All reviews self catering residents lounge lake district drying room walkers bar the pub four poster bar meals red pike packed lunch comfortable hotel lakeland hotel fine dining wi fi stunning location wonderful hotel days walking
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was taken here as part of my special birthday celebration. What a wonderful place to stay and visit. The room we were given was simply lovely, probably the best I have ever stayed in. Truly magnificent with the added bonus of being dual aspect we could see the fells as well as buttermere lake. The service we had from the moment of arrival to when we left was impeccable. The restaurant was not open the nights we were there but this was not a problem as the food in the bar was excellent,with variety of choices. Breakfast was traditionally served which was lovely to experience. Added bonus with staying here is the wonderful residents lounge. The whole hotel was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. I would love to go back but maybe not have to wait 10years for my next special birthday.

Room Tip: Room 18 is lovely
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LBYORK
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear LBYORK -

Again HAPPY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION !!! ..... it really was a delight to welcome you and I am just pleased that you enjoyed exactly what it was we strive to deliver.

************** WARM, HOMELY WELCOMES WITH A FRIENDLY SMILE THROUGHOUT ********

Maybe we will be luck enough that you choose to return for your next Birthday celebration. Until then

Kindest regards from us all at The Bridge.

Steven & Crew.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

There's an old joke about the traveller struggling through the desert, out of water, tired beyond measure when he sees a man walking towards him. The man walks up, has no water to hand, but offers to sell him a tie. This happens twice more; each time with offers of clothing for the dangerously dehydrating traveller. At his wits end he finally sees a building, crawls up to it and begs to be given some water.

The doorman refuses, saying he can't let him in without a tie.
The spirit of that doorman is alive and well in the general manager of the Bridge.

This is a hotel my parents had their honeymoon in; my family have been going to it off and on for 70 years. The location is fantastic, it has always understood climbers and their peculiarities; its miles from anywhere and revels in that.

But when we arrived after a 7 hour hard drive the manager found fault; I was too tired to think anything of it and can't remember the issue - no doubt he will.
As I'd never encountered rudeness at the Bridge before - I assumed it must be an aberration - he was having a bad day perhaps.

The following day after an heroic ascent of Hay Stacks during a deluge of biblical proportions, a further spat ensured, however, over dress code for the restaurant.

Lousy timing; piddling issue; it could have been resolved much more easily. There are apparently a host of rules and regulations which govern complex transfer pricing practices between one room and another - about which we knew nothing and cared less - but are now experts.

The abiding impression given was that guests are an inconvenient nuisance who have to be scolded and marshalled like inmates of some lousy care home.

Having annoyed both of the guests that I had paid in advance for, at no time did the GM approach me or seek anything other than some point scoring nonsense worthy only of Fawlty Towers.

The whole flavour of a stay changes on such small but pivotal moments.
The rooms suddenly felt pokey. Everywhere was stiflingly hot.
The lack of a tv in my 'standard' room was a pain.
The miniscule time window to get in for a breakfast was laughable. Lock outs after 10pm seem a quite common risk.
The fact that the wireless only reaches about 3 metres away from the reception desk was infuriating. There is no phone signal; nada, zip, nowt - absolutely nothing.
The Guinness was atrocious; the meal nothing special; they did chill a bottle of wine for us - but that was before we transgressed so heinously.
The packed lunch was a joke for £8 (but we did manage to order it in time - yeay).

I had planned to spend Sunday on my own reminiscing about my now departed dad - the man who introduced me to the Bridge and to climbing 50 years ago.
Cancelled.
The officiousness of one man soured the whole piece.

So for now - I'd recommend you give it a wide berth. Never thought I'd say that.
But try the Fish opposite, or any of the Borrowdale alternatives for a while.
It takes work to make a hotel like the Bridge have trouble filling its rooms.
We were bombarded with cheaper and cheaper offers and discounts for later stays and I was frankly surprised to find 3 rooms available when we had booked a few months earlier. Now I understand why.

I can see that the general manager reads these postings assiduously - I hope he reads this, several times.

Room Tip: Rooms above the bar on the first floor are hot; uncomfortably hot.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
13  Thank DavidRJohnston
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Another delightful stay at The Bridge. A special mention to Ray who very kindly allowed us to alter the date of our booking as we had a close family bereavement the week before we were due to stay. As we had paid in advance, he kept in touch via email until we felt ready for our break, and made it easy for us to re-book when it suited us. Thank you Ray, your kindness was appreciated.

Food was exquisite, and service pleasant and professional as always. A very friendly local hotel, where nothing is too much trouble. We stayed in Room 22 which has a small balcony overlooking the car park and was pristine in its cleanliness and décor. A welcome break from the hustle and bustle of ‘normal’ life.
Thank you all.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear Ilevidoll
Thank you for a very positive review of your recent stay with us. I am just sorry for your loss before you were able to join us and rest assured we will always try to accommodate a move of the nature yours was.

We are extremely proud of the standards our housekeeping team maintain and I am delighted you noted this on your review. They work extremely hard for us and I will ensure they receive a copy of your review.

We will hopefully be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Steven Langley

Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights whilst ticking off Wainwrights. Great location, great views along with friendly staff who made the stay very relaxing. Breakfast high quality which set up day perfectly, staff made good packed lunches and on return good food and selection of beers refreshed tired limbs. Rooms clean with enough space for walking gear and luggage to be stored. Definitely recommend and will return.

• Stayed: July 2013
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Cheshire-Trekker

Congratulations on your "ticking off" of the Wainwrights. - You must let us know if you manage to complete this mammoth task!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and you certainly seem to have absorbed all it is we pride ourselves on.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back - Treat yourself to one of our "Muddy Boots" promotions throughout the winter and enjoy the majesty of the Lakes in all their splendor.

Steven

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Apartment was comfortable, well-furnished and pleasantly situated 15 minutes walk from Buttermere Lake. The kitchen was fully equipped and a TV with satellite box and DVD player provided.
The only significant problem was the apparent use of the TV by staff when we were out. The manager attempted to explain that the problem was due to technical causes, not staff. I showed that his explanation was flawed, but he did not respond.
It was a pity that our otherwise excellent stay was marred by the TV problem, which was unsatisfactorily handled by he manager.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard J

********* Copy of email as sent to guest ******************************
Dear ****,
Firstly may I thank you for taking some time this morning to discuss your concerns in relation to your stay. It is always much more productive to speak with someone face to face and I do appreciate you doing this.
I am delighted to say (as much for my peace of mind as yours) that having investigated fully the situation of the T.V/ Satellite and Scart in your apartment I am confidently in a position to comment as follows:
The DVD player (xentia) that you mention is in a serial loop with the Freesat box and then another serial loop to the TV. This would mean that even if the FreeSat box is defaulted to 101 as it does; the scart system in the Xentia DVD player will override it and set it to the channel LAST USED on the Xentia system. (This was as you say set on 234, not the most pleasant of channels.)
Because of this I am confident that having spoken to my Housekeeping team today that none of them has entered your apartment at all during your stay. It is House policy that unless requested the apartments are Saturday to Saturday and not entered during these times. The access to our Master keys is very closely controlled by a signing in process so I am also confident that no one else has had access to this apartment. As I said to you earlier, I have great faith, trust and confidence in our Housekeeping team and I trust them with our guests’ facilities and property as much as I trust them with the reputation of our business. They have never let me down to date.

I truly hope that this sets your mind at rest and I only regret that you did not approach me with this matter when you first encountered it during your stay, it cannot have been a restful stay thinking the whole time that someone was making use of facilities that were private to you at the time.

I trust this covers all details at present however, should you wish to discuss matters further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.