“Worst service I've ever received”
Review of The Fish Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buttermere
The Fish Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Buttermere
London, United Kingdom
“Worst service I've ever received”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Possibly the rudest member of bar staff I've ever encountered. They messed up our order by bringing out one too few meals for our party of 15. When we raised this with the bar staff they accused us of trying to get out of paying for all of our meals and told us they "didn't like our attitude". When they finally investigated the order properly, they realised their mistake and brought out the missing meal, but with no apology. Absolutely appalling behaviour, and we shan't be going back.

Only giving them 1/5 because I can't give a 0.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank James A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The service was awful, very rude, food microwaved and still a bit frozen. Asked to use the phone as no reception to get a taxi and they refused - never going back. Very disappointed, go to the bridge hotel instead, I will be.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Amie S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Wow! The Fish Inn's location is incredible, it's right in the middle of the mountains. The scenery is truly stunning and there are tons of walks / big hikes right not their doorstep. The Fish Inn is perfect on every level, the family running it are very professional and hard working and provide a warm and friendly high level of service. The inn is spotlessly clean, and the room we stayed in (7) was very spacious and well equipped and we had an incredible mountain view. The inn's decor is traditional but this is what we'd expect in this area.

We did 8 hour walks / hikes some days and we were so happy to return to the Fish Inn's amazing pub. They had a great selection of summery ales and a beer garden surrounded by mountains, what more can one ask for! The Fish Inn attracts a lot of walkers but there was as also a lot of friendly locals. The food is not what you'd expect, it's home made hearty pub food with very fresh ingredients and produce - absolutely delicious. I'm vegan and mentioned it at the time of booking and they went out of their way to provide a huge range of food for me including vegan shortbread and soya milk in the room every day, vegan puddings with soya custard, spicy and flavourful meals made especially for me and the choice at breakfast was incredible too! I was completely blown away, they were so accommodating! My boyfriend also loved all the meat and fish dishes, and puddings too. At the end of each night we retired to the lounge on a comfy sofa with a whiskey and brandy and helped ourselves to their huge selection of magazines. After a great rest we'd get up and do it all again, amazing!

We cannot wait to return to The Fish Inn! Buttermere is the most relaxing and beautiful place that I will never forget!

Room Tip: room 7 has great mountain views!
2 Thank MitzyLondon
Stockton on Tees England
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed here for the first time with my husband early July 2012 after a recommendation from a friend. Perfectly situated a short walk from my favourite lake in the Lake District and our room was facing towards the lake. Beautiful. Staff were friendly; breakfast generous and tasty and the bedroom was spotlessly clean. On the negative side, the hotel is a little dated, the pillows were too hard and I would take my own next time. The food was also very basic which, for 2 foodies, was not great. However, it is ideal to fill up with after a days walk and there were lots of people who looked happy with it so it depends what you're looking for in a hotel. It would be difficult to match such a fantastic location and overall we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel - looking toward the lake
1 Thank 667RachelD
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Just back from a 2 night stay at the Fish Inn and our only complaint was that we didn't book for longer. The room we had had brilliant views over the fells, never had a view like it before and unlikely to have it again. The staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful. the food was good and hearty pub fare, which is exactly what we were looking for after a wonderful walk around Buttermere. The Lake is right on your doorstep and there are many other walks to be had. Loved the small church in the village which was very atmospheric and uplifting. the road in and out of Buttermere can be a bit hairy at times, but believe me the village and the Hotel make it all worthwhile. Thankyou to all for a lovely stay, we will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1, which had wonderful views
Suffolk UK
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

We spent a long weekend at the Fish and despite some previous ta comments by others regarding staff we can honestly say we were made very welcome from beginning to end. All employees were a credit.
The hotel is ideally situated between Crummock Water and Buttermere and our car was abandonned for the whole weekend.
The hotel is clean and warm and my only criticism was the colour coordination. In my opinion there was none but this turned out to be an endearing quality! My wife and I were amused.
The breakfast was very good with a good selection of the usual fayre.
The bar was very well frequented and the selection of all beverages was very good. There are a number of lagers available to accompany the obligatory real ales. The food was very well cooked however for me it was like going back 20 years with the only thing the scampi was missing was a basket. Most people seemed to be enjoying what i would call plain food.
There is no tv but wifi is available and I managed to watch euro final on iplayer.
It might be worth considering Skype as mobile signals were abysmal. This was no fault of the hotel.
The views from the hotel are difficult to beat and many miles of fells are literally on your doorstep.
The hotel is well regimented with a lock in and many little rules that all add up to a tight ship. The walking plans and weather forecasts are a good touch but the met office need sacking!
I will have no problems recommending the Fish and hope to visit again.

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This is the 2nd time we have stayed here and the 2nd time we have thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The terrific breakfast is the perfect preparation for a days walking and the extensive range of beers on offer the perfect finale to a great day out. I don't know why some reviewers have criticised the staff for being unfriendly and rude as they have never been any less than the total opposite in our experience. The only criticism we would make would be that the main meal menu could do with an overhaul in terms of choice but the food itself is generally excellent and portions never less than generous and great value for money. We will be going again!

• Stayed May 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buttermere
Bridge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Grange-in-Borrowdale
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to The Fish Inn? Share your experiences!