“Traditional and friendly”

Oakwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bingley
“Traditional and friendly”
Reviewed 3 November 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very traditional and parts of it could do with re-decoration but this is more than made up by the friendliness and helpful staff the were very welcoming and did the little things well. The room we were in was a bit cold the heating was on but it was a large room with a three seater settee in it so mixed blessings cold verses room size. The gardens are very nice too

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We went to a family get-to-gether at this hotel last weekend. We were not sure what to expect as the hotel was chosen for the event by someone else in the family and we are from out of the area.
After missing the turning for the hotel and ending up at the nearby housing estate, we arrived at the venue, wow what a first impression - its beautiful, very 'olde worlde' manor house looking. The lady at reception was very welcoming and friendly. Both my fathers room (number 20) and ours (number 4) were clean, comfortable and elegant. I loved the mattress on our bed it gave me the best nights sleep I've had for a long time (even stripping the bed to find the name-Myers Aqua charm!) We had a family meal for 24 in the private dining room, the food was very good choice of 3 for each course, I had Melon, Roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding (huge!!) and trifle. The menu had been specially chosen by the 90 year old birthday boy. The waiters were attentive, polite and topped up our glasses with wine when necessary. Food was hot and plenty of it. My only criticism was the cauliflower with what I presume was cheese. It tasted uncooked and as if it had just been waved in the microwave with a economy cheese slice melted on it. My husband had pate, Chicken in white wine and leek and trifle. His main was not as big as mine but he said it was nice. I cannot comment on the price of the meal as The Birthday Boy paid for it (thanks Donald!) Breakfast was very nice, a help yourself to cereals, range of fruit, yogurts and juices with waiter service for hot selection, tea coffee and toasts. Nothing was too much trouble again, and the staff were happy to let us relax and chat after. The decor I thought was modern, yet keeping in context of the old building and clean. I did however notice a few water marks on the edge of the ceiling of the lounge and stains on the wall of the dining room from where a drink had been spilt, they were not that noticeable though and I've probably been watching too much 4 in a bed or hotel inspector! The gardens were well kept and secluded. I think it would make an Ideal and very beautiful wedding venue. One of our party had the bridal suite and it looked lovely when I had a quick look in their room.
To sum up, I felt as if I was staying in a posh friends manor house where the lady of the manor treated us all like good friends, yes I would defiantly stay again.

Room Tip: From what I saw all rooms looked nice, my dads was on the ground floor (no 20) it was quite a walk t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Annem2602
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

Just spent the weekend here and it was lovely. Staff were welcoming and very attentive. Only ate breakfast at the hotel but it was lovely. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2012
London
Reviewed 7 May 2012

The hotel is in an impressive building, our room was spacious and clean and good value. The woman at reception was very helpful and friendly. I would recommend the hotel, if you're only going to stay, just don't eat there, unless you want to be paying alot for mediocre food.

A group of us ate here, and this is what happened...

Food - the hotel has a restaurant, a very overpriced, poor quality offering. Missing ingredients on 3 dishes, mixed up orders. The food would have been fine/bearable (not brilliant) if they weren't charging £10 for a starter and £20 for a main course! Ridiculous prices for what is essentially a notch down from a gastropub. Dishes were hit and miss, some were ok, whilst others were too salty and overcooked, side vegetables were straight out of the 1970s.

staff - have an odd familiarity with you, being called 'playmates' at dinner time is ridiculous and not what I'd call excellent service. Orders were wrong, and being playfully told off when you put a moth-eaten napkin on your own lap, isn't cute, it's rude.

Wine glasses were filthy around the rim and the tablecloth had some holes and old wine stains. The room is really tired decor wise and I got the sense the napkins were just folded up again after people had eaten.

Night porters - inappropriately butting into private conversations with inane facts, not just once but over and over again. Totally weird and annoying.

I'd give the hotel itself a 3 for the room but a 1 for the food experience. All in all it was like a cross between faulty towers and the league of gentlemen.

Room Tip: Try and get one with a four poster bed. Cleanliness was marked down for the restaurant not the room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank LeeDlondon
Hampshire
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a family wedding. The wedding was very well organised by the hotel helping to make it a beautiful day. The staff were all very helpful and the wedding meal was excellent and served professionally and with great care. The room was comfortable and clean but not very warm, the heating seemed seemed ineffectual. Some effort is needed to improve the presentation of the hotel, large wheelie bins and skips at the front of the hotel give a bad first impression as does broken furniture on the impressive landing with the famous stain glass window.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SukeeHampshire
preston
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Well what can i say apart from please please ignore the negative comments.This is a stunning Victorian hotel beautifully maintained in well maintained gardens. From the minute we arrived nothing was too much trouble. Our rooms were ready, check in was really fast. When we arrived in our room it was lovely and warm clean traditionally decorated with the most beautiful carved furniture. Our friends rooms were equally as nice very large with four poster beds magnificent. We ate in the hotel as we were on business a la carte or table dhote available all freshly cooked and served in the most stunning dinining room with crystal chandaliers hanging from the ornate ceilings.
Breakfast was included and the choice was fantastic, again freshly cooked to order.
The staff all were so friendly and funny and made our stay one to remember we wouldnt hesitate in returning again and would definatly recommend to our friends.

Room Tip: room 1 has a four poster bed
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank holly100
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

The building and grounds are absolutely fantastic, it is a complete shame that the management have allowed these beautiful surroundings to be totally denegrated by the unprofessional staff who were rude, disrespectful, and unhelpful. I recently attended a celebratory family function there, not only was the meal served very late, but the menu displayed incorrect celebration details. The final insult was that I was asked extremely curtly by one of the waiters (Mark) to take my seat in the restaurant as he was very obviously becoming impatient at the time it was taking for myself and another guest to assist a disabled member of the party into her seat - completely disgusting!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Julie H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bingley
Five Rise Locks Hotel
Dubrovnik Hotel
Dubrovnik Hotel
#8 of 27 in Bradford
Premier Inn Bradford North (Bingley) Hotel

Been to Oakwood Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!