for your comments regarding the hotel and your stay. I will conduct an investigation about your comments about the bar service recieved, clearly this is not acceptable. We are installing a new till system which will eradicate any possblity of incorrect billing. I am pleased that the food quality in the bar was reasonable.

Regards

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel as a base for our coach touring holiday of Great Yorkshire Railway journeys. The location was very handy. The hotel was very good. The room was excellent, comfortably,clean beds comfortable. The food in the restaurant was very good, service good by the staff. The staff where very accommodating and friendly. Certainly would stay again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for your great comments about the hotel, a great base to enjoy the historic railway hertitage in the region

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Good evening. myself and husband and daughter stayed here for 2 nights and overall we were happy with our stay.The only complaint we have is with the visit for the evening meal.we were told by a member of staff named roisin that there was no room in the restaurant for us and told to go to the bar.She was very rude and had an appauling attitude! Another member of staff named sue then came to get us to say there was plenty of room in the restaurant and she was friendly,happy and more than happy to serve us in the restaurant. Once seated we were given drinks on the house by Sue and she made our evening very welcoming! Sue was one to one with our young daughter making sure had everything she needed including her teddy! Please pass on our thanks and comments to sue but please advise the other member of staff that swearing is not acceptable when stood in the restaurant entrance and manners come at no cost!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hello and thank for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased that Sue looked after you and your family during your stay. I am looking into your comments about our other team member and apologise for thier behaviour, I will take appropriate action when our investigation is completed. I hope that you will return to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel as a treat for my birthday. I had booked an accessible room in the hope of being able to have a shower during my stay, and certainly wasn't disappointed. As someone who is not able to get into a bath, and unable to stand in a shower, it was wonderful to find that there was a sturdy shower chair that I could use (only the third hotel in 10 years that I have found with this facility!)
The room was good and very clean, but a little hot - if we continue to have warm summers hopefully the hotel will consider putting fans in the rooms!
We had a bit of disturbance one night when the fire alarm went off at around 11pm and the hotel had to be evacuated. There didn't seem to be anyone in overall charge of clearing the building or directing people where to go. Thankfully a false alarm, confirmed by the fire service, but maybe the management need to have a think about how this unexpected event could have been handled better - no real fault of the hotel, no-one really expects this to happen, but just in case ......

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the front of the hotel and was fine. Disabled facilities, excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
004GM, General Manager at Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hello and thank you for great comments about our facilities. I will take on board your comments about the night team training during the fire evacuation. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Peter Dodd

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bingley
Ibis Bradford Shipley
#4 of 27 in Bradford
Five Rise Locks Hotel
Five Rise Locks Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bingley

Been to Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel? Share your experiences!