“Astonishing lack of customer care”
Review of Bridge Hotel

Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buttermere
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Having written a carefully balanced review of a disappointing visit with my family in August 2013, I received a message from the General Manager saying he couldn't find my booking to assess my comments. I explained that I used a pseudonym and gave my real name, expecting at least some sort of apology or perhaps even an olive branch to make up for the very expensive and hugely disappointing stay we'd had.

I have heard nothing, not a thing!

January is not a busy time and I have purposefully given the hotel plenty of time to get back to me.

Having had one decent stay a couple of years before, I had expected better. Since you clearly do not value your customers I can assure you now that we will definitely not be back.

I have been looking after customers in my own work for many years and the mantra "the customer is always right" (even if you don't think they are) clearly doesn't hold true here. I suggest the General Manager takes a short course in customer care.

Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank FrancisRoth
Bridge H, General Manager at Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Francisroth,

Thank you for taking the time with your original review as posted on 12th December 2013. As discussed when i called you I was investigating the circumstances surrounding your disappointment and the issues you raised.

I am very sorry that you feel the need to again post a negative review and more so that you feel an "astonishing lack of customer care". I assure you that the delay in only in the fact that the Hotel has been closed from 6th January and that i only returned to the office and service on 30th January.

Rest assured, I care very much when our customers are less than 100% satisfied and I am extremely saddened to read that you feel unable to return to the Bridge.

Please believe me when I say that before my departure on annual leave on 4th January 2014 I had made several attempts to call you and further discuss matters, i am only sorry that i was unable to speak with you directly.

Should you wish to discuss matters further I would be delighted to hear from you at a time convenient to yourself. 017687 70252.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here for a very short break before heading back to work.
The stay was a real bargain.
Good food, beer and room, could only ask for increased water pressure but they are fixing that now
with the refurb' work they are doing whilst they are closed!!
Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear graemechorley,

Thank you for taking some time to visit the Bridge Hotel and subsequently writing a very fair and kind review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us - you will be happy I am sure to learn that the pressure of the five bathrooms in question is not an issue any longer - the plumber has done an amazing job installing secondary pumping into that section of the house and the decorators whizzed in and "cleaned up after them" all in the space of a couple of short weeks closure.

We truly look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Until such a time all the very best.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night after NYE. We had arrived early and had lunch in the bar, which I was extremely impressed with. Really lovely food, beautifully presented. It was then with some surprise that when we were escorted to our room, right at the top of the building, I was slightly horrified by the slightly shabby, tatty surroundings, along with our room, that was stuck in the 1950's!! For goodness sake, a little refurb would NOT go amiss! Especially as the prices are really high, for what they offer.
Dinner though was superb. Excellent food, again beautifully and imaginatively presented. You wouldn't get a better meal in London, believe me!
I would classify this hotel as a restaurant with rooms. The management have concentrated on the food aspect of this establishment, at the expense of the rooms. However I must make a mention in despatches about the staff. They were very nice indeed.
Would i stay there again? No, I would stay elsewhere, but eat at The Bridge!!

Room Tip: If you're are disabled, forget it....there are loads of stairs and no lift!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mickigirl1310

Dear Mikigirl1310,

Thank you for taking some time to review your recent stay with us at The Bridge Hotel.

In the instance I am pleased that your stay appears at least to have been enjoyable and that you experienced the quality of food we strive to present.

I am of course upset to read that you did not enjoy your room at all. As with all small hotels, we operate a "rolling as required" refurbishment programme. I am sure that you will understand, bedrooms can absorb in the region of a few thousand pounds very easily and with 19 rooms we must action accordingly. may I ask if you mentioned this to any of my team during your stay?

If you would be so kind as to email me directly so I can further discuss matters. gm@bridge-hotel.com

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We were once again at the Bridge staying over Christmas, this being our 7th year, and once again our stay was very comfortable and we were well looked after by the whole team.

If you are looking to get away from it all at Christmas then I would strongly suggest you give the Bridge a try - don't expect TV in your room or wifi access - if you need these things then the Bridge experience is not for you. If on the other hand you want to escape from this things and enjoy good food, friendly and polite service in scenery that is second to none then the Bridge should certainly be on your list.

Over the last year the Bridge has gotten even better with some new management staff and this can certainly be felt in both the atmosphere and the level of service, not that it wasn't good before.

Will certainly be back and hopefully before Christmas.

1  Thank KFK427

Dear KFK427,

Firstly happy new year ! i trust you had a wonderful time. It really was again wonderful having you with us for what is a very special time of year.

I am delighted that your experience met with your expectations. I truly thank you for your kind comments on the management and Atmosphere, it is always a worry when joining a long established business, and as you say, one that has a great reputation. The "New" team will be delighted to read your comments.

Until next time.

Steven and crew

Reviewed 28 December 2013

This was the first Xmas we had ever been away so approached it with a mix of anticipation and trepidation. However we had been in regular contact with the hotel staff (Ray) via Facebook and Twitter and from the first moment we arrived and met Attilla we knew it was going to be fine.

Our room was number 7 and was always warm and had a spacious bathroom with 2 sinks. Yes you could see the working farm across the way and a fire escape but it also had a fantastic view of Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks. Yes the bath did take a long time to fill but gives you more time to look at Haystacks! Bath itself was a reasonable size.

On our first evening we came down and Steven the Hotel Manager introduced himself and we were offered the choice of a meal in the bar or dining room and decided for the bar. The bar is a walkers bar and serves a number of local real ales. There is an extensive menu and several specials on the board. I had the Lamb Hotpot which was great and Linda had the fish pie which she said was the best she had ever had. At the end we went into the residents bar with our drinks which was warmed by a fantastic real fire and was a very cosy place. Other reviews have described it as a library and yes there is a section with a large bookcase! It was however a very welcoming room and if you wanted to chat to other residents that was fine or equally if you wanted to read. WiFi is available in the lounge and around reception and the speeds were fine. I was asked if I needed any help with settings and they offered to reboot if it had been slow.
Xmas morning we woke to a fantastic view of Haystacks and a lovely day. A large black bin bag had been provided for our wrapping paper which was a nice touch. At breakfast we were shown our table and explained it would be our table for our stay which we liked. A breakfast menu is available and you order everything from your chair. There is no buffet table. Again we liked that. We had the full breakfast on two of the days which was fantastic but on Boxing Day had a ham, tomato, cucumber, cheese and chutney platter which was just right after a large meal the night before.
Xmas Day we had a nice walk round the Lake and came down about 6 for a drink in the lounge and to choose our four course meal. We were then shown to our tables just before 7pm. All residents were expected to eat around this time which I think was fine for Xmas Day. (On Boxing Day evening you could pick your own time). We had been able to select our wines earlier so were waiting for us.
I had the duck parfait which was very light and Linda had scallops, prawns and noodles which had an Asian influence and we both enjoyed our starters. Nice sorbet in between and then Xmas Dinner! Our turkey and all the trimmings was really good. I think it was a Cocklakes Farm turkey from near Penrith. The highlight was actually the sprouts! Little button ones served al dente and lovely flavour. As the writer is not keen on sprouts this is quite a recommendation. Our two young waitresses and Steven looked after us very well. Rum crime brulee and a nice port followed. Another nice touch was that the chef and other kitchen staff were brought out at the end for a well deserved round of applause. We had coffee in the lounge and the hotel has a very wide range of malts which was availed of.
Boxing Day followed a similar pattern. Good breakfast, bracing walk, being looked after in either the bar or lounge. For our evening meal I had sea bass carpaccio as a starter, Linda had a mushroom, cheese mille feuille and for mains we had a gorgeous pan fried halibut. In between a black currant cassis sorbet. Dessert was roasted peaches for me and Linda had a sticky gingerbread with white chocolate.

Overall we had a fantastic time at the Bridge. I have read some of the earlier reviews and to be frank I think the Hotel is right to have a smart/casual dress code for the dining room. If you don't want to comply then simply go in the bar area. It has also been mentioned that the hotel is cold. Certainly not the case in our room or the lounge. I did feel a bit chilly in the dining room at breakfast on Xmas Day but this was because our table was next to a window with a view of the stream below. I put a sweater on the next morning and was fine.

Overall we had a fantastic time and would definitely return. Everyone we met - Steven, Ray, Attila, Stefan, the two cleaning ladies (who told us which were the best rooms and No I am not going to reveal that!), the two young waitresses and kitchen staff could not have been more attentive and friendly.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kizzy192

Dear Kizzy192,

Wow, what an amazing review and some extremely kind words - I am sure you can imagine how nervous delivering such a special time of year can make us.

We all work hard to try and ensure it is the magic you could expect and I am delighted that you experienced this as all the team will be.

I am sorry that it has taken me a while to reply to your review, the Hotel has been closed from 6th January and I was just back in the office yesterday.

I laughed when I read that you had been gaining "insider information" that you were not willing to share with the world! .... enjoy your next stay and we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I do not know what some people are complaining about here! My Wife booked us in for a weekend break and we loved it. Firstly Buttermere is beautiful and an amazing place to walk, cycle or just relax which is what we did.
Our welcome was fantastic and our room was really nice. I loved the fact there was no TV as it meant I was forced to go downstairs and sit by a log fire, drink amazing ale and read a book. The food here is great. The Beer is good. The walkers bar is just what you need and the breakfast was top of the shelf.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LauraMandMattJ

Dear LauraMandMattJ,

Firstly my sincere apologies that it has taken me so long to reply to your very kind review, It seems that the Christmas period has monopolised my time and then we were closed for January - Back at the desk now!

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time at the Bridge hotel and I thank you for your kind words and we look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Steven and Team

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We recently stayed at the Bridge Hotel as part of a group. The hotel is beautifully situated and the views are fantastic. Our Muddy Boots offer was great value - for what we got. Note though for other guests - several of our party were in cold damp rooms no 19 specific to this. The food in the bar was good but the restaurant food was served luke warm. The restaurant was full of our party and it was like being taken into a childrens dinning room. We were informed by Steven that we had to meet in the lounge and then be seated in small groups by him. We felt like we were at school and he was the head teacher! It was a laugh at FIRST! Not until everyone was seated did the meals get served. This resulted in LUKE warm food especially the main meal. The hotel appeared to be making up for the reduced financial offer by limiting the heating and staff. There were only two waitress's serving and they had to serve drinks from the bar as well.
The breakfast service was the same.
I do not think with the insufficient staff in attendance and what appears to be corners cut in other areas, that it rates the hotel as high as it could be - shame.

Room Tip: Note the deal offers
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buttermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Rosthwaite
The Borrowdale Hotel
The Borrowdale Hotel
#4 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!