“Wouldn't change anything.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buttermere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't change anything.”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We revisited this hotel after almost 10 years. Same room, still excellent. Food is superb, staff friendly and helpful. The area around the hotel needs no reviews. Simply breathtaking. We didn't use the pub but the restaurant is lovely and a special treat for our trip down memory lane. We will definitely be returning, hopefully before another 10 years. Thank you to all at The Bridge. - Superior Room, dinner bed and breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Dear Lupin12,

Thank you for the review, 10 years between trips! wow, Yes, lets hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

I am so pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay. Time doesn't move too quickly and The Lake District will always present itself in the best of ways come rain or shine.

Looking forward to another visit from you!

Steven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
UK
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We have just returned from a fantastic stay at The Bridge. As soon as you walk in it exudes warmth and comfort. We began with a drink served in the guest lounge. Beautiful "sink into" sofas, open fire and a gin and tonic...perfect. We ordered in the lounge and were taken through to the restaurant a bit later. A Sunday night and the restaurant was full...testament to how good it must be! 5 star food, beautifully presented. We (sadly) had not just come down from the fells to a hearty dinner but if we had, the food we were presented with would have definitely done a good job of re-fuelling us! Just what walkers need but still refined and full of flavour...couldn't fault it. Our room was stunning. Beautifully decorated with a good sized bathroom. We would certainly like to return. Highly recommended.

Bridge H, Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Hello there hellsyUK

Thank you for making the effort and writing such a nice review, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us.

The team all work hard to ensure we deliver top service and meet our customers expectations and I am pleased you have noted this.

Yes, a very busy Sunday was had by all !!

Clitheroe
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Just returned from a two night stay having been previously a couple of years ago. We were delighted to find that we received the same quality and service as before. We booked a superior double room which had wonderful views, comfortable bed, a very modern and well equipped bathroom, (slow shower due to poor water pressure) and a hospitality tray (fresh milk on request). Food was good and well presented. No piped music in the public rooms which was much appreciated.
We were especially impressed that the staff knew every guest by name, all the staff were efficient and pleasant. We look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: Rooms at back have better views (no lift)
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Good morning from a bright and sunny Butteremere, it was a pleasure having you stay and I am pleased that you enjoyed our house and home for the time you were with us.

We pride ourselves on our excellent service and I look forward to welcoming you back as soon as you are able to visit.

Norfolk
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We took this opportunity to celebrate a birthday and visit the Lake District. During the 3 days we were there. we had a very happy time. The hotel was everything we could have asked for; the room was very comfortable, the staff were friendly, and we thought the food was excellent. We loved the situation, in the valley, surrounded by the hills. Buttermere provided a delightful walk, from just out of the front door. We would recommend The Bridge Hotel to anyone looking for a good small hotel, good provender and comfortable accommodation in picturesque surroundings.

Room Tip: We chose a 'superior' room, and were very pleased with it.
Hello there again!

May i just thank you for your fantastic review, we were delighted to read it and I will print a copy for the staff notice board so they all get your feed back.

I am pleased that you had a wonderful time and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I have been a guest at The Bridge many times over the years and have always had a relaxing and enjoyable stay. However, I was extremely dissapointed after spending a night there for my birthday last week.
My partner and I had finished an enjoyable meal in the bar and retired to our room around 8.30pm. As we left, I was surprised that the barman locked the door behind us.
I decided to come back down for a pint of the local real ale at about 9.45 only to find the bar locked and in darkness. Nobody was on reception so I rang the bell until the manager arrived.
He told me the bar had closed. I expressed my surprise at this, pointing out that I believed last orders to be 10.30 to 11pm. He informed me that the bar closes at 8.50 when it's a quiet night and that residents had been asked if it was OK. Strange that nobody had asked us this while we had been dining there 30 minutes earlier ! I asked if he would get me a pint of beer from the bar himself and he told me that the lines were now off for the draught ales and that I could have only wine or bottled beers. Some fellow guests now arrived asking for drinks at the bar and he became quite antagonistic in his attitude to them. He stated that he had spoken with them earlier about the bar closing. They too were given the choice of wine or bottled beer, despite requesting draught larger. Totally astounded by the surreal nature of the situation we accepted his offer of bottled lager, the choice of which was quite limited. Imagine our utter amazement and bemusement when he returned with several DRAUGHT lagers and a pint of DRAUGHT ale for myself and the others. Unsurprisingly it was not the draught beer that I had originally requested back at reception, and it was handed over with a very "take it or leave it" attitude from the manager. We sat in the residents lounge and the others told me that they had had similar problems with the bar closing eary the previous night and how dissapointed they all were.
Also, the only downstairs toilets in the hotel were in the now locked and darkened bar. To use the loo we had to climb back up to our rooms on the second floor. There was no sign of the manager after he served our drinks in the residents lounge. I got the impression that everyone wanted to lock up and get home early despite the best efforts of the PAYING residents.
I was amazed that we were all paying a very expensive rate to stay there, and yet the very services and facilities that we had paid for had been withdrawn on a whim, presumably to save on bar staff wages and running costs! In future, perhaps we should be informed of this skeleton service when booking and the rates should reflect this!
Please read the review written by my fellow guests which also appears on this page.
If you want the Fawlty Towers experience then this is the place to stay, if not then try The Fish Hotel next door.

4 Thank ATGlover
Bridge H, Owner at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear Sir,

May I take the opportunity of thanking you for bringing to my attention the short falls in service during your stay. As a regular guest i am sure you are aware that this in not our usual level of customer satisfaction and we take seriously any short falls.

I will be in touch in the very near future by post where I will be able to more clarify the situation in a hope you again feel comfortable enough to revisit The Bridge Hotel.

Yours Sincerely

Adrian Maguire
Owner/ Director
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Just come back from a 2 night stay, we've been to Buttermere for walks many times before and had many good bar meals at the Bridge Hotel and always said it would be nice to stay there. We booked a superior room at the back of the Hotel with four poster bed and chilled champagne on arrival. We had dinner, bed and breakfast there. The Manager and Staff service was exceptional, a surprisingly good restaurant and extensive wine list, some lovely Sherries and Ports too. Highly recommend and hope to return again before too long. Right on the lake so excellent starting point for walks and with a drying room so dry boots in the morning! No mobile phone signal or TV's or radios in the rooms as there's just no signal, so perfect for a complete getaway from it all holiday. It certainly encourages conversation with the other guests and we met loads of interesting people in just 2 days.

Room Tip: Superior Rooms at the back have better views than the slightly more expensive rooms at the front of...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
Dear Jo s

thank you for your wonderful words. Its nice that you like to tell the world about us. It was a real pleasure meeting you and I am sure your review will advise other travelers that we really are the best option in the area.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Bridge in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Steven Langley
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

The Bridge is a delightfully secluded hotel ideally located as a base for the Northern Lakes. There's no TV or mobile reception, which is a good excuse to deny knowledge of the outside world for a few days (although there's good wifi in the lounge if you really can't get through the day without a fix of infotainment)

They pride themselves (with reason) on their food, which is very good with a perfectly acceptable wine list,

I recommend this hotel if you want a quiet break with some walking and a credible excuse for not answering the phone.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear Raymondbadger,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. As you say, we pride ourselves on what we are offerign here. Yes yes Yes, we love the peace and quiet we have with no nonsense from the outside world.... WiFi taken into account.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Steven
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buttermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Grange-in-Borrowdale
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw

Been to Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!