“Wonderful few days in the Lakes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bridge Hotel

Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buttermere
Falmouth, Cornwall
“Wonderful few days in the Lakes!”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The Bridge Hotel is a wonderful Lake District Hotel/Inn that ticks all the boxes as far as I am concerned. Downstairs is the Inn, a good honest Lakes pub serving top-notch bar meals all day. Swift service is pretty much guaranteed, The hotel is just how you'd hope it to be, a lovely comfy guests-only lounge, an excellent dining room (with wonderful breakfasts), and very nice rooms. Service all round is wonderful, nothing seems to be too much trouble for them. I had a very happy week here and would heartily recommend it to anyone without reservation - and there's not many places I would say that about either!!

Room Tip: Superior rooms are well worth a little extra, very nicely appointed indeed.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear booksearch22
Thank you for your very kind review, I am delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of The Bridge Hotel and Inn. We do work extremely hard to deliver that very personal service at the higher end of hospitality and I am just very pleased that your stay was an enjoyable one.

We would love to be able to welcome you back in the near future, and hope that we can do so.

Until then, all the very best to you.

Steven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

It was a big birthday for me so my husband gave me a week in one of the Bridge apartments which sleeps 4 so I could go hiking with some of my friends. Maybe he wanted rid of me for the week or maybe he wanted me to see how lovely the apartments are. I am a staunch YHA supporter and he has always lived it up at the Bridge with his lads week. Going back to the YHA is going to be very very hard. I've been going to the Bridge for meals (which are lovely) and drinks for years but have never experienced the apartments. They are really well appointed, have good quality large electrical goods (Bosch etc) and the bathrooms are superb. The top bathroom is a wet room and there is a shower and bath in the dowstairs bathroom. Never underestimate the luxury of underfloor heating when your feet are pounding from a long walk. We were all delighted with the quality of the place and the staff are all great. I was surprised at how friendly they all were considering they must see new people day in day out. I had a Deaf friend staying with me and she was so pleased that they were so considerate and made sure they spoke clearly so she could lip read easily. I'm not sure that the YHA will ever be the same again so I'll just have to badger my friends to come up with me again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathy T
Dear KathyT
Thank you for taking the time top make a review of your recent stay with us at The Bridge Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! It was great having you here.
I also love the underfloor heating - Not to be sniffed at in the Winter months getting out of bed and a cosy warm bathroom makes it hard to go outdoors!

Come again soon, we look forward to welcoming you.

Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Our group of 4 walkers arrived looking forward to clean, comfortable accommodation and got exactly what we wanted. All of our rooms were very well refurbished. The beds were very comfortable. My room, #20, had a fantastic shower with outstanding toiletry amenities.

We could all clearly see how this would be a great property to come to, relax and enjoy circular walks from Buttermere to the fells around.

As we were well aware of the smart dress code for the dining room we did not plan to eat there. Went to the bar and had a few beers; very enjoyable.

We all very much enjoyed our morning breakfast. We thought the choice was excellent and the food was very good. Unlike many of the other properties we stayed at there was sufficient choice of food items that all of us enjoyed our own, custom breakfast. I would heartily recommend their special yogurt, muesli, fruit cup in the morning; fantastic.

The drying room was particularily good and all our rain soaked gear dried overnight. Perfect.

Just a note for future walkers coming to Buttermere. There is a bakery next to the hotel but it does not open until 10 am. If you require food there are no shops and one must take advantage of the packed lunches offered. This did not occur to us until very late in the evening while we were at the Fish Inn next door and they thankfully conjured up lunches for us. I am not sure, but can only imagine, that the Bridge Hotel offers packed lunches as well.

All of us enjoyed our stay, found the rooms comfortable and the breakfasts very good.

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear BuccaneerDave,
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay.
We are certainly very well situated for walking and I trust you found everything you needed when up on the fells.
We do pride ourselves on our breakfast and we hope that we stock up our guests for their long days ahead - Hayley does a cracking good job preparing all the compote, home made museli, yogurt and prunes - A refreshing start to the day.

We look forward to being able to welcome you again in the near future.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We recently stayed here to watch the Tour of Britain cycling event and we were impressed by the standard of the hotel. The location is spectacular and nicely quiet. The staff were all very welcoming and friendly. We arrived during the evening so ate in the bar. The food was good home-cooking and very generous portions with quick service. The atmosphere in the bar was warm and cosy. Wi-fi was only available in the lounge but again that was a lovely cosy room and nicely furnished. Our room (18) was at the top of the building with views of the fells. It was very nicely decorated and the bed was fairly comfortable although (as usual!) we would have liked more pillows. The breakfast was excellent - good choice of items and very good quality and served in the formal dining room which was very nice. We had ordered a packed lunch to take away with us which was very good value and included some delicious chocolate brownies. There are some raised manhole covers in the car park which made parking a little difficult. Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would return again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear BillyBear01
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Bridge Hotel. I am delighted to read that your stay appears to have been a very enjoyable one.

What a fantastic time to visit ! The Tour of Britain was amazing to watch as it whizzed past our front door. I was amazed at just how many vehicles were involved and had not expected it to be so.

I trust that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future so you can again enjoy the experience.

ipswich UK
Reviewed 16 September 2013

It was with great anticipation that I was returning to the Bridge Hotel. I had told my partner that I would like to be at my favourite place in Britain for this special birthday. I had stayed there several times in the 90’s and longed to go back. I was told at reception that the hotel has been in the same family for the last 35 years – a rare thing these days so I was looking forward to the same wonderful experience.

We were warmly greeted by a young man who helped us with our bags up to the room (No 23) which was delightful. The rooms have been beautifully refurbished since I was last here. This particular room has a balcony and views of Red Pike and the stream runs below (just ignore the car park – there is very little movement there). The bed was very comfortable too. I enjoy the fact that there is no TV or internet in the room; to just be in Buttermere is enough.

I had told my partner about the wonderful meals I’d eaten there, and how special the breakfasts were, so he booked to eat in the restaurant for 2 of the 3 nights. There are still notices on the door about being in the Michelin Guide in 2007 and for 2008; an independent indication of how good it was. Unfortunately I do have to say ‘was’.

We were thoroughly disappointed at the blandness of the evening meal, though the young foreign waitress couldn’t have been more pleasant and attentive. We cancelled our second night in the restaurant and ate in the bar instead (where the food was an improvement). Breakfast was no better. My scrambled eggs looked more like chopped hard boiled eggs swimming in liquid which I had to poor off in to a bowl so as not to drown the salmon. There was only one other couple at dinner and breakfast so there was no excuse. My partner’s poached eggs the next day fared no better, sitting out the ‘flood’ on top of very small, sad looking kipper – most unappetising. (We had delicious, beautifully cooked breakfasts in all the other places we stayed during our week).

I notice the demise of the resident’s free tea and cake in the afternoon which used to be compensation for the lack of TV, radio and phone reception and was a nice touch. There is now available a full afternoon tea for £17.95! I know things have to change with these economic times, still, a shame.

However being made to feel special staying at the Bridge is something that should never change. Yet S, who I assume is the General Manager, had such an air of condescension, of snobbery, a way of delaying a reply to a request, just enough to make you feel you were being a nuisance, that he managed to sour our experience.

Fortunately there was a different chap at reception the day we checked out who couldn’t have been more friendly.

Dear Bridge Hotel please make the dining experience as great as it used to be and Reception represent the heart of the hotel – that feeling of being welcome is so important. It takes us a whole day travelling to arrive at your wonderful part of the world – make it worth it again.

Room Tip: No 23 beautifully decorated with balcony, bed really comfortable
Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank funat41
Kent
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The Bridge Hotel had been recommended to us and we were not disappointed.
Great location: quiet and with some great walks straight from the hotel.
Food was good. Large breakfasts with a wide range of options. We enjoyed the evening meals in the dining room: relaxed atmosphere, not all stuffy.
Staff were very attentive. Sharon was very welcoming each evening and went out of her way to help me with driving instructions. We also lost something at the hotel and staff were very helpful in sending it on to us once it was found.
Hope to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear MrH875,

Again, I am delighted that you experienced exactly what it is we strive to offer. A very personal and attentive service.

Sharon is proving to be a very popular member of our team and I am delighted about this. She was quite nervous of entering into the industry and will be thrilled that she is "cracking it " so very well.

Thank you for your kind words, we truly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights, 2 were great, one was bad.
Beware diners of the restaurant. You will be hasseled into purchasing water!, more wine and coffee or tea. The later carrying a heavy supplement and not worth it.
For our last 2 nights though we had a lady called Sharon serving us, What a delight, she was professional, polite, funny - just great. She made our stay, nothing was to much trouble, She went out of her way with all the diners. Congratulations to the Manager that employed her - a real asset.
Beware of some of the other staff, that is a different thing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear John D,
Thank you for your review of The Bridge Hotel, I am sorry that you felt at all pushed into buying anything other than what you wanted during your stay. I would never enforce a "hard sell" tactic on anything in the Hotel and I will be reiterating this to the service staff. We will always be very happy to serve Iced water on the tables during dinner as we are blessed with the best of Tap water in this part of The Lake District, again my apologies you felt hassled.

Yes, Sharon is proving to be a real asset to the team and I am delighted to have her with us. When I employed her she was very clear in offering the "lack of experience" she has in the industry but her calming manner and quality of care was evident from the outset. i am sure she will grow to be an invaluable member of our Hotel team and I will certainly ensure she gets to read your kind review.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back in the very near future.

Steven
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buttermere
The Leathes Head Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel
#1 of 1 in Grange-in-Borrowdale

Been to Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!