“Bank holiday break !”
Review of Bridge Hotel

Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buttermere
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We decided last minute to visit friends near Butternere and everywhere was booked up, after our friend making a call he got us double room in the Bridge Hotel,we arrived in lovely sunshine 4pm promptly and quickly booked in and were helped to and showed our room.We came st down got a drink and sat outside and soaked up beautiful weather and earwigged people talking about their days walking adventures with a couple of drinks very interesting and imformative .We had arranged to meet our friends for meal at 7pm and had a great meal and night with good attentive service.Had a good nights sleep in comfy bed and lovely bathroom albeit room was a bit small and no tv didn't bother us,breakfast choice quality and service good and set us up for day ahead,on site parking no bother .

Room Tip: Ask for room on front of Hotel views are exceptional .
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Dear goodhol,

Thank you for your very informative review, we are delighted that you absorbed the essence of what we are striving to deliver - attentive quality of service.

What a weekend for weather! this always helps our guests enjoy their time and I am just pleased for everyone with the bank holiday enjoyment.

We look forward to welcoming back - make sure and check out our "Muddy boots promotions" for the winter season.

Steven

Reviewed 24 August 2013

My husband and I returned for the second time this year to this tranquil and welcoming hotel. The staff are most attentive and ensure that all guests' needs are catered for promptly and efficiently. From Ray and Stephen on Reception (one of their many duties) and Attila overseeing guests' dining requirements, to the staff in the bar, restaurant and cleaning operatives, anything required was immediately attended to. All was done with a certain passion and eagerness to ensure guests received top quality service and were 100% satisfied.

We were booked in for both breakfast and evening meal and fully enjoyed the whole experience. A very good choice of all the various courses for both times of day, were on offer and were served and presented beautifully with just about the right time to wait between courses. The food tasted delicious and we were delighted with the excellent quality of ingredients used. The hotel has a good sized bar and serve a vast array of light bites, meals, breakfasts etc. We did enjoy some delicious soup and Tempura Prawns and would have tried their extensive menu, had we not booked for the evening meal. Well worth a try.

We were in Room 22, on the second floor, which was very comfortable. I had selected this room after viewing the hotel's website gallery, but probably would have not been disappointed with any of the rooms, judging by the various well furnished rooms on offer.

The hotel is situated about a quarter of a mile from Lake Buttermere and takes only 10 mins walk or a little longer if strolling. A good point to mention is that it is all on the flat when walking to the Lake and from then on, walkers have options to walk around the Lake, or up the fells.

All in all, we had a great couple of days and will certainly be returning in the not too distant future.

Thank you again, Ray, Stephen, Attila and to the rest of your team for making our getaway break, such a special experience.

("The Percys") :-) :-)

Room Tip: Visit hotel's website to view photos of all the rooms. Although we overlooked car park, we still...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear ((-- The Perceys )))

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay - Again, we are delighted you enjoyed your time - It is always good to see a returning smiley face and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Enjoy your bank holiday and the sun shine it promises to bring with it.

Kindest regards as ever

Steven, Ray, Attila and the rest of the crew.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I wanted to give the hotel four, maybe even five stars because it really was wonderful. The setting is lovely, the room was clean and functional, the staff pleasant (mostly, see below) and the food/beer was great. But it was ruined by the manager Steven who was so rude on so many occasions, so much so we cancelled our remaining night and will not return until he has left. I have also taken up his conduct with the hotel Directors.

It started because we arrived a little late for the dinner, snapping at us to choose our food within minutes of arriving and then accusing me of lying when I queried something on the booking! His words of "I think Sir, on this occasion you must be wrong" shocked us all (even if you disagree with a customer, the delivery of such a message was terrible! We assumed at the time he was under a bit of pressure and let it slide.

The next day, we arrived for dinner in the evening in good time, having spent the morning battling the weather on Haystacks and the afternoon having a few ales in the bar. We were tired, and hungry. When we turned up, he scanned us up and down and then announced that we "would not be dining with them tonight" because we were not dressed smartly enough. This was quite a shock, as I was unaware of a dress-code at all, and being on a hiking holiday, I did not have anything suitable with me. He explained that it was "in the terms and conditions given to me at the time of booking" and that it was my responsibility to dress appropriately. No apology or suggestions of an alternative solution. He turned on his heels and walked away. Gobsmacked we went and sat in the residents lounge to work out what to do and/or say. The dinner is included in the room rate, so be told we could not have it was terrible especially as we did not know about the dress code.

Seeing us clearly distressed, he did return, and told us he was "on this occasion, prepared to serve us our main course in the bar", but would not serve our starters or Entree, just the main course. Why not the starters we still do not know. I explained again that I was disappointed that I was never told of the dress code (I can certainly do smart when required!), and that I did not receive the email he mentioned. As an IT Engineer, I know email very well, so I asked him to show me the email that was sent to me, and offered a humble apology if he could produce it. Amazingly, as I was mid-sentence explaining this, whilst walking together to the next bar where my friends were sat, I looked round and he was gone, stood chatting to another couple in the other corner of the room. I'm not sure someone has ever been so rude to me. I was speechless. He later apologised but through gritted teeth, claiming he didn't like confrontation - odd as I was walking away, with him following! Not exactly confrontational. He never came back with the email as I requested, just some print outs of his POS system which showed I had a booking with them. I explained that it did not show that an email had been sent. He refused to apologise, as if it was he personal pride at stake. We ate our food, left the bar early and went to the pub opposite, we then came back and cancelled our remaining night. It ruined what was such a great trip and his I’m always right, you’re always wrong attitude and unrivalled rudeness will keep us all away from what should be a stunning place.

As I say, such a shame. He clearly runs things his way, or no way. This is by no means a reflection on the other staff who were all absolutely fantastic.

Room Tip: The rooms were lovely, small, but clean and functional and dog freindly.
14  Thank Garipie
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Dear Garipie

Further to your review of your stay at the bridge Hotel it is with both regret and a little disappointment that I feel I must defend both my professional manner at work towards the guests I take great pride in caring for and the reputation of our establishment.

Clearly you feel very disappointed in my decision to uphold the policy of the Hotel and not allow you into the dining room in your jeans and polo t-shirt and I can in part understand this. Regarding your review there are a couple of points you raise that I feel require a little more clarity.

 You mention you arrived a little late for dinner? Was it not the case that I suggested you dine in the bar to allow you more time to relax into the accommodation? The point raised in question was the fact you had previously made late arrival arrangements with my female receptionist – We do not have any female staff working reception or reservations and I did comment accordingly
 Regarding dinner and its service you comment “No apology or suggestion of an alternative was made,” As I am sure you recall, I immediately went into the bar with the sole intention of securing a table for the four of you; which upon request I then moved as you did not want to sit “that side of the bar” – We run a very busy bar and it was essential that before I informed you of the need to serve you in there I assured we had a table – upon return as you say, I advised you of the fact I would serve your main course steaks to you (I also waived the supplementary charge of £4.95 per person) I suggested you could then enjoy a dessert. May I note you also had a cheeseboard for two; again I waived the charge without question. All told then a three course meal was served to your party. We do not usually serve dining room food into the bar but you will also agree I offered this for both main course and dessert and two of your party took me up on dining room desserts.
 Your main point of disagreement was in terms of the fact you never received your confirmation email which clearly stated our terms and conditions. You write that I “never came back with the email” – My recollection of this is very different – I made two trips to your table in the bar whilst you were dining; One of these was in between your main course and dessert where you asked me to produce the email in question. This was after I had shown you our computer property management systems statement that your email had been sent. The second trip was to show you the email in its entirety – I do note that this email even refers to your dog Dylan in name and I would hope this in some way shows our key customer focus. I have no explanation as to why you did not receive this email and I did apologise profusely at the time I showed you the documents in question.

There are a couple more points you fail to mention which may have painted just a little more favourable view of The Bridge and How we operate –

 Two of your party were accommodated into double bedded rooms on a sole occupancy basis upon request I authorised my receptionist to waive the single occupancy charge – Saving them £42.50 per person per night
 Upon departure your travel companions car key failed to work – I myself invited him into my office so he could call the breakdown recovery service, I then offered the three of you lunch served in the bar free of charge while you wait for the recovery to arrive. I also asked my reception manager to give you use of the accommodation you were leaving for the rest of the day should you need it.

I trust that you will be able to view my comments in the light with which they are intended. I have a great passion for service and the standards I encourage our team to maintain and I just very upset that you did not enjoy these. I cab hardly be to blame for a failing of an email – You mention that you are an IT engineer so you yourself know better than anyone that a two way interface between a property management system and an email client can in turn break communication to a server.

Steven Langley

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Excellent bar food real man size portions and very tasty the best I have had in Lakes and lovely breakfast in the morning although first place I have ever been where the fruit juice and cereal are ordered rather the usual self service. Hotel with plenty of character and whilst Fish Inn much more busy actually liked the ambiance in the Walkers bar and the outside seating next to the stream. The room I had was tastefully furnished, very comfortable bed, very clean but bath small and had to crouch under the shower not all people are under six foot! I was aware getting small double same price as a single so not really a problem and would actually stay in room again but only at single price. Like a lot of older hotels squeaky floorboards and a bit of noise but last orders 10pm and they lock doors so actually very quiet by 11pm which was great. Did Red Pike to Hasting walk fabulous views and will return to the Bridge to do other walks as overall a very good hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear Stuffof stars

Thank you for your review, again, I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and your walking.

We would hopefully be able to welcome you back in the near future. Just that short skip along the A66 and your with us, we do have a lot of guests from the Cleveland area visit.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Many thanks

Steven

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was taken here as part of my special birthday celebration. What a wonderful place to stay and visit. The room we were given was simply lovely, probably the best I have ever stayed in. Truly magnificent with the added bonus of being dual aspect we could see the fells as well as buttermere lake. The service we had from the moment of arrival to when we left was impeccable. The restaurant was not open the nights we were there but this was not a problem as the food in the bar was excellent,with variety of choices. Breakfast was traditionally served which was lovely to experience. Added bonus with staying here is the wonderful residents lounge. The whole hotel was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. I would love to go back but maybe not have to wait 10years for my next special birthday.

Room Tip: Room 18 is lovely
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LBYORK

Dear LBYORK -

Again HAPPY BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION !!! ..... it really was a delight to welcome you and I am just pleased that you enjoyed exactly what it was we strive to deliver.

************** WARM, HOMELY WELCOMES WITH A FRIENDLY SMILE THROUGHOUT ********

Maybe we will be luck enough that you choose to return for your next Birthday celebration. Until then

Kindest regards from us all at The Bridge.

Steven & Crew.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

There's an old joke about the traveller struggling through the desert, out of water, tired beyond measure when he sees a man walking towards him. The man walks up, has no water to hand, but offers to sell him a tie. This happens twice more; each time with offers of clothing for the dangerously dehydrating traveller. At his wits end he finally sees a building, crawls up to it and begs to be given some water.

The doorman refuses, saying he can't let him in without a tie.
The spirit of that doorman is alive and well in the general manager of the Bridge.

This is a hotel my parents had their honeymoon in; my family have been going to it off and on for 70 years. The location is fantastic, it has always understood climbers and their peculiarities; its miles from anywhere and revels in that.

But when we arrived after a 7 hour hard drive the manager found fault; I was too tired to think anything of it and can't remember the issue - no doubt he will.
As I'd never encountered rudeness at the Bridge before - I assumed it must be an aberration - he was having a bad day perhaps.

The following day after an heroic ascent of Hay Stacks during a deluge of biblical proportions, a further spat ensured, however, over dress code for the restaurant.

Lousy timing; piddling issue; it could have been resolved much more easily. There are apparently a host of rules and regulations which govern complex transfer pricing practices between one room and another - about which we knew nothing and cared less - but are now experts.

The abiding impression given was that guests are an inconvenient nuisance who have to be scolded and marshalled like inmates of some lousy care home.

Having annoyed both of the guests that I had paid in advance for, at no time did the GM approach me or seek anything other than some point scoring nonsense worthy only of Fawlty Towers.

The whole flavour of a stay changes on such small but pivotal moments.
The rooms suddenly felt pokey. Everywhere was stiflingly hot.
The lack of a tv in my 'standard' room was a pain.
The miniscule time window to get in for a breakfast was laughable. Lock outs after 10pm seem a quite common risk.
The fact that the wireless only reaches about 3 metres away from the reception desk was infuriating. There is no phone signal; nada, zip, nowt - absolutely nothing.
The Guinness was atrocious; the meal nothing special; they did chill a bottle of wine for us - but that was before we transgressed so heinously.
The packed lunch was a joke for £8 (but we did manage to order it in time - yeay).

I had planned to spend Sunday on my own reminiscing about my now departed dad - the man who introduced me to the Bridge and to climbing 50 years ago.
Cancelled.
The officiousness of one man soured the whole piece.

So for now - I'd recommend you give it a wide berth. Never thought I'd say that.
But try the Fish opposite, or any of the Borrowdale alternatives for a while.
It takes work to make a hotel like the Bridge have trouble filling its rooms.
We were bombarded with cheaper and cheaper offers and discounts for later stays and I was frankly surprised to find 3 rooms available when we had booked a few months earlier. Now I understand why.

I can see that the general manager reads these postings assiduously - I hope he reads this, several times.

Room Tip: Rooms above the bar on the first floor are hot; uncomfortably hot.
12  Thank Hussar15
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Another delightful stay at The Bridge. A special mention to Ray who very kindly allowed us to alter the date of our booking as we had a close family bereavement the week before we were due to stay. As we had paid in advance, he kept in touch via email until we felt ready for our break, and made it easy for us to re-book when it suited us. Thank you Ray, your kindness was appreciated.

Food was exquisite, and service pleasant and professional as always. A very friendly local hotel, where nothing is too much trouble. We stayed in Room 22 which has a small balcony overlooking the car park and was pristine in its cleanliness and décor. A welcome break from the hustle and bustle of ‘normal’ life.
Thank you all.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear Ilevidoll
Thank you for a very positive review of your recent stay with us. I am just sorry for your loss before you were able to join us and rest assured we will always try to accommodate a move of the nature yours was.

We are extremely proud of the standards our housekeeping team maintain and I am delighted you noted this on your review. They work extremely hard for us and I will ensure they receive a copy of your review.

We will hopefully be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Steven Langley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buttermere
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel
The Leathes Head Country House Hotel
Mary Mount Hotel
Mary Mount Hotel
#4 of 17 in Keswick

Been to Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!