All reviewsresidents loungeself cateringlake districtdrying roomwalkers barthe pubfour posterbar mealsred pikepacked lunchcomfortable hotellakeland hotelfine diningstunning locationwonderful hotelwi fidays walking
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The hotel has a great location for walkers in the centre of the small village of Buttermere. Walks onto Whiteless Pike start outside the front door! The staff were really friendly and helpful. The breakfast and packed lunches are good, although you can get a cheaper packed lunch round the corner from the farm run café. The quality of the evening meals is excellent, although the choice is limited and would get repetitive if you stayed for more than 4 nights. Our room was really good and we were given a choice before we booked of which room we wanted - you can preview them by looking on the hotel's website.

Room Tip: Look on the website first to pick your room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Warrenwendy,
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I am blessed with very friendly staff and I appreciate your feedback accordingly.
In relation to your concerns of our menu, you will be pleased to learn that we returned to our daily menu writing. The seasonal menu was implemented recently to allow us greater buying power and in turn better value for money for our guests. Listening to our customer feedback is key to maintaining the offering and happiness of our guests and this has led us to understand the seasonal menu was just not working.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Steven Langley

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed in Room 18 from 8-12 July, room was beautifully laid out with great views of the surrounding fells. The food was excellent, ate in restaurant and bar, and the rear garden to the bar was perfect for watching the world go by. All of the staff were very friendly - a super hotel, we are already trying to plot a return trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Dear Rovingpup,
Thank you for your review of our Hotel on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, it was certainly a pleasure to be able to welcome you, and what weather!!!!!!
Buttermere, I feel is equally stunning in both the winter and summer, some of our braver guests still see fit to open water swim during trips in November!!
We look forward to welcomein gyou back in the near future.
Steven

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Just back from one of our favourite hotels - the wonderful Bridge Hotel in Buttermere. This must be our 11th or 12th stay here over that last 4 years - if this doesn't say how much we rate this establishment I don't know what wouldl!
Yet again we have received excellent service; nothing is too much trouble for Stephen (General Manager), Atilla (Restaurant Manager) and their team of polite and helpful staff. As an example of their helpfulness I turn up with a cool bag full of my specially baked rolls and bread that they are happy to store for me in the freezer (I'm glutuen-free) and produce as and when requested!
We stay in the main hotel on a dinner, B & B tariff and have never been disappointed with either the vast choice at breakfast or the excellent range of dinner options. Hayley, the superb pastry chef, will even go the extra mile and create a special dessert that I can eat despite my dietary limitations!! The wine list is particularly varied and exceptional value for money.
We have only eaten in the lovely classically decorated restaurant but we do have 'early doors' in the bar and the food on offer there looks equally impressive.
I did read in another review some strange adverse comments about the restaurant dinner dress code - no tee-shirts, shorts, trainers etc. We find this very code appealing in that it brings back a semblance of gentility and refinement - usually sadly lacking in this day and age. If you want to mooch about in ultra-casual clothes than you will be very welcome in the bar but please show respect for the staff and your fellow diners in the restaurant by adhering to the guidance given when you accept your booking. As avid walkers we spend most of our time in Buttermere in our walking clothes and boots ourselves, but what a joy to clean up and dress up a bit for dinner!!
All this and the most amazing weather we have ever had in the Lakes!! It doesn't get much better than this.....already thinking about our next trip!!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 4 are the Four Posters (AW stayed in Room 1!!) at the front of the hotel - both lovely. The best views of the High Stile fell range are either from the side or the back. The self-catering apartments have amazing views direct onto this range. Not telling you our favourite room because we don't want you to pinch it!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Hello there Mrs F (sorry but I'm not allowed to use your name on here)
Its always a pleasure to hear from both and wow! What was the weather doing for you this visit.... Long may it continue.
I am delighted that you both continue to enjoy your time with us, I assure you our efforts are a pleasure but I do thank you for noting them. I am so proud of our team and the standards they maintain.
Looking forward to welcoming you back.
Steven XX

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Our party of 4 arrived around 7pm, after a long drive, and went straight to the bar for a drink before dinner. We had chosen the Bridge because we had stayed there 3 times during the past few years, and enjoyed the beautiful setting, old world charm of the bar, etc, as well as the excellent food. Fortunately, all these features remain ( full marks to the first class chef). However, we were rushed through for our meal (booked for 8pm), and asked to decide on the menu 3 times, followed by ( at 7.25) the comment " I'll give you 2 more minutes!!" The waiter's name was Atilla.
Before that we were told that the showers occasionally were problematic in our rooms, so we were given the key to a 3rd room. All 3 showers were either a dribble of water or cold. We we moved after one night to rooms where the showers did work - also given small discount (£5 per person).
The other main issue is dress code for the dining room. We were told no fewer than 3 times that jeans , T shirts and trainers were not allowed. We all planned to change before the meal ( we all wore shirts in the dining room anyway), but had no time to change properly. Nevertheless, we had not experienced this new policy previously. Also, if you wish to eat in the bar (nice atmosphere), and if on a DB&B package, you get an "allowance " of only £15 towards the food. Dinner in the dining room costs £35. So, strange!!
Finally (see review "locked out!"), no Staff remain on site at night, so if you wish to go out after 10pm for post prandial stroll, you must get a key. Atilla started turning off the lights in the lounge when we were still having our coffee! Faulty Towers springs to mind.
All things considered, we probably won't return.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Swimboy52
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear Swimboy52
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and I am very sorry that you found the experience to be less than satisfactory. It is always our intention to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay and relish in what we pride ourselves on delivering. It would appear that on this occasion we have fallen short of this.
As I am sure you are aware we were extremely busy in both the bar and dining room on the night you stayed, it was only with this in mind that our operations manager was trying to protect your dining times without any disruption to the guests that were booked in after you to sit. Having spoken with him he advised me that he offered "I will give you a couple more minutes" perhaps the literal meaning of this was lost in Translation - You are aware that Attila has English as a second language.
I am pleased that you mention the shower issues - As I advised you on check in we were experiencing sporadic problems with the showers on the landing you were allocated, In anticipation of this I offered the third key as a back up and asked that you notify me of any issues you may have. Once you reported the issues you were immediately moved to a superior twin, given a free upgrade and a reduced rate so I am a little disappointed that your reflection of a £5 discount may not be a fair judgment. Your original favorable rate was already heavily discounted and therefore left me little room for further adjustment.
Our dress code has always been in place for the dining room, smart attire, no jeans trainers or t-shirts. Attila was unaware I had addressed this on check in but would only be trying to help, of this I assure you. He is a wonderful member of our team and will push himself to ensure our guests’ time with us is comfortable and enjoyable.
I am unsure why you feel the need to address the dining allocation for the bar or indeed our night time operations as neither were relevant and certainly caused no disruption to your stay. As a small Country Hotel we have no need for a night porter and I myself live on site and manage the phone calls 24 hours a day I truly believe we are adequately "staffed" and easy to obtain should our guests need me.
I am sorry that you feel unable to return to us as we love to see regulars and be able to welcome them back.

Yours Sincerely

Steven Langley

Reviewed 29 June 2013

We did discuss whether we should take stars off for the weather, it rained a bit,or the three imitation privet balls hanging on the back of the hotel (is one missing?) but right from arrival we knew that it would be the full five stars. A lovely welcome, a super room and then it just got better. Excellent bar food and the one night we dined in properly the food was just stunning. It's great to have no TV, the entertainment is from the view, the sheep, cows and dogs that walk by the hotel and just the sheer pleasure of being in such an historic hotel. The staff couldn't be more helpful, I mentioned to Ray that we'd had a puncture, he recommended a tyre place, rang it to make sure they had the right size and gave us full directions. It's proper old-fashioned service but it's not stuffy, just rather wonderful.
It doesn't get better than this, we had a great time and will be back. Maybe just two privet balls next time?

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Dear 186338AlanC,
Thank you for the review. I was delighted to receive your 5 star review --- We promise to have the extra ball added as soon as possible. Regrettably we are unable to do anything about the weather.

We all work very hard to be able to deliver the quality of service we pride ourselves on and I am pleased you were able to absorb and enjoy this.

I truly look forward to welcoming you back.

Steven