Bridge Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
US$246
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsred pikeresidents loungeself cateringbuttermere lakefleetwith pikewalkers bardrying roomlake districtbar mealsmuddy bootslakeland hotelcomfortable hotelpacked lunchget away from it allcrummock waterthe pubfour poster
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We called in for a meal after walking round the lake (which takes approximately 2 hours, without any stops).
I had beef bourguignon with garlic mash and although there didn't look like a lot, it really filled me up. My partner had homemade burger with bacon and chips which he also enjoyed.
I imagine this would be a lovely place to stay as there is also an ice cream shop, another pub and a cafe.
There is also a bus service which goes over Honister - that must be a hair raising journey - to Keswick which is probably quite useful to know if you don't fancy driving the windy roads to get there.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank flicker96
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Delighted that you enjoyed both your visit and your food !!!

Its always nice to be able to welcome the locals as much as we welcome the walkers and tourists.

See you online with facebook soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Please don’t let my criticism put you off staying at the Bridge, we have been regulars for many years and whilst things have changed it is still a deliciously, dreamy romantic place to stay. We stayed for four nights on the three for four August special offer which was a bargain. However each time we go we notice that the owners have made cut backs; it started with the removal of the complementary afternoon teas, then canapé’s were dispensed with, on this visit the coffee and mints were priced at a hefty extra supplement which is a bit of a cheek when guests are paying over thirty pounds for the evening meal . The food and service was generally excellent but lacked consistency; sometimes you were offered extra water sometimes not, sometimes fresh black pepper sometimes not. Most dishes were good but there were notable exceptions, on the last night my pineapple desert was in the early stages of discomposure! Still the soup served as an intermediary course in a tiny coffee cup was consistently delicious. The bedrooms are comfortable but during a rare period of warm weather how we missed the flexibility of the old sheets and blankets [is there anyway of regulating the temperature under those pesky duvets?] We did note however that during our stay the room wasn’t vacuumed. A charming new manager has just started so maybe the miner problems will be sorted out? We still love the Bridge and hope that despite the above we will be allowed to return!

Room Tip: Altough the rooms at the back of the hotel have the best views you do have the noise from the bar customers drinking and eating outside. Okay in the winter but on warms days and without a TV to distact you can hear every account of customers day's aventures.Rooms at the front have less good viewes but are quieter. If you like the sound of water choose the side rooms alingside the brook. Room 12 has single comfortable beds but for tall people like me they arent long enough
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PhilReed186386
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Dear Philreed186386,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us again at The Bridge Hotel, having very recently joined the Hotel as general Manager I thought I should at least take the time to speak with the Directors and raise your thoughts.

The decision to reduce the offerings at The bridge were made inline with the current economic climate to ensure that we were still able to welcome regular guests without the need to increase (indeed decrease in some areas) the associated tariff. Not all of the guests we were welcoming were making use of the full "packaged" elements, such as Afternoon Tea and yet were still needing to pay for them on an allocation basis. Clearly we would never diminish the QUALITY of what we offer and yet increased costs were forcing us to consider an increase room rates.

I trust you will understand why we no longer serve arrival guests with Afternoon tea and Coffee and we are delighted that you have been able to make use of some of the fantastic deals on offer currently.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future so I may take the opportunity of personally meeting with you.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

My friend and I stayed at The Bridge at Buttermere on the eve of the 22nd June after being washed out of the first night of our camping trip to Woolfest 2012.
While at Woolfest we found The Bridge online via my mobile phone and rang straight away. The very helpful man at the other end of the phone booked us in straight away and said that we could come over there and then to dry out:-) After returning to our campsite and bundling our soggy tent etc into our car we set off through very interesting weather to The Bridge. On arrival (dripping wet and leaving puddles on the floor) the helpful staff got us swiftly booked in and to our room. The room was lovely and clean and the shower was great. The biscuits, tea and hot chocolate supplied were very welcome.
After settling in we went down to the bar and had a lovely dinner in the bar. We were meant to go back to Woolfest for a sausage supper meal but the weather was so atrocious with roads flooding, the beck outside really high and the wind getting up that we decided to stay put. I had Cumberland Sausage and mash and my friend had chicken and veg pie both of which were great; the real ale was lovely too. The next morning after a good nights sleep we had a yummy full cooked breakfast served by a very attentive waiter. We had fruit juice, grapefruit, cooked breakfast, toast and marmalade a pot of tea and a pot of coffee. Extra toast was no problem and the bread it was made from was really nice and they know how to do a proper poached egg; the black pudding was a treat:-) The room where breakfast is served is lovely and this together with the very good service made breakfast a relaxed and elegant affair and I spotted a Red Squirrel outside, how cool.
When we were checking out the chap at the desk helpfully advised us of the best route to get to Keswick by as the weather, although improved, was still playing up.
Recommended and I hope to stay again.

Room Tip: Their website has pictures of all their rooms so you could check out which one to book before hand. We had 20 which had a view of another part of the hotel which didn't bother us because we just cared about being warm and dry but if I stay again I'd try to get a room with a nice view. None of the rooms have TVs but that's because there is not reception due to the high fells surrounding the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emma G

Dear EmmaG,

My sincere apologies it has taken me a while to get back to you, we have been waiting for new Log in details for reviews.

What a joy to read that we were able to offer a harbour of comfort during your washout visit to The Lakes. I can think nothing better of being able to enjoy a warm and welcoming shower when wet to the bone and YES, the food is certainly homely and heart warming.

Next time stick to "Glamping" and return to us!

Reviewed 16 July 2012

The Bridge is a lovely hotel. Rooms and food are excellent. Some people may say that the hotel has let it standards slip with food and service (I have to agree with this to a certain extent as we had more choice for dinner when we went years ago and you got canapes whilst having a drink before your meal, I have a feeling they are trying to keep costs down but I suppose lots of hotels are in the same boat!) but don't let this put you off as it is still an excellent hotel and I am sure whoever visits this area will have a great time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank human71

Dear human71,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted that all being said you had an enjoyable time with us.

True as said, it is with regret that we have had to take decisions to reduce offerings so that we were able to maintain our Tariff (which has not been increased for some time now.)

These decisions in line with the current economic climate will ensure we are still able to offer a good value for money product without reducing quality.

Cheaper is not always better and so less can be more!

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

returned again to stay at the bridge,wonderful location,fab views, friendly helpful staff.this hotel has no TV or radios which we find absolutely fantastic as it adds to the getting away from it all experience.The service & and atmosphere created makes this a place we love to return to.the rooms are clean & comfortable individually decorated.thanks again to the bridge for another memorable stay.

Room Tip: we loved all the rooms we have stayed
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear 3CP,

What a delight it was to recieve your review, we always like to read that what we are doing is right.

We hope to welcome you again soon in the very near future.