Bridge Hotel
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
US$237
  • Bar/Lounge
The Fish Inn(Buttermere)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsred pikeresidents loungeself cateringbuttermere lakefleetwith pikewalkers bardrying roomlake districtbar mealsmuddy bootslakeland hotelcomfortable hotelpacked lunchget away from it allcrummock waterthe pubfour poster
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We recently stayed here to watch the Tour of Britain cycling event and we were impressed by the standard of the hotel. The location is spectacular and nicely quiet. The staff were all very welcoming and friendly. We arrived during the evening so ate in the bar. The food was good home-cooking and very generous portions with quick service. The atmosphere in the bar was warm and cosy. Wi-fi was only available in the lounge but again that was a lovely cosy room and nicely furnished. Our room (18) was at the top of the building with views of the fells. It was very nicely decorated and the bed was fairly comfortable although (as usual!) we would have liked more pillows. The breakfast was excellent - good choice of items and very good quality and served in the formal dining room which was very nice. We had ordered a packed lunch to take away with us which was very good value and included some delicious chocolate brownies. There are some raised manhole covers in the car park which made parking a little difficult. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would return again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear BillyBear01
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Bridge Hotel. I am delighted to read that your stay appears to have been a very enjoyable one.

What a fantastic time to visit ! The Tour of Britain was amazing to watch as it whizzed past our front door. I was amazed at just how many vehicles were involved and had not expected it to be so.

I trust that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future so you can again enjoy the experience.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

It was with great anticipation that I was returning to the Bridge Hotel. I had told my partner that I would like to be at my favourite place in Britain for this special birthday. I had stayed there several times in the 90’s and longed to go back. I was told at reception that the hotel has been in the same family for the last 35 years – a rare thing these days so I was looking forward to the same wonderful experience.

We were warmly greeted by a young man who helped us with our bags up to the room (No 23) which was delightful. The rooms have been beautifully refurbished since I was last here. This particular room has a balcony and views of Red Pike and the stream runs below (just ignore the car park – there is very little movement there). The bed was very comfortable too. I enjoy the fact that there is no TV or internet in the room; to just be in Buttermere is enough.

I had told my partner about the wonderful meals I’d eaten there, and how special the breakfasts were, so he booked to eat in the restaurant for 2 of the 3 nights. There are still notices on the door about being in the Michelin Guide in 2007 and for 2008; an independent indication of how good it was. Unfortunately I do have to say ‘was’.

We were thoroughly disappointed at the blandness of the evening meal, though the young foreign waitress couldn’t have been more pleasant and attentive. We cancelled our second night in the restaurant and ate in the bar instead (where the food was an improvement). Breakfast was no better. My scrambled eggs looked more like chopped hard boiled eggs swimming in liquid which I had to poor off in to a bowl so as not to drown the salmon. There was only one other couple at dinner and breakfast so there was no excuse. My partner’s poached eggs the next day fared no better, sitting out the ‘flood’ on top of very small, sad looking kipper – most unappetising. (We had delicious, beautifully cooked breakfasts in all the other places we stayed during our week).

I notice the demise of the resident’s free tea and cake in the afternoon which used to be compensation for the lack of TV, radio and phone reception and was a nice touch. There is now available a full afternoon tea for £17.95! I know things have to change with these economic times, still, a shame.

However being made to feel special staying at the Bridge is something that should never change. Yet S, who I assume is the General Manager, had such an air of condescension, of snobbery, a way of delaying a reply to a request, just enough to make you feel you were being a nuisance, that he managed to sour our experience.

Fortunately there was a different chap at reception the day we checked out who couldn’t have been more friendly.

Dear Bridge Hotel please make the dining experience as great as it used to be and Reception represent the heart of the hotel – that feeling of being welcome is so important. It takes us a whole day travelling to arrive at your wonderful part of the world – make it worth it again.

Room Tip: No 23 beautifully decorated with balcony, bed really comfortable
Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C D
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The Bridge Hotel had been recommended to us and we were not disappointed.
Great location: quiet and with some great walks straight from the hotel.
Food was good. Large breakfasts with a wide range of options. We enjoyed the evening meals in the dining room: relaxed atmosphere, not all stuffy.
Staff were very attentive. Sharon was very welcoming each evening and went out of her way to help me with driving instructions. We also lost something at the hotel and staff were very helpful in sending it on to us once it was found.
Hope to return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear MrH875,

Again, I am delighted that you experienced exactly what it is we strive to offer. A very personal and attentive service.

Sharon is proving to be a very popular member of our team and I am delighted about this. She was quite nervous of entering into the industry and will be thrilled that she is "cracking it " so very well.

Thank you for your kind words, we truly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights, 2 were great, one was bad.
Beware diners of the restaurant. You will be hasseled into purchasing water!, more wine and coffee or tea. The later carrying a heavy supplement and not worth it.
For our last 2 nights though we had a lady called Sharon serving us, What a delight, she was professional, polite, funny - just great. She made our stay, nothing was to much trouble, She went out of her way with all the diners. Congratulations to the Manager that employed her - a real asset.
Beware of some of the other staff, that is a different thing.

Dear John D,
Thank you for your review of The Bridge Hotel, I am sorry that you felt at all pushed into buying anything other than what you wanted during your stay. I would never enforce a "hard sell" tactic on anything in the Hotel and I will be reiterating this to the service staff. We will always be very happy to serve Iced water on the tables during dinner as we are blessed with the best of Tap water in this part of The Lake District, again my apologies you felt hassled.

Yes, Sharon is proving to be a real asset to the team and I am delighted to have her with us. When I employed her she was very clear in offering the "lack of experience" she has in the industry but her calming manner and quality of care was evident from the outset. i am sure she will grow to be an invaluable member of our Hotel team and I will certainly ensure she gets to read your kind review.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

For us, a nice place to stay does not just have good facilities and great food, though the Bridge Hotel certainly has both. We value the personal touch that one more often associates with a pleasant B&B or guest house. This hotel manages to combine the best of both worlds. All the staff were friendly, helpful, courteous and quite simply made our stay really enjoyable. So much so, that we intend to return and take advantage of one of their 'Muddy Boots' deals later this year.

Facilities-wise, the hotel has an excellent drying room. Of no consequence to us was the absence of a TV in the bedroom. The free wifi didn't reach as far as our room, but worked fine in the lounge.

We arrived too late to have a meal in the residents' restaurant, but the bar food was tasty, good value and the portions generous. Breakfast was high quality. It was selected from a menu rather than self-service and I wondered if I'd be able to charge up with enough calories to cope with the day's walking. Once again, however, portions were ample and my concerns were unfounded.

Located in beautiful surroundings, in our opinion this is a great place to stay.

Dear Fishkinger,

Thank you for your very comprehensive review of your experience with us at The Bridge Hotel. I am delighted that we were able to offer "Exactly what you wanted" we all work extremely hard to deliver the high standards of service that today's discerning traveler should enjoy.

We pride ourselves being able to offer "plenty of calories to scale mountains" with breakfast and I am please that your batteries were suitably charge - We will always deliver more food to your table if you would like.

I look forward to being able to welcome you for a return journey when you are next able to travel.

Until such a time I wish you all the very best.

Steven Langley